Last Updated Aug 30, 2021, 09:52 AM
Tech Trends - Week 5
Don't miss out on expert College Football selections from Bruce Marshall this season on VegasInsider.com. Click to win!
Week 5 of the College Football season kicks off on Thursday, Oct. 1 and we've identified betting trends and angles for key matchups between FBS and FCS matchups.
We also have "Tech Edge" leans on the side or total for each game too.
Straight Up (SU), Against the Spread (ATS), Over-Under (O/U)
Friday, Oct. 2
LA TECH at BYU (ESPN2, 9:00 p.m.)
- Skip Holtz wins again as dog in opener, now 20-8-1 in role with La Tech since arriving in 2014.
- Skip 17-6-1 as dog away from Ruston that span.
- Cougars just 2-4 as Provo chalk in 2019.
Tech Edge: La Tech, based on team trends.
Saturday, Oct. 3
SOUTH FLORIDA at CINCINNATI (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- USF covers last five in series, though no SU wins vs. Cincy since 2017.
- Bulls only 1-4 last five as dog away Raymond James Stadium (0-1 for Jeff Scott).
- Bearcats 8-5 as Nippert chalk since 2018.
Tech Edge: Slight to USF, based on series trends.
SOUTH CAROLINA at FLORIDA (ESPN, 12:00 p.m.)
- SC 1-5-1 vs. line since mid 2019, also failed to cover last 3 as dog in 2019.
- Muschamp covered vs. Gators in 2017-18 but lost 38-27 LY.
- Dan Mullen has covered seven in a row at the Swamp.
Tech Edge: Florida, based on team trends.
EAST CAROLINA at GEORGIA STATE (ESPNU, 12:00 p.m.)
- GSU has now covered 5 of last 6 at home after ULL game, after 3-8-1 spread mark previous 12 as host.
- Panthers 3-2 as chalk in 2019.
- ECU was 7-20-1 as dog 2016-18 but improved slightly to 5-4 in role for Mike Houston LY.
Tech Edge: Slight to GSU, based on team trends.
NORTH CAROLINA at BOSTON COLLEGE (ABC, 3:30 p.m.)
- Hafley now 1-0 as dog for BC, following recent Addazio success in role (14-3-1 in role during regular season past three years).
- Mack Brown however has won and covered last four since late 2019, and Heels actually 18-10-1 vs. line going back to mid 2018 during late Fedora days.
- Teams have not met since 2013.
Tech Edge: BC, based on team trends.
VIRGINIA TECH at DUKE (ACC, 4:00 p.m.)
- Cutcliffe 0-3 SU this season but 1-0 as dog in 2020, and remember was 25-12-1 in dog role from 2013-18 before slipping a bit a year ago (2-4-1).
- Note underdog team has covered (sometimes emphatically) 6 of last 7 meetings.
Tech Edge: Duke, based on team and series trends.
MISSOURI at TENNESSEE (SEC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Note Mizzou won games vs. UT in 2017 & ‘18 by identical 50-17 scores!
- Though Tigers 0-7 vs. line down stretch in 2019 before backdoor cover vs. Bama in opener.
- From mid 2019, Vols 6-2 last 8 vs. line and 6-0 SU last six. Note Pruitt has only covered 2 of last 8 as chalk.
Tech Edge: Tennessee, based on recent trends.
BAYLOR at WEST VIRGINIA (ABC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Baylor has covered last seven Big 12 games away from Waco (Rhule numbers).
- WVU has covered last two in series, though Mounties were only 1-4-1 vs. spread s host in 2019.
Tech Edge: Baylor, based on team trends.
VIRGINIA at CLEMSON (ACC, 8:00 p.m.)
- Rematch of 2019 ACC title game won and covered by Clemson 62-17.
- Bronco Mendenhall still 8-3 as dog the past two seasons.
- But Dabo has now covered last seven as ACC host.
Tech Edge: Slight to Clemson, based on Dabo trends.
NC STATE at PITTSBURGH (ACC, 12:00 p.m.)
- After loss at Virginia Tech, Wolfpack has now sagged to 2-11 vs. line its last 13 games on the board since early 2019.
- Includes six straight spread Ls away from Raleigh.
Tech Edge: Pitt, based on recent NCS woes.
OKLAHOMA at IOWA STATE (ABC, 7:30 p.m.)
- Note Lincoln Riley has not covered in three tries vs. ISU since taking over Sooners in 2017.
- Matt Campbell has covered last 4 vs. OU including rousing 38-31 upset in 2017.
- Cyclones were on 0-5 spread skid into TCU game, though Campbell 18-9-1 as dog since arriving at ISU.
Tech Edge: ISU, based on series and team trends.
MEMPHIS at SMU (ESPN2, 3:30 p.m.)
- Memphis has won last 6 SU in series and had covered five in a row (margin 35 ppg!) before narrow non-cover in 2019.
- SMU covered all three chances as dog for Sonny Dykes LY.
Tech Edge: Slight to Memphis, based on series trends.
TULSA at UCF (ESPN2, 7:30 p.m.)
- Tulsa now 7-3 last ten as dog after cover at Ok State.
- Included was 34-31 upset win over UCF in 2019.
- Golden Hurricane also 7-1 last eight vs. line away.
- Golden Knights 9-5 vs. spread at Orlando since 2018 (3-3 LY), haven’t had many revenge chances past couple of years.
Tech Edge: Tulsa, based on recent trends.
ARKANSAS STATE at COASTAL CAROLINA (ESPN2, 12:00 p.m.)
- Red Wolves only 4-5 vs. number last nine as Sun Belt road chalk.
- Chants 6-4 as dog for Chadwell since 2019, including cover in near-upset of Ark State last year.
