Last Updated Mar 25, 2022, 01:40 AM
Houston Cougars vs. Arizona Wildcats Picks, Predictions, Odds
Sports Betting Expert
The Houston Cougars (31-5) of the American Athletic Conference (AAC) face the Arizona Wildcats (33-3) of the Pac-12 Conference in Sweet Sixteen action in the NCAA Tournament. Tip-off is scheduled for Thursday at 9:59 p.m. ET at AT&T Center in San Antonio, Texas, and the game can be viewed on TBS.
Houston 71, Arizona 69
Houston +110 ML
Under 145 (-105)
MARCH MADNESS BETTING RESOURCES
- How to Bet on March Madness
- NCAA Tournament Sleeper Teams
- NCAA Tournament Contenders to Fade
- NCAA Tournament Contenders to Back
- NCAA Tournament Most Outstanding Player Picks
- NCAA Tournament Efficiency Ratings
- Where to Bet on the NCAA Tournament?
HOUSTON COUGARS vs. ARIZONA WILDCATS PREDICTIONS
The Houston Cougars went to the Final Four last season, eventually falling 78-59 to eventual national champion Baylor. Houston is looking to go deep into the tournament yet again after bouncing UAB and Illinois, but the Cougars face the No. 1 seed in the region. Houston has been on fire in the postseason so far, going 5-0 SU/ATS en route to an ACC Tournament championship and trip to the Sweet Sixteen. But the Cougars certainly wouldn't be satisfied with a loss Thursday.
The Arizona Wildcats are also 5-0 SU during the postseason, covering just two times, however, including 0-2 ATS during the NCAA Tournament. The Wildcats comfortably won 87-70 against Wright State in the opener, before edging TCU in overtime by an 85-80 score as the OVER connected. In fact, the OVER is 4-1 in Arizona's five games during the postseason. Arizona hit 46% (31-of-68) from the field, but were just 19% (5-of-27) from behind the 3-point line while turning it over 16 times. If it has that kind of dismal showing from behind the arc while turning it over, it's going to be a long night against Houston.
HOUSTON COUGARS vs. ARIZONA WILDCATS BETTING ODDS
BETTING ON COLLEGE BASKETBALL
Best College Basketball Betting Sites:
Where to bet on College Basketball:
HOUSTON COUGARS vs. ARIZONA WILDCATS BETTING RESOURCES
- Date: Thursday, March 24, 2022
- Matchup: No. 5 vs. No. 1
- Region: South
- Venue: AT&T Center
- Location: San Antonio, Texas
- TV-Time: TBS - 9:59 p.m. ET
- Viewable Brackets & Odds
- Team Trends & NCAA Records
- March Madness History
- East Region Breakdown
- Midwest Region Breakdown
- South Region Breakdown
- West Region Breakdown
HOUSTON COUGARS BETTING ANALYSIS
Straight Up - SU, Against the Spread - ATS, Over-Under (O/U)
- SU: 31-5
- ATS: 24-12
- O/U: 15-19-2
The Cougars are on fire with five straight covers in the postseason, while going 9-1 ATS in the past 10 games overall. Houston has certainly been a friend to the bettor since late February.
Houston enters this one with an impressive mark as an underdog, too, going 12-3 ATS in the past 15 such situations, while going 7-2 ATS in the past nine as an underdog in neutral-site games. Houston is also 4-0 ATS in the past four against winning teams, while going 25-9 ATS in the past 34 in neutral-site affairs.
For the total, it's all about the UNDER for Houston lately. The UNDER is 6-2-1 in the past nine games overall for the Cougars, while going 14-6 in the past 20 as an underdog, too. For neutral-site games, the UNDER is 5-2 in the past seven for Houston, and 4-1 in the past five neutral-site games as a 'dog, too. It sounds pretty cut and dry for total bettors.
