Last Updated Aug 30, 2021, 9:52 AM
Tech Trends - Week 7
Don't miss out on expert College Football selections from Bruce Marshall this season on VegasInsider.com. Click to win!
Week 7 of the College Football season kicks off on Wednesday, October 14 and we've identified betting trends and angles for key matchups between FBS and FCS matchups.
We also have "Tech Edge" leans on the side or total for each game too.
Straight Up (SU), Against the Spread (ATS), Over-Under (O/U)
Wednesday, Oct. 14
COASTAL CAROLINA at UL LAFAYETTE (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Note that ULL only 1-5 vs. line last six for Billy Napier since late 2019 (also no covers last 4 as chalk), all after 16-4-2 spread run prior.
- Teams have split last two years with road team winning and covering each.
- Chants actually 6-1 last seven as dog since early 2019.
Tech Edge: Slight to Coastal Carolina, based on recent trends.
Thursday, Oct. 15
GEORGIA STATE at ARKANSAS STATE (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.)
- GSU on 1-7-3 spread skid as road dog since 2018, though did win and cover at home vs. ASU in 2019.
Tech Edge: Slight to Arkansas State, based on team trends.
Friday, Oct. 16
SMU at TULANE (ESPN, 6:00 p.m.)
- SMU has won outright last five meetings, covering four of those.
- Ponies 8-1 vs. spread in first five games of season since LY.
- Though Wave 5-0 as home dog since 2018.
Tech Edge: Slight to SMU, based on series trends.
BYU at HOUSTON (ESPN, 9:30 p.m.)
- UH finally on the board in 2020 with win over Tulane.
- Though BYU is 4-0 SU and 3-1 vs. line, it was 0-5 as visiting chalk LY before winning 2020 opener at Navy.
Tech Edge: Slight to Houston, based on extended trends.
Saturday, Oct. 17
BOSTON COLLEGE at VIRGINIA TECH (ACC, 8:00 p.m.)
- BC is 3-0 as dog for Hafley, and Eagles now 17-5-1 as short since 2017.
- BC has won last two and covered last three in series.
- VPI has covered four straight in Blacksburg but had dropped 8 of previous 10 vs. spread at Lane Stadium.
Tech Edge: BC, based on team and series trends.
PITT at MIAMI-FLORIDA (ACC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Panthers were 4-1 vs. line as visitor in 2019, though failed on road last week at BC.
- Miami has won and covered last two and four of last five in series.
- Canes had won and covered first three in 2020 before running into Clemson.
Tech Edge: Miami, based on series trends.
SOUTH FLORIDA at TEMPLE (ESPN+, 12:00 p.m.)
- Owls were 6-1 vs. line at Linc last season in Carey debut, now 9-2 last 11 vs. points as host.
Tech Edge: Temple, based on team trends.
NAVY at EAST CAROLINA (ESPN+, 12:00 p.m.)
- Navy was 5-0 as chalk away from Annapolis in superb 2019, but already lost big in that role at AFA.
- Teams haven’t met every year lately, but Mids have won and covered big last three since 2015, including 42-10 romp LY.
- Pirates 2-0 as dog this season, 7-2 last nine in role for Mike Houston since early 2019.
Tech Edge: Slight to Navy, based on team trends.
DUKE at N.C. STATE (RSN, 2:30 p.m.)
- Cutcliffe only 5-5-1 as dog since 2019 but is 3-1 in role thus far in 2020, and recall 25-12-1 mark as short from 2013-18.
- These long-standing Tobacco Road rivals haven’t played since 2013!
- NCS is 3-1 vs. spread early in 2020 but still just 5-12 last 17 on board since late 2018.
Tech Edge: Duke, based on extended trends.
VIRGINIA at WAKE FOREST (ACC, 3:00 p.m.)
- Bronco Mendenhall on 18-12 spread uptick since 2018 (2-1 TY).
