California Sports Betting
Is sports betting legal in California?
To that end, two competing ballot initiatives would have legalized some form of sports betting in the state, but the tribes pushing for their own form of an initiative have pulled out and will instead focus all their efforts combating the initiative spearheaded by DraftKings, BetMGM, and FanDuel.
CALIFORNIA SPORTS BETTING TIMELINE
- May 2022: One referendum spearheaded by local California tribal entities has been pulled off the November 2022 ballot, meaning that now only two initiatives will be up for a vote.
- May 2022: The political committee spearheading the California Solutions for Homelessness and Mental Health Act referendum announces it has amassed 1.6 million signatures, well over the required amount set forth, and sends them to the California Secretary of State.
- April 2022: Three, count 'em, three referendums will appear on the November 2022 ballot, giving voters plenty of avenues to legalize sports betting in the Golden State.
- February 2022: Taking a look at other states' take from the Super Bowl, California legislators see the missed cashflow as a top reason for legalizing online bets.
- January 2022: Another ballot initiative, California Legalize Sports Betting, gains enough petition signatures to put a vote for legal betting on the November 2022 ballot.
- September 2021: A local California horse racing board, as part of the Santa Anita Park at Del Mar Fairgrounds, internally agree to offer retail sports betting in-person at the track should CA legalize online betting.
- August 2021: The California legislature closes out deals for six tribal groups to have gaming compacts, indicating this legislature's openness to legalizing wagering in some form.
- May 2021: The "Legalize Sports Betting on American Indian Lands Initiative" will enable voters to indicate their preference for legal sports betting in November 2022.
Updated on : 05/25/2022
- California Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS)
- Most Likely CA Online Sports Betting Sites
- Sports Betting News In California
- California Betting Laws
- California Online Sports Betting: Events and Betting Markets
- Common Payment Options
- CA Online Sports Betting FAQ
MOST LIKELY CA ONLINE SPORTS BETTING SITES
FanDuel has both an online sportsbook as well as a daily fantasy app and site. Since fantasy bets are legal in California online sports betting, there is a strong chance that Fanduel will expand once California laws are finally drawn.
Since there is a Harrah’s retail casino in California and Harrah’s is owned by Caesars, it is highly likely that Caesars would open a CA online sportsbook once California sports betting is legalized. If lawmakers opt to capture some much-needed sports betting revenue, Caesars would be a clear choice.
DraftKings are another daily fantasy based site. The success and popularity of this legal form of California online sports betting is a great way for DraftKings to become a California online sports betting partner after legalization.
MGM’s largest single retail casino is located in Las Vegas, not far outside the California border. Since MGM already has affiliations with the California Gaming Commission, they could prove a valuable resource and a pretty safe bet for a future BetMGM site. Look for BetMGM to take over the California sports betting market!
Unibet, a Kindred Group company, has a strong presence across multiple US and Canadian jurisdictions, in addition to offering their betting services internationally. This well-experienced platform offers a ton of value to its users, and would be a prime candidate for entering the California sports betting market should it go live.
CALIFORNIA BETTING LAWS
Sports betting is illegal in California. You cannot bet and there are no regulated sites. There are California card rooms that accept players 18 and older, but nothing regarding legal online sports betting has come across a California governor's desk since the overturning of PASPA in 2018.
Still, professional sports teams and bettors alike are eager to legalize and legitimize betting on regulated websites and apps in CA through some tribal gaming compacts or, better yet, a signed law that gives the tribes a seat at the table. Sen. Bill Dodd tried to push a sports wagering bill as recently as 2020, and it's likely that he'll be on board with legislation that brings those lost sports betting revenues back to the state- look to November 2022's ballot initiatives.
Updated on : 05/25/2022
SPORTS BETTING NEWS IN CALIFORNIA
|California Sports Betting Initiatives Added to Nov. 2022 Ballot|
May 3rd, 2022
Californians will be able to vote on sports betting this November! Two petitions for ballot initiatives got enough signatures by Tuesday's deadline.
|California’s Voters to Decide Fate of Legal Sports Betting|
April 17, 2022
This November, California voters will have three different referendums to consider for legalizing sports betting in the state.
|This Week In Sports Betting News - October 8th, 2021|
Oct. 8, 2021
This week in sports betting news, California may attempt to make betting legal in 2022, Ohio looks to esports for revenue, Connecticut's online launch was delayed, and more.
|California Voters Weigh Multiple Options for Legal Sports Betting|
Oct. 3, 2021
Plans are in the works to add a third proposal for legal sports betting to California’s voter referendums for the November 2022 general election.
|This Week in Sports Betting News - September 24th, 2021|
Sep. 24, 2021
This week in sports betting news, Florida sees more legal challenges to their betting package, Caesars partners with LSU, Connecticut is eyeing an October launch for betting, and California venues are gearing up for the eventual legalization of sports wagering.
CALIFORNIA DAILY FANTASY SPORTS (DFS)
Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) is a great way to play on major league sports teams and players. Major DFS sites are available in California. Try your sports knowledge skills by playing DFS, read our Monkey Knife Fight review. Play fantasy games by selecting prop contests on a variety sports events like NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL PGA, soccer, and more.
