Last Updated Aug 30, 2021, 10:04 AM

Weekend Watch

Editor's Note: Don't miss out on 30 days of Winning Baseball Picks from Joe Williams for the 2017-18 MLB regular season. Click to win!

Streaky Teams (entering play Friday)
Wins and Losses Streak Over/Under Streak
Atlanta 7-2 past nine games overall Colorado Under 8-2-1 past 11 games overall
Chicago White Sox 3-13 past 16 games overall Houston Under 7-0-1 past eight games overall
L.A. Dodgers 2-9 past 11 games overall L.A. Angels Under 4-1-1 past six games overall
Philadelphia 7-1 past eight games overall Oakland Over 5-2 past seven games overall
Pittsburgh 8-1 past nine games overall San Francisco Over 4-1-2 past seven games overall

Powering Up
There have been plenty of teams muscling the ball out of the park this season, with the Cleveland Indians leading the way with 64 bombs. It probably comes as little surprise, but the teams banging out the most home runs also are among the teams with the best winning percentages. The top seven teams in home runs are at .500 or better, while seven of the eight teams in the bottom of the league in power are also much lower than .500. Only the New York Mets, with a winning percentage of .525, buck the low homer equal more losses trend.

Run Differential - Best/Worst
Team HR (winning pct) Team HR (winning pct)
Cleveland 64 (.500) Miami 33 (.372)
Boston 61 (.682) DET, KC, SD T38 (.465, .302, .378)
LAA, TOR T59 (.568, .500) N.Y. Mets 39 (.525)
NYY, OAK T58 (.700, .500) LAD, TB T40 (.395, .476)
Colorado 56 (.545) Cincinnati 43 (.341)




Looking Ahead

Saturday, May 19
The Tigers have had a lot of difficulty this season, but lately they have been able to piece it together against teams using a left-handed starting pitcher. Detroit will continue its series in Seattle against LHP James Paxton, who already has a no-hitter under his belt this season. The Tigers are an impressive 4-1 in their past five against southpaws while winning six of their past seven outings played on a Saturday. However, they entered Friday's game with just seven wins across the past 27 against teams with a winning overall mark.

The Mariners are equally impressive on Saturday, going 6-1 in their past seven played on the day. Surprisingly, they're just 1-4 in the past five starts by Paxton at Safeco Field. However, they're also 5-2 across his seven overall, and 8-3 over his past 11 outings against AL Central foes. The Mariners have also handled their business against righties, going 9-4 in the past 13 vs. RHP.

The Dodgers and Nationals will kick off their series in D.C. after a postponement Friday, playing a doubleheader. L.A. is 1-4 across their past five road games, so perhaps Game 1 doesn't go how they want. However, they're 5-2 across their past seven in the second end of a twin bill. L.A. is also 46-22 in their past 68 against the NL East. Washington has been on fire, winning seven of their past eight at home and 13 of their past 16 overall.

Weather Report
The weather will either cause several delays and/or postponements on Saturday, as there aren't many outdoor venues that will not have some type of bothering from Mother Nature.

In Cincinnati, the Cubs and Reds will not be in the crosshairs as far as precipitation, but there will be a jetstream blowing out to left field at 11-14 mph. Right-handed hitters will be in good shape. The wind will also play a huge part in the Colorado-San Francisco game with gusts from 20-23 mph blowing to straightaway center field. Winds will also play a part in the L.A. Dodgers-Washington game, gusting to the left-center field power alley from 11-14 mph. The winds will be humming in from 11-14 mph from left-center field to home plate in the Milwaukee-Minnesota contest, knocking any fly balls down.

As far as precipitation, there is plenty in the forecast. In the Steel City, the Padres and Pirates are likely to get washed out, as there is a 70 percent of better chance of thunderstorms for a good chunk of the afternoon and evening. In Beantown, the Orioles and Red Sox are facing a 60 percent chance of rain as a shield of precipitation will be blanketing New England. In New York, the Diamondbacks and Mets will be staring at a 70 percent chance of rain to start, dying down to a 30 percent chance of showers by 9pm ET. The game might start late, but you're likely to see the tarpaulin early on if you tune in. In Atlanta, the Marlins and Braves face 70 percent chance of precip, going down to 30 percent by the mid to late innings.

As far as the Yankees and Royals are concerned, they will be facing 40 percent chance of precipitation for most of the evening. If they are able to squeeze the game in between the raindrops they are staring at an 11-14 mph jetstream blowing out to left field.

Sunday, May 20
The Indians and Astros will do battle on Sunday Night Baseball to close out the baseball week. Might this also be a playoff preview? If so, the Indians will be very confident. Entering Friday night, the Indians were 24-9 in their past 33 against the Astros, while winning four of their past five in H-Town. 

The current collection of Astros have been swinging it well against RHP Carlos Carrasco, however. Houston batters on the current roster are 22-for-67 (.328) with five doubles, two homers and an .862 OPS. That includes OF Josh Reddick, who an impressive 6-for-9 with a homer and four RBI in their brief encounters. 

Braves SP Julio Teheran will face the Marlins on Sunday, and he hasn't had very good success against the defensive rivals. Teheran is just 2-4 with a 4.19 ERA over nine starts against Miami since the start of the 2015 season. 

Weather Report
The weather won't let up on Sunday, so expect more interruptions. In Boston, the O's and BoSox face 40-70 percent chances of precipitation from 1-6pm ET. When they are able to finally get the game going there will be a 14-17 mph wind blowing out to straightaway center field which could favor the 'over'.

In the Queen City, the Cubs and Reds face 30-50 percent chances of rain from 1pm ET into the early evening. If the game does get underway it might not be until later in the night. For the Diamondbacks and Mets, they'll also face a soggy day. The chances of rain are 40 percent of better from early on until the early evening. When they do play winds will be gusting from 13-16 mph blowing to right field. The winds will be gusting from 10-13 mph at Nationals Park for the finale between the Dodgers and Nationals, but no precip at least.

In Atlanta and Chicago, there is a 40 percent or greater chance of rain for the entire game. The Marlins-Braves and Rangers-White Sox could see the grounds crew being very busy. In Colorado-San Francisco, rain won't be a problem, but the winds will be blowing 20-23 mph out to straightaway center field for another potential 'over'.

We may be compensated by the company links provided on this page. Read more

MLB News