ARIZONA WILDCATS BETTING ANALYSIS
Straight Up - SU, Against the Spread - ATS, Over-Under (O/U)
- SU: 33-3
- ATS: 20-15-1
- O/U: 21-15
For Arizona, the Wildcats have managed eight consecutive victories, although they're just 2-3 ATS in five postseason games, while going 3-4 ATS in the past seven games overall. The good news is that Arizona hasn't failed to cover three in a row since Dec. 18-Jan. 3 against Cal Baptist, Tennessee and Washington.
The Wildcats have really struggled against the number in the postseason, and on neutral floor games. Arizona is 4-11 ATS in the past 15 neutral-site games, while going 3-10 ATS in the past 13 neutral-site battles as a favorite. It's also 0-4 ATS in the past four NCAA Tournament games, while going 0-4 ATS in the past four NCAA Tournament games as a favorite.
As far as totals are concerned, it's all about the OVER for Arizona. The OVER is 7-1 in the past eight games overall for the Wildcats, while going 7-1 in the past eight as a favorite, too. The OVER is 4-1 in the past five neutral-site games, too. After a non-cover, the OVER is 7-0 in the past seven games, too, while going 6-1 in the past seven after a straight-up win, as well.
INSIDE THE STATS - HOUSTON COUGARS
- Record: 31-5
- PS/G: 75.8 (52nd)
- PA/G: 59.0 (4th)
INSIDE THE STATS - ARIZONA WILDCATS
- Record: 33-3
- PS/G: 84.6 (3rd)
- PA/G: 67.9 (140th)
KEY PLAYERS TO WATCH
- HOU: Kyler Edwards - G (13.6 PPG, 5.9 RPG, 3.0 APG, 1.0 SPG)
- HOU: Marcus Sasser - G (17.7 PPG, 2.8 RPG, 2.6 APG, 2.2 SPG, 43.7 3P%)
- ARIZ: Bennedict Mathurin - G (17.3 PPG, 5.7 RPG, 2.5 APG, 1.0 SPG, 37.9 3P%)
- ARIZ: Azuolas Tubelis - F (14.7 PPG, 6.3 RPG, 2.4 APG, 1.0 SPG, 55.0 FG%)
HOUSTON COUGARS vs. ARIZONA WILDCATS BETTING CONCLUSION
Houston is looking to build something after going to the Final Four a season ago. Arizona has re-emerged as a national power after some trying years, and it is looking to climb back to the top of the mountain. It's a really intriguing matchup for the Sweet Sixteen, and could easily be a Final Four matchup for much larger stakes.
I really like what the Cougars did last season, and it has been super steady this season, scoring enough points while playing a lockdown defense. They'll have their hands full against Bennedict Mathurin, who has looked like one of the best, if not the best, player in the NCAA Tournament so far. But if any team can handle Mathurin and the Wildcats, it's the Cougars. We'll see whether offense or defense wins championships, but the old adage is defense wins championships, and Houston has a lot of it. It might not be good enough to win it all, but the Cougars have plenty to get through to the Elite Eight.
MARCH MADNESS PICK RESOURCES
HOUSTON COUGARS vs. ARIZONA WILDCATS BETTING TRENDS
- Houston is 5-0 ATS in the past five games overall.
- Houston is 12-3 ATS in the past 15 as an underdog.
- Houston is 25-9 ATS in the past 34 neutral-site games.
- Houston is 7-2 ATS in the past nine neutral-site games as an underdog.
- Arizona 0-4 ATS in the past four NCAA Tournament games.
- Arizona is 4-11 ATS in the past 15 neutral-site games.
- Arizona is 3-10 ATS in the past 13 neutral-site games as a favorite.
- The UNDER is 6-2-1 in the past nine games for Houston.
- The UNDER is 14-6 in the past 20 as a 'dog for Houston.
- The UNDER is 5-2 in the past seven neutral-site games for Houston.
- The OVER is 7-1 in the past eight games for Arizona.
- The OVER is 7-1 in the past eight as a favorite for Arizona.
- The OVER is 4-1 in the past five neutral-site games for Arizona.
- The OVER is 7-0 in the past seven following an ATS loss for Arizona.