- Cavs also 5-3 last 8 vs. number as ACC visitor.
- Teams haven’t met since 2016.
Tech Edge: Slight to Virginia, based on team trends..
AUBURN at SOUTH CAROLINA (ESPN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Muschamp 7-4-1 vs. line last 12 as SEC host.
- Gamecocks also 13-7 as dog since 2017.
- First meeting since 2014.
Tech Edge: SC, based on team trends.
NORTH CAROLINA at FLORIDA STATE (ABC, 7:30 p.m.)
- UNC is 6-0 SU and 5-1 vs. line its last five dating to late 2019.
- Noles broke six-game spread skid at ND, but still on 14-26-2 skid vs. spread since 2017.
- First meeting since 2016.
Tech Edge: UNC, based on team trends.
KANSAS at WEST VIRGINIA (FS1, 12:00 p.m.)
- KU was destroyed in first three TY, now SU and spread skid at 5 since late 2019.
- Road team has actually covered last six in series, but Les Miles teams at LSU & KU now on 7-17 spread skid last 24 since late 2015.
- WVU had dropped last four vs. line as Big 12 host prior to Baylor win.
Tech Edge: WVU, based on recent Miles marks.
LIBERTY at SYRACUSE (RSN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Hugh Freeze 4-1 last five as dog with Liberty.
- Also 5-2 last seven vs. points away from Lynchburg.
- Babers only 4-8 last 12 on board since mid 2019.
- Orange did beat Flames in opener LY.
Tech Edge: Liberty, based on recent trends.
CLEMSON at GEORGIA TECH (ABC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Dabo is 10-2-1 vs. spread last 13 against ACC foes away from Death Valley.
- Clemson has won last five meetings, 4-0-1 vs. line in those vs. GT.
- Even after ‘Ville win, Collins just 2-7 vs. line at Bobby Dodd Stadium since LY.
Tech Edge: Clemson, based on team and series trends.
KENTUCKY at TENNESSEE (SEC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Earlier than usual on calendar for this border war.
- Remarkably, UK has only beaten UT twice since 17-12 win for Jerry Claiborne in 1984.
- Vols have covered 7 of last 8 meetings.
- UT saw 8-game SU win streak snapped at Georgia but still 8-3 last 11 on board.
- Mark Stoops was 8-4 as dog past two years before falling short vs. Auburn in opener.
Tech Edge: Tennessee, based on series trends.
TEXAS STATE at SOUTH ALABAMA (ESPNU, 12:00 p.m.)
- USA on 8-3 spread uptick since mid 2019.
- Jags have covered last two meetings though Bobcats did win outright LY.
Tech Edge: Slight to USA, based on recent trends.
WESTERN KENTUCKY at UAB (FSN, 12:30 p.m.)
- WKU on 0-5-1 spread skid since late 2019.
- Tops however did win and cover last year vs. UAB, and WKU 6-4 as dog for Helton since LY (0-2 TY).
- Blazers only 1-3 vs. line early in 2020 but were 9-2-1 vs. spread at home vs. C-USA foes entering this season.
Tech Edge: UAB, based on extended trends.
OLE MISS at ARKANSAS (ESPN2, 2:30 p.m.)
- Lane Kiffin FAU & Ole Miss teams 12-5 vs. line since LY.
- Rebs also on 10-4-1 spread uptick since LY.
- Hogs had covered six straight in series prior to 2019 and have started 3-0 vs. line for Sam Pittman.
Tech Edge: Slight to Arkansas, based on extended trends.
TEXAS A&M at MISSISSIPPI STATE (SEC, 3:00 p.m.)
- If Leach a dog note 15-9 mark last 24 in role dating to Wazzu days.
- MSU had won and covered three straight in series prior to 49-30 loss at A&M LY.
Tech Edge: Mississippi State, especially if dog, based on recent trends.
CINCINNATI at TULSA (ESPN2, 12:00 p.m.)
