Top 25 Betting Recap - Week 1
September 3, 2013
By Mike Rose
Editor's Note: Don't miss out on Mike Rose's college football selections on VegasInsider.com this season. Click to win!
Week 1 of the 2013 NCAA football betting season is in the books, and today, we're going to be taking a look at each of the Top 25 teams in the land and see how they did from an ATS (Against-the-Spread) perspective in their first go at it of the year.
(Results in parentheses represent SU and ATS Results)
1) Alabama (W-W vs. Virginia Tech 35-10)
The Tide only rolled to a cover in this one because of two returns for touchdowns.
2) Ohio State (W-L vs. Buffalo 40-20)
Braxton Miller looks like the real deal, but after going up 23-0 after 1, the Bucks were outscored by the Bulls the rest of the way for an ATS defeat.
3) Oregon (W-W vs. Nicholls State 66-3)
Nicholls State never had a chance. Oregon had the ball for just 19 minutes and rolled up 772 yards of offense.
4) Stanford (Bye)
5) Georgia (L-L vs. Clemson 38-35)
The Dawgs have some regrouping to do after suffering their first loss of the season, especially with South Carolina on tap.
6) South Carolina (W-W vs. North Carolina 27-10)
Can SC be the #2 team in the land after this week? Beating Georgia for a second straight cover might do the trick.
7) Texas A&M (W-L vs. Rice 52-31)
Johnny Football nearly led A&M all the way back for a cover after the Aggies fell behind in the first half, but his antics on the field were more of a story than Rice's cover.
8) Clemson (W-W vs. Georgia 38-35)
No team had a bigger ATS win than Clemson last week, as the Tigers beat a Top 5 team and made a good case for the ACC to be a contender in 2013.
9) Louisville (W-W vs. Ohio 49-7)
The Cards blew out the Bobcats for a cover in this one, but there are bigger challenges on the horizon.
10) Florida (W-L vs. Toledo 24-6)
This is the same old Florida offense. The Gators needed to score more than 24 to cover a spread of 23.5.
11) Florida State (W-W vs. Pittsburgh 41-13)
Welcome to the big time, Jameis Winston! After a near perfect season debut, expect to hear the Winston for Heisman talk banter all week.
12) LSU (W-W vs. TCU 37-27)
The Bayou Bengals looked as good on offense in this game as they have since their National Championship season.
13) Oklahoma State (W-W vs. Mississippi State 21-3)
It was supposed to be a shootout, but we're more impressed with the Pokes' 'D', which ensured this cover.
14) Notre Dame (W-L vs. Temple 28-6)
Irish eyes were never meant to smile on Notre Dame bettors on Saturday, as the Golden Domers were never good enough to cover 30.
15) Texas (W-W vs. New Mexico State 56-7)
It was a shaky start, but UT finished with over 700 yards to cover the Aggies.
16) Oklahoma (W-W vs. Louisiana Monroe 34-0)
The defense looks great for the Sooners, but Trevor Knight is going to need to be much, much better if they are going to cover future games.
17) Michigan (W-W vs. Central Michigan 59-9)
Central Michigan was literally never a match for Devin Gardner and the gang.
18) Nebraska (W-L vs. Wyoming 37-34)
Nearly a huge upset. The Black Shirts 'D' has a lot of work to do to keep the Huskers in the Big Ten race this year.
19) Boise State (L-L vs. Washington 38-6)
The Broncos suffered their worst loss of the Chris Petersen era on Saturday in Seattle.
20) TCU (L-L vs. LSU 37-27)
This was a chance for the Horned Frogs to stick with the big boys, and they just weren't able to stack up.
21) UCLA (W-W vs. Nevada 58-20)
Really, most of the Pac-12 looked good this past week, so it shouldn't be a surprise that Brett Hundley and the gang roared to victory.
22) Northwestern (W-W vs. Cal 44-30)
Both Venric Mark and Kain Colter were hurt in the cover against the Golden Bears.
23) Wisconsin (W-W vs. Massachusetts 45-0)
Yawn. It was UMass. Show us you can beat some real foes, Wisky.
24) USC (W-L vs. Hawaii 30-13)
The Trojans have big problems at the quarterback position.
25) Oregon State (L-L vs. Eastern Washington 49-46)
OSU became the third ranked team in the country to ever lose to an FCS foe.
With a VI Gold Membership, you can SAVE 20%
off Daily Pick packages, SAVE 10%
off a Live Odds Pro subscription, and receive access to up to 1,000
Member Plays each month!