Last Updated Sep 13, 2022, 8:44 PM
Week 1 NFL Tech Trends
US Sports Betting Industry Expert
American football betting expert and handicapper Bruce Marshall breaks down the top trends for the entire Week 1 NFL slate. Check them out below and be sure sure to visit our NFL picks page for expert selections on games this week!
Thursday, Sept. 8
Buffalo Bills vs. Los Angeles Rams (NBC, 8:20 p.m.)
- Bills 9-3 vs. spread last 12 reg season road games.
- Buff “over” 10-3 last 13 road games (including playoffs).
- Rams 4-1 SU and vs. spread last five as dog., but only 5-6 vs. points at SoFi last season.
Tech Play: Bills, Over
Sunday, September 11
Jacksonville Jaguars vs. Washington Commanders (FOX, 1:00 p.m. ET)
- Jags lost and failed to cover last four on road a year ago en route to 2-6 spread mark away from home.
- J’ville also enters 2022 on 13-5 “under” run.
- Wash actually 6-2-1 vs. spread down stretch last season and was “under” last five at Fed Ex.
- Doug Pederson Jags debut.
Tech Play: Commanders, Under
Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Cincinnati Bengals (CBS, 1:00 p.m. ET)
- Bengals have won and covered last three meetings.
- Tomlin 4-4 as road dog in reg season a year ago, but was 11-3 previous 14 in role.
- Cincy closed 2021 by covering eight in a row, was also “under” last five in 2021.
- Bengals, Under
Tech Play: Bengals, Under
New England Patriots vs. Miami Dolphins (CBS, 1:00 p.m. ET)
- Belichick has had problems in past at Miami even with some of his Super Bowl teams.
- He’s 2-7 SU and vs. spread last nine on road vs. Dolphins and has lost and failed to cover last three in series.
- Dolphins closed last season 8-1 S, 7-2 vs. line.
- McDaniel Miami debut.
Tech Play: Dolphins
Philadelphia Eagles vs. Detroit Lions (FOX, 1:00 p.m. ET)
- Birds covered 5 of last 7 on road in reg season a year ago, including 44-6 romp at Ford Field.
- Despite poor overall mark a year ago, Lions did manage covers in 6 of 8 at home (though not vs. Philly), and were a solid 11-6 vs. line overall, covering eight games in which they didn’t win outright!
Tech Play: Eagles
Cleveland Browns vs. Carolina Panthers (CBS, 1:00 p.m. ET)
- Mayfield game! Browns lost and failed to cover six of last eight a season ago.
- Panthers however lost and failed to cover their last seven in 2021, losing and failing to cover last six in Charlotte.
Tech Play: Browns
San Francisco 49ers vs. Chicago Bears (FOX, 1:00 p.m. ET)
- Niners won and covered at Soldier Field last Halloween, part of their 8-4 spread mark away from Santa Clara.
- SF now 20-8 vs. spread as visitor since 2019.
- Niners also “under” 7-1 last eight in 2021. Bears were 1-5 vs. line last six at home a year ago.
- Matt Eberflus Bears debut.
Tech Play: Niners
Indianapolis Colts vs. Houston Texans (CBS, 1:00 p.m. ET)
- Last year, Colts won and covered both meetings by near-identical 31-3 & 31-0 scorelines.
- Indy has covered six of last seven in series, and Reich had covered six straight on the road last season before last-game loss at Jags.
- Texans actually decent 5-4 for Culley at home in 2021 despite overall poor SU mark of 4-13.
- Last five “under” in series.
Tech Play: Colts, Under
Baltimore Ravens vs. New York Jets (CBS, 1:00 p.m. ET)
- Ravens have won and covered 5 of last 6 openers (L came last year at Raiders), though they did drop 4 of 5 as road chalk during injury-plagued 2021.
- Jets have failed to cover in four of last five openers, also just 12-21 vs. spread last two seasons.
Tech Play: Ravens
New Orleans Saints vs. Atlanta Falcons (FOX, 1:00 p.m. ET)
- Saints have won and covered last four at Falcons.
- NO covered 6 of last 8 on road a year ago.
- Before both meetings went “over” a year ago, five straight were “under” in this series.
- Falcons failed to cover all seven at Mercedes Benz last season (one “home” game in London vs. Jets).
- Dennis Allen Saints debut.
Tech Play: Saints
New York Giants vs. Tennessee Titans (FOX, 4:25 p.m. ET)
- Daboll Giants debut. G-Men closed 2021 with a whimper, lose and failed to cover last six and seven of last eight.
- Once sparkling road dog marks dissipated down stretch, dropping last four in role after 13-3 previous 16 getting points away.
- NY also on 18-5 “under” run since mid 2020. Titans were “under” 5 of last 6 in 2021, and covered 6 of last 8 in Nashville during reg season a year ago.
Tech Play: Under
Green Bay Packers vs. Minnesota Vikings (FOX, 4:25 p.m. ET)
- O’Connell Vikings debut.
- Teams have split the past two seasons.
- Pack dropped four of last five vs. spread in 2021 after covering 11 of first 13.
- No covers last three away in 2021 for Pack.
- Four straight “over” in this series.
- Vikes “over” 7 of last 8 in 2021.
Tech Play: Over
Kansas City Chiefs vs. Arizona Cardinals (CBS, 4:25 p.m. ET)
- Chiefs have won last seven openers, covering five of those.
- KC, however, only 5-8 vs. spread last 13 away, and just 12-19 against line last 31 on board.
- Chiefs “over” 7 of last 8 in 2021.
- Cards have covered last three openers, and 5-1 vs. spread in first two games of each of last three seasons.
- Kingsbury also 5-1 last six as dog.
- But Az only 2-7 vs. line last nine as host.
Tech Play: Cardinals, Over
Las Vegas Raiders vs. Los Angeles Chargers (CBS, 4:25 p.m. ET)
- McDaniels debut for Raiders, remember he won and covered his first six when at Denver in 2009 in last head coaching gig.
- Teams have split the past two seasons, three of those four meetings “over” as well.
- Raiders were just 3-5 vs. spread last eight away a season ago, Chargers “over” last six in 2021
Tech Play: Over
Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs. Dallas Cowboys (NBC, 8:20 p.m. ET)
- Same opener as last year only that one was in Tampa and Bucs prevailed 31-29 on a Thursday night, but no cover.
- Bucs only 4-5 vs. spread away last season.
- Cowboys opened with seven straight covers a season ago but were just 2-4 vs. spread last six in Arlington.
- Bowles Bucs debut.
Tech Play: Cowboys
Monday, September 12
Denver Broncos vs. Seattle Seahawks (ESPN, 8:15 p.m. ET)
- Hackett Broncos debut.
- Broncos “under” 12-5 with Fangio last season.
- Wilson back in Seattle where Seahawks only 4-4 vs. line a year ago.
- Pete Carroll enters season on 17-8 “under” run.
Tech Play: Under