Dufnering takes the green
April 1, 2013
By Dan Daly
New Sportsbook.ag customers: Make your 1st bet, get your 2nd bet free, 100%, winnings paid in cash.
Already have an account? Click here to view new Exclusive Rewards!
Editor’s Note: Be sure to follow Dan Daly's spontaneous and entertaining comments on VegasInsider.com and Twitter@_dandaly
Here’s what I know about the Shell Houston Open. D.A. Points won and it rained. What makes this story so great in my opinion is the fact that Dufner didn’t try and spin it or downplay it at all. In fact he embraced it to the point of making fun of himself and retweeting more pictures of himself and others doing it. Otherwise he would have caught all kinds of PR hell for being a bad guy; which you know would have been the case for most Pro Golfers, or athletes in general. Basically affirming what I already knew; Dufner is not only very well-liked by his peers but the public in general because he’s a pretty cool dude.
The biggest golf story of the weekend actually came three and a half hours north, here in Dallas. Unless you were living on the moon since Thursday you know what I’m talking about. Jason Dufner, last year’s Nelson winner, came to the tournament kick off lunch Thursday and went to visit the school they support next door (as most speakers do). While he was in one of the classrooms, someone got a picture of him that went viral.
It quickly became known as ‘Dufnering’, and #dufnering was the number one trending item on twitter most of Friday and Saturday. That lead to a lot people (and a lot of Tour Pros) taking pictures of themselves ‘Dufnering’ and posting them on Twitter.
That got me to thinking about just how the coolest guys are on the PGA Tour. So in honor of Dufnering (which is way cooler that Tebowing by the way) here is my list of the 1,000 coolest guys on the PGA tour:
1001. Rickie Fowler. Stop turning your hat around backwards, stop making cheesy YouTube videos and stop dressing like a color wheel threw up on you.
767. Jim Furyk. I would rather shotgun 5 cases of 5 hour energy than spend 5 minutes talking to Furyk.
564. Zach Johnson. Cedar…Rapids…Iowa.
323. D.A. Points. Nice Lego belt.
121. FIGJAM Mickelson. If he wasn’t FIGJAM he would actually be in my top 5. I want to love the guy; he hits shots no one else will even try, he gambles, he dresses cool, etc. I just can’t get over the FIGJAM aspect.
22. Dustin Johnson. You’ve seen his girlfriend right?
10. Graeme McDowell. The infamous pictures of him right after his US Open win at a bar getting hammered letting people drink out of the trophy pretty much cemented his spot in the Top 10.
9. Ian Poutler. Having spent 5 hours with him at the Byron Nelson Pro-Am, trust me, you would like him. And his Oakley rep is the hottest female I have ever seen in person.
8. Jason Dufner. I think the fact that he was the number one trending thing on Twitter for two days just for being himself pretty much sums it up. #dufnering
7. Darren Clarke. I’ll let the late British golf writer John Hopkins sum this one up for me, "Darren Clarke knows the outside of a fine cigar, the bottom of a glass of Guinness and the inside of a Ferrari."
6. Brandt Snedeker. If the PGA started a fraternity he would be the Chapter President. Not sure about his official sponsors, but I know he can always count on Vineyard Vines, Southern Proper, Sperry topsiders, New Balance, North Face, Mountain Hardware, Polo, Costa Del Mar (with croakies) and Ray Ban wayfarers for as long as he wants.
5. Boo Weekly. Where do I even begin? The camouflage on the golf course, doing the "Bull Dance" from the movie "Happy Gilmore" during the 2008 Ryder Cup, one of his 1,234,987 laugh out loud quotes. Take your pick.
4. Adam Scott. His list of ex-girlfriends alone puts him in the top 5. Throw in the jets, the houses, the bank account and just his general lifestyle and this guy lives the life every male on the planet would sell their soul to live if they could.
3. Fred Couples. I mean this guy wrote the book on being cool. If this was 1993 he and Greg Norman would be battling it out for the top spot. The fact that he is still as beloved and cool 20 years later pretty much says it all. Who doesn’t want to just sit at a bar and drink a beer and BS with Freddie?
2. Miguel Ángel Jiménez. AKA The Mechanic. He is Darren Clarke on steroids. He is the real life version of “The most interesting man in the world.” The cigars, the ponytail, the cars, the whiskey, the wine, the women…this man is simply as cool as it gets. Well, if not for…
1. John Patrick Daly. Please. In the words of Dan Hicks, “Expect anything different?” Do I really need to explain?
One person not on this list for obvious reasons is the late Payne Stewart. If Fred Couples wrote the book on being cool Payne Stewart wrote the foreword. There was nothing about Payne that wasn’t cool. His was as classy and cool as they come.
Until Next Week,
With a VI Gold Membership, you can SAVE 10%
off a Live Odds subscription, SAVE 20%
off Daily Pick packages, and receive access to up to 1,000
Member Plays each month!