BALTIMORE (AP) - All eyes will be on Kentucky Derby winner Orb in the Preakness Stakes on Saturday. The 3-year-old colt will take on eight challengers in the second leg of the Triple Crown. If he wins, Orb will attempt to become the first Triple Crown champion since Affirmed in 1978 at the Belmont Stakes on June 8. In the Preakness, Orb will be facing five horses he defeated in the Derby and three who did not run in the race.
Here's a guide to watching the race:
- INSIDE START. Orb will start from the inside, No. 1 gate. If this was the Kentucky Derby that could be a major problem because there would be more of a chance of getting squeezed back in the pack. The Derby field was 19; the Preakness is nine, with a longer run to the first turn than at Churchill Downs. However, since 1961 only one horse - Tabasco Cat in 1994 - has won from the No. 1 post.
- FIRST TURN. By the first turn, we'll know whether Orb, under jockey Joel Rosario, has established clear-running position. The question is how far back he'll settle. In the Derby, with its much larger field, Orb dropped 18 lengths off the pace. Look for him to be much closer as Govenor Charlie, Goldencents, Itsmyluckyday and Titletown Five vie for the early lead.
- BACKSTRETCH: Around the turn and into the backstretch, Orb should find a comfortable groove as the field sorts into clusters: speed horses, midpack runners and closers. If the early pace is fast, Orb could be farther back; if it's slow, he could be in the middle.
- FINAL TURN: Heading into the final turn is when Orb should be making his move. In the Derby, Rosario waited patiently to make the call and when he did, Orb went from 16th to the lead in the final half-mile and won by 2 1/2 lengths.
- HEADED FOR HOME: The stretch run is anyone's guess, but if all goes according to form, Orb should be in the mix to win no matter what the pace. Among proven closers in the field are Mylute, Departing and Will Take Charge. If the sloppy track was the reason both Goldencents and Itsmyluckday ran so poorly, then either or both could rebound with a big race and prove hard to catch in the lane.
Follow Richard Rosenblatt on Twitter at: http://www.twitter.com/rosenblattap
AP NEWS The Associated Press News Service
Copyright 2015 The Associated Press All Rights Reserved
Mike DempseyMike covers the New York racing circuit (Aqueduct, Belmont Park, and Saratoga) year round as well as Keeneland, Churchill Downs, the Triple Crown, and the Breeders' Cup. The 2015 Triple Crown saw Mike correctly predict American Pharoah to win both the Preakness Stakes and Belmont Stakes. Mike nailed the Exacta and Trifecta in the Belmont Stakes. Mike had a solid 2014 Triple Crown race season, correctly picking the winning horse in 2 of 3 races. He selected I'll Have another to win The Preakness, and nailed Union Rags to win the Belmont Stakes as his top pick. Mike also had past success in the Kentucky Derby, winning with Animal Kingdom in 2011 and rode his top picks, Super Saver and Street Sense, to the finish line in 2010 and 2007 respectively. No handicapper in the industry works harder to bring you analysis that produces profits at the track! Mike's Reports include his selections, detailed analysis, a fair odds line, and wagering recommendations for the entire card. Join Mike each day with daily picks from Belmont and Churchill Downs or you can get his Weekend Best Plays Report in his Multi-Track package or sit at the track with him for 30 Days with his Monthly Horse Package!
HORSE RACING EXPERT
Jerry SessaJerry "Shots" Sessa has been involved in horse racing for over 30 years. He now brings his meticulous handicapping style to VegasInsider.com. When Jerry posts picks you are getting his best bets...when you win, he wins. In the 2015 Belmont Stakes Jerry dominated races 8-11 by hitting a $4,400 Pick 4, 3 Daily Doubles, 2 Pick 3's and calling American Pharoah as the first Triple Crown winner in 36 years. Jerry is always looking to repeat his 2012 Triple Crown success, when he selected the winning horses for The Preakness and The Belmont Stakes. Jerry looks forward to working with everyone and making money for anyone who invests in his picks on a daily basis. Join Jerry everyday with daily picks from
Belmont Park, Churchill Downs, and Santa Anita or choose a package that contains selections from Multiple Tracks for the LOW PRICE of $19.95! Or better yet, how about 30 Days of horse racing picks with his Monthly Racing Package for ONLY $99.95!