Tech Edge: Slight to Coastal, based on team trends.
NAVY at AIR FORCE (CBSSN, 6:00 p.m.)
- Navy recovered at Tulane, Niumatalolo dog mark now 22-12-1 since 2013.
- Though Mids have failed to win or cover last three trips to Force as host team is 7-0 SU, 6-1 vs. line since 2013 in this Commander-in-Chief’s rivalry.
Tech Edge: Air Force, based on series trends.
TROY at SOUTH ALABAMA (ESPNU, 8:00 p.m.)
- Troy has won and covered last two meetings though just 5-9 vs. spread for Chip Lindsey since 2019.
- USA spread mark now 8-3 last 11 after UAB loss.
Tech Edge: Slight to USA, based on recent trends.
TEXAS TECH at KANSAS STATE (FS1, 3:30 p.m.)
- Tech has lost last 4 SU in series and failed to cover last three vs. K-State.
- Red Raiders 2-7 vs. number last nine away from Lubbock.
- Cats failed in 2020 home opener vs. Ark State but were 5-2 vs. spread in Manhattan for Klieman in 2019.
Tech Edge: K-State, based on series and team trends.
OKLAHOMA STATE at KANSAS (ESPN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Note Gundy has covered 7 of last 8 away from Stillwater.
- OSU also 3-0-2 vs. spread last five in this series.
- Les Miles only 2-7 vs. spread as host for KU.
Tech Edge: Ok State, based on series and team trends.
UTSA at UAB (Stadium, 12:30 p.m.)
- Bill Clark’s UAB has won and covered all three vs. UTSA since returning to gridiron in 2017.
- Blazers 9-2-1 vs. line since 2017 as C-USA host, 18-7-1 in C-USA play that span.
- Though note UTSA has covered five in a row away (1-0 for Traylor, also 3-0 SU)!
Tech Edge: UAB, based on team and series trends.
TCU at TEXAS (FOX, 12:00 p.m.)
- Revenge for Horns after 37-27 Fort Worth loss LY.
- Frogs have won and covered five of last six in series.
- Tom Herman 3-3 as Austin chalk since LY but just 6-10 in that role for Horns.
- Patterson, however, just 3-7 last 10 vs. points as visitor.
Tech Edge: Slight to TCU, based on extended trends.
TEXAS A&M at ALABAMA (CBS, 3:30 p.m.)
- Jimbo 5-3 as dog with Ags, has split vs. line against Saban past two years.
- A&M 6-3 vs. spread as visitor for Jimbo.
- Tide just 1-3 as SEC home chalk last season.
Tech Edge: Slight to A&M, based on team trends.
OLE MISS at KENTUCKY (SEC, 4:00 p.m.)
- Rebs were 5-1-1 as dog in 2019 for Matt Luke, though Kiffin just 5-4-1 as dog for FAU the past three years and dropped Reb opener vs. Gators.
- After 0-9 home chalk mark 2017-18, Cats were 6-2 vs. spread as host in 2019 (4-2 as Lexington chalk).
Tech Edge: Ole Miss, based on team trends.
WESTERN KENTUCKY at MTSU (ESPN3, 5:00 p.m.)
- Dog team has covered last four in series.
- WKU has dropped first two vs. line TY and on 4-game spread winless streak (0-3-1) since late 2019.
- Blue Raiders did get cover at UTSA after slow 2020 start. Stockstill is 8-3 vs. points last 11 as C-USA host.
Tech Edge: Slight to MTSU, based on team trends.
CHARLOTTE at FLORIDA ATLANTIC (ESPNU, 4:00 p.m.)
- FAU hopes to get going after pair of postpones.
- This now will be Taggart FAU debut! Owls were 10-4 vs. line for Kiffin last year.
- But Taggart just 8-13-1 vs. spread with SU past two seasons before getting the boot.
- Charlotte just 2-5 vs. line away from home LY.
Tech Edge: FAU, based on team trends.
GEORGIA SOUTHERN at ULM (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- Warhawks just 2-12 last 14 vs. line at Malone Stadium.
Tech Edge: Georgia Southern, based on ULM home woes.
AUBURN at GEORGIA (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.)
- A bit early for this traditional early November tilt.
- Malzahn off best spread year since 2013 title game season when 9-4 vs. line in 2019, now 1-0 in 2020.
- But Kirby Smart has had his number lately, winning and covering last 3.
- Still, Bulldogs only 2-5 as Athens chalk in 2019. Malzahn 3-1 as dog LY.
Tech Edge: Slight to Auburn, based on team trends.
LSU at VANDERBILT (SEC, 7:30 p.m.)
- Note Derek Mason entered 2020 on 3-10 spread skid before solid cover at A&M.
- Tigers won 66-38 at Nashville LY.
- Orgeron 9-1 vs. spread last ten away from Baton Rouge, spanning to before 2019 magic.
Tech Edge: LSU, based on team trends.
ARKANSAS at MISSISSIPPI STATE (SEC, 7:30 p.m.)
- Hogs actually 3-2 vs. line away from home LY but have been destroyed last two years by MSU in the Joe Moorhead days.
- Bulldogs entered 2020 on 4-10 spread skid and Leach was just 3-8 his last 11 as chalk with WSU.
- However, Miss State won in style in Leach debut last week at LSU.
Tech Edge: Slight to Arkansas, based on team trends.
SOUTHERN MISS at NORTH TEXAS (Stadium, 7:30 p.m.)
- USM now 0-6 SU and vs. line last six since late 2019.
- Golden Eagles had lost and failed to cover three straight vs. UNT prior to 45-27 win LY.
- Mean Green on 5-18 spread skid since early 2018.
Tech Edge: Slight to UNT, based on current trends.