Daily Fantasy Sports
* Alaska, Alabama, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Washington DC, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming
CALIFORNIA ONLINE SPORTS BETTING: EVENTS AND BETTING MARKETS
Since the sports industry is so large, the potential for California sports betting is endless. From types of wagers to the sheer number of California teams to bet on, there will be plenty of options when California online sports betting is legalized.
COMMON TYPES OF BETS
The wide variety of sports leaves the market open for a ton of innovation in betting styles.
These are the most common types of bets in the industry. When the betting line is set, bettors decide whether to bet on the favorite or the underdog. If you choose the favorite, you increase your betting odds. However, the favorite has to win the game with a higher number of points than the point spread for you to cash in. If you choose the underdog, they have to win or at least lose by less than the point spread. Therefore, while your betting odds increase when betting for the favorite, so does the burden of requirements.
Total Line Bets
This is also a popular sports bet. It’s also pretty straightforward. A number is set for the predicted combined final score of both teams. Then, you would guess whether you believe the actual total will be over or under that amount. It can often be a bet made for half a game in sports like football or basketball.
Money Line Bets
Mostly used in baseball and hockey, these types of bets can be a risk as they do not involve a point spread. Meaning the amount you have to bet varies whether you choose to bet on the favorite or the underdog. For instance, if the Yankees are favored to win against the Dodgers, you may see the betting odds described like this: Dodgers (+120), Yankees (-135). This means to bet on the Dodgers, you would only need to put down $100 and you could potentially win $120. Whereas, you would need to bet $135 on the Yankees to win $100.
These are probably the highest risk bets out there. They involve grouping together multiple bets together and can often be bets that last an entire season. There is very little room for error in these types of bets because you need to win all of your separate bets to see any money.
This bet is a bit of a twist on a parlay. It is not as high risk and also not as high reward. Bets are still grouped together like a parlay, but you are able to tweak the point spread in this style of betting. Making it a bit less lucrative and a bit more controlled.
These bets are made on non-team sports. In sports such as golf and NASCAR, these bets simply represent which of two competitors will win. Often, a money line will be attached as a way to handicap a race. Though this is a popular betting style, it’s also a hard gamble to make considering the size of the field.
MOST POPULAR SPORTS TO BET ON
- Football (both NFL and college)
- Basketball (NBA)
- Hockey (NHL)
- Baseball (MLB)
- Formula 1
POPULAR CALIFORNIA EVENTS
- Auto Club 400 - this is the only NASCAR event held in Southern California. It’s held at the Auto Club Speedway in Fontana and usually takes place in March.
- Vans U.S. Open of Surfing - this is known as the biggest surfing event in the world. It’s held in Huntington Beach over nine days in July/August.
- AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-AM- this golfing event started in 1937 with an idea from Bing Crosby. It’s a fun event held in February involving golf professionals and A-list celebrities so it draws a huge crowd of in person as well as at home spectators.
- BNP Paribas Open - held in March, this is the largest international tennis tournament other than the four Grand Slams.
- Sea Otter Classic - known as a “celebration of cycling”, this Monterrey based biking event features a wide range of cycling opportunities.
BEST TEAMS TO BET ON
Below is a list of the Major League teams in California. California has nearly twice the amount of major league teams than any other state. All of them present great betting opportunities. This would become a huge market for California sports betting.
- LA Galaxy
- Los Angeles FC
- San Jose Earthquakes
COMMON PAYMENT OPTIONS
For most states, there are a few common payment methods in online sports betting. Here are some of the more popular options.
- Debit/Credit cards
- Prepaid Cards
- Cash at a retail partner’s sportsbook
- ACH/Wire Transfer
CA ONLINE SPORTS BETTING FAQ
CAN YOU BET ON SPORTS IN CALIFORNIA?
At the moment, sports betting is not legal in California. However, it's expected that a vote for legal bets will be on the November 2022 ballot.
IS CAESARS SPORTSBOOK LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA?
Not yet; until California enacts a comprehensive law defining online sports betting as legal, users will not be able to use Caesars Sportsbook when they're located in California.
WHAT SPORTSBOOKS ARE LEGAL IN CALIFORNIA?
At the moment, users can bet on horse racing through a number of online providers like TVG and DRF. Sports betting remains illegal until the results of the November 2022 ballot initiative are resolved. If voters opt for legal betting on that initiative, then lawmakers can begin to draft a bill to be passed through the legislature.
FINAL THOUGHTS ON BETTING IN CALIFORNIA
Though it’s still unregulated now, California sports betting has some great groundwork for legalization. Since other states have been paving the way, there are also some great established online sports betting sites to potentially open in CA. Though California sports betting is currently unregulated, bettor’s look forward to potential future California online sportsbooks. In addition to serving a purpose for vested CA bettors, legalizing CA online sports betting also stands to bring in tons of tax revenue for the state. A win win solution for the state!