- Tulsa now on 6-2 spread uptick since mid 2019, including 5-1 last six as dog.
- Covered last year at Cincy. Bearcats only 3-6 last nine as chalk.
Tech Edge: Tulsa, based on recent trends.
UCF at MEMPHIS (ABC, 3:30 p.m.)
- UCF only 4-9 last 13 on board, though Ryan Silverfield now 0-3 vs. line as Memphis coach.
- Tigers also no covers last four at Liberty Bowl and lost last four outright to Knights (Memphis 1-2-1 vs line in those games, though teams didn’t play in 2019).
Tech Edge: Slight to UCF, based on series trends.
ARMY at UTSA (CBSSN, 1:30 p.m.)
- Improved Roadrunners 3-0 as dog TY and have actually covered 8 of last 9 in role.
- Army just 1-5 vs. spread last six away from West Point, though did win and cover 31-13 at Alamodome early LY.
Tech Edge: UTSA, based on team trends.
LOUISVILLE at NOTRE DAME (NBC, 2:30 p.m.)
- No covers last 3 in 2020 (0-2-1) now for ‘Ville after GT loss.
- Satterfield 4-5-1 as dog with Cards though did cover in opener last year vs. ND.
- Irish 10-5 last 15 vs. spread since early 2019, and 7-4 last 11 as South Bend chalk.
Tech Edge: Notre Dame, based on recent trends.
LSU at FLORIDA (ESPN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Note Orgeron is 8-1 as dog since 2017, he’s also 2-2 SU vs. Gators.
- Dan Mullen had covered 7 straight in Gainesville prior to non-cover vs. South Carolina.
Tech Edge: Slight to LSU, based on team trends.
NORTH TEXAS at MIDDLE TENNESSEE (FSN, 4:00 p.m.)
- After Charlotte loss, UNT now on 5-20 spread skid since early 2018.
- Also no covers last nine as C-USA visitor.
- Stockstill 6-2 vs. spread last eight as C-USA host.
Tech Edge: MTSU, based on team trends.
FIU at CHARLOTTE (ESPNU, 7:00 p.m.)
- Charlotte favored here, but 49ers have been better lately in dog role (5-1 last six).
- FIU just 3-4 as dog since LY but was 6-1 previous 7 in role for Butch Davis.
- Panthers have won five straight in series but have only covered last two meetings.
Tech Edge: Slight to FIU, based on team trends.
MARSHALL at LA TECH (CBSSN, 6:00 p.m.)
- Note Skip Holtz 20-9 mark in dog role since arriving at Ruston in 2014 (1-1 TY).
- Herd has covered first three this season after 4-9 mark vs. points in 2019.
Tech Edge: La Tech, based on team trends.
GEORGIA at ALABAMA (CBS, 8:00 p.m.)
- Kirby Smart had covered five straight as a dog prior to losing SEC title game vs. LSU last December.
- Dawgs 7-2 vs. line last 9 vs. SEC foes away from Athens.
- Saban only 2-3 vs. spread last five vs. SEC at Bryant-Denny.
- These two haven’t met in reg season since 2015, though have faced in FCS title and SEC title games in recent years.
Tech Edge: Georgia, based on team trends.
SOUTHERN MISS at UTEP (ESPN2, 7:30 p.m.)
- USM had dropped six in a row SU and vs. line before UNT win.
- Golden Eagles have won last five in series, covered 3 in a row from 2016-18.
- UTEP off to 3-2 SU break from gate (that’s good for Miners!) though just 1-6 vs. spread last 7 at Sun Bowl as C-USA host.
Tech Edge: Slight to USM, based on series trends.
UMASS at GEORGIA SOUTHERN (ESPNU, 4:00 p.m.)
- UMass opener! Minutemen 0-5-1 as road dog LY in midst of overall 2-9-1 spread effort.
- GSU is 7-2 last 9 as Statesboro chalk.
Tech Edge: GSU, based on team trends.