Last Updated Aug 30, 2021, 13:53 PM
College Football Tech Trends - Week 2
Week 2 of the College Football season kicks off on Thursday Sept. 10 and we've identified betting trends and angles for key matchups between FBS and FCS matchups. We also have "Tech Edge" leans on the side or total for each game too.
Straight Up (SU), Against the Spread (ATS), Over-Under (O/U)
Thursday, Sept. 10
UAB at MIAMI-Fl. (ACC, 8:00 p.m. ET)
- UAB continued its overachieving bent last season, posting another positive spread mark for HC Clark, who is now 26-14-1 vs. the line since the Blazers resurrected in 2017.
- Note the Canes have been a consistent money-burner the past three years, not recording a winning spread mark since 2016, and dropped 7 of 10 as chalk a year ago.
Tech Edge: UAB, based on team trends
Saturday, Sept. 12
SYRACUSE at NORTH CAROLINA (ACC, 12:00 p.m. ET)
- Cuse only covered 2 of 8 in ACC last season as it also dropped 8 of last 11 overall vs. spread.
- After 9-3 'dog mark in 2017-18, Orange just 2-6 as short in 2019.
- UNC on positive 8-5-1 spread run since late 2018.
Tech Edge: Slight to North Carolina, based on team trends.
CHARLOTTE at APPALACHIAN STATE (ESPN2, 12:00 p.m. ET)
- App has been consistent spread winner no matter the coaching regime, as Mounties 18-8-1 vs. spread since 2018.
- Though App only 5-6 last 11 laying double digits, and Charlotte covered as 22 ½ -point dog last year.
- Mounties have covered 4 of last 5 openers.
Tech Edge: Slight to App State, based on team trends.
GEORGIA TECH at FLORIDA STATE (ABC, 3:30 p.m. ET)
- Norvell debut at FSU.
- Bumpy ride for GT in 2019 during Collins debut, Jackets only 3-8-1 vs. line, and now just 3-11-1 vs. number dating to late 2018.
- Collins, however, a bit better on road at 2-2-1 vs. spread last season.
- FSU a consistent money burner in recent years, 13-23-2 vs. line since 2017, and just 1-7 last 8 vs. points against non-ACC foes.
- Note Norvell teams at Memphis just 2-5 their last seven as home chalk.
Tech Edge: Slight to Georgia Tech, based on extended FSU negatives.
COASTAL CAROLINA at KANSAS (FS1, 10:00 p.m. ET)
- Coastal scored a 12-7 stunner at Lawrence last September, one of five covers in six tries as a visitor in 2019 season for the Chants.
- Rare chalk role for Jayhawks, 0-2 laying points in the Les Miles debut season a year ago, and just 4-11 laying points since 2012 under a number of different coaches.
Tech Edge: Coastal, based on team trends.
WESTERN KENTUCKY at LOUISVILLE (ACC, 8:00 p.m. ET)
- Louisville handily covered a 10 ½- point spread at Nashville vs. WKU a year ago, part of a 4-1 non-ACC spread mark for Cards in debut season of HC Satterfield, whose teams are 22-8-1 vs. the spread since late 2017 when still at App State.
- Satterfield teams also 14-4-1 as chalk since late in 2017 dating to App State days (Cards 4-1 laying points in 2019).
- The Tops rallied after the ‘Ville loss last season, sporting a 7-2-1 spread mark the rest of the way for new HC Helton, and WKU was 6-2 as a dog in 2019 despite the loss to the ‘Ville.
Tech Edge: Slight to Louisville, based on team trends.
CLEMSON at WAKE FOREST (ABC, 7:30 p.m. ET)
- Dabo has won big vs. Wake the past two seasons by a combined 115-6 score after failing to cover previous four vs. Deacs.
- Clemson is 16-4-1 as chalk away from Death Valley since 2017 and is 19-5-1 vs. spread overall since midway in 2018 season.
- Wake 12-4 as double-digit dog for Clawson since 2016, though as noted was routed by Tigers past two seasons.
Tech Edge: Clemson, based on recent trends.
DUKE at NOTRE DAME (NBC, 2:30 p.m. ET)
- Cutcliffe was only 2-4-1 as dog with Duke in 2019, including 38-7 home loss to ND, but was 25-12-1 in role the preceding six seasons (2013 thru 2018).
- Blue Devils had also covered seven straight openers for Cutcliffe prior to 2019 loss vs. Bama.
- Irish covered 5 of 7 as home chalk last season after recording just a 7-10 spread mark in role previous three terms.
- Duke also “over” 10-4 last 14 dating to late 2018.
Tech Edge: Duke and “over,” based on extended team and “totals” trends.
UL MONROE at ARMY (CBSSN, 1:30 p.m. ET)
- Into Sept. 5 opener vs. MTSU, Army only 3-7 last 10 vs. line at West Point, and just 9-15 as Michie Stadium chalk since 2015.
- ULM just 4-10 last 14 on board since late 2018. Warhawks also 4-10 “under” since late 2018.
Tech Edge: Slight to ULM and “under,” based on team and “totals” trends.
LOUISIANA at IOWA STATE (ESPN, 12:00 p.m. ET)
- Ragin’ Cajuns on 7-2-1 surge as an underdog since early 2018, and enter 2020 with 16-7-2 vs. spread mark last 25 on board.
- Note ISU dropped its last four as Ames chalk last season and has failed to cover in three of last four openers.
- Cyclones just 3-8 as home chalk since 2018.
Tech Edge: Louisiana, based on team trends.
UTEP at TEXAS (Longhorn, 8:00 p.m. ET)
- While Tom Herman teams have been formidable as an underdog, they have underachieved as home chalk, just 5-10 in role with Texas since 2017, and only 8-18-1 in role since 2015 with Houston.
- But Herman Longhorns teams are 8-3 vs. line last 11 against non-Big 12 foes.
- UTEP enters 2020 on 10-26 spread skid since 2017, and just 3-12 vs. points overall since late in 2018, and 2-10 last 12 vs. spread outside of C-USA.
Tech Edge: Slight to Texas, based on UTEP negatives.
LOUISIANA TECH at BAYLOR (ESPN, 12:00 p.m. ET)
- Skip Holtz teams at Tech are 19-8-1 as an underdog since he arrived at Ruston in 2014.
- Bulldogs also 13-7-1 vs. line their last 21 away from Joe Aillet Stadium.
- Baylor surprisingly just 2-8 as Waco chalk since 2017 and has only covered 1 of last 6 hosting non-Big 12 foes.
Tech Edge: La Tech, based on team trends.
UTSA at TEXAS STATE (ESPN2, 3:30 p.m. ET)
- Traylor debut at UTSA. TSU just 3-8-1 vs. spread in 2019 for Spavital debut and no covers in four tries as host vs. FBS opposition.
- Bobcats also on 11-4 “under” stretch dating to late 2018.
- UTSA did cover its last four on the road a year ago and 9-5 vs. spread last 14 on board.
Tech Edge: Slight to UTSA and “under” based on team and “totals” trends.
ARKANSAS STATE at KANSAS STATE (FS1, 3:30 p.m. ET)
- KSU on 11-4 spread uptick since late 2018 (9-4 vs. line in 2019 Klieman debut), and was “under” 9-3-1 last season.
- Red Wolves only 3-10 vs. line last 13 outside of Sun Belt.
Tech Edge: Slight to K-State, based on team trends.
TULANE at SOUTH ALABAMA (ESPN2, 7:30 p.m. ET)
- USA now on 5-1 spread ascent (all as dog) since late 2019 after opening upset win at USM, and 5-2 vs. number last 7 at Mobile.
- Tulane, however, on 10-4 spread surge since late 2018, and Wave has covered all four openers since Fritz arrived in 2016.
Tech Edge: Slight to Tulane, based on team trends.