Last Updated Aug 30, 2021, 13:52 PM
Tech Trends - Week 8
Don't miss out on expert College Football selections from Bruce Marshall this season on VegasInsider.com. Click to win!
Week 8 of the College Football season kicks off on Thursday, October 22 and we've identified betting trends and angles for key matchups between FBS and FCS matchups.
We also have "Tech Edge" leans on the side or total for each game too.
Straight Up (SU), Against the Spread (ATS), Over-Under (O/U)
Thursday, Oct. 22
ARKANSAS STATE at APP STATE (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.)
- App 0-3 vs. line TY, all as favorite. Now on 2-7 skid as chalk.
- Red Wolves 4-2 as dog since 2019 (2-0 TY).
Tech Edge: Arkansas State, based on recent trends.
Friday, Oct. 23
TULSA at SOUTH FLORIDA (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Tulsa on 6-2 spread run since late 2019.
- In USF’s last five games vs. FCS foes prior to last week vs. Temple, it has not been closer than 21 points (1-4 vs. line).
- Bulls now 2-9 vs. spread last 11 vs. FCS foes at Raymond James Stadium.
Tech Edge: Tulsa, based on team trends.
UL-LAFAYETTE at UAB (CBSSN, 8:00 p.m.)
- Cajuns have cooled vs. line, just 1-3 in 2020 after Coastal Carolina loss, now 1-6 last seven against spread since late 2019.
- All after 16-4-2 spread surge previous for Napier.
- ULL however is 7-2-1 last ten as dog for Napier.
- UAB no covers last three at home after 14-3-1 spread uptick as host.
Tech Edge: Slight to ULL, if dog, based on team trends.
ILLINOIS at WISCONSIN (BTN, 8:00 p.m.)
- Home team has covered last four in series including big Illini upset in 2019.
- Illini was 6-1 as Big Ten dog in 2019, and Badgers 2-6 as Big Ten home chalk since 2018.
Tech Edge: Slight to Illinois, based on recent trends.
Saturday, Oct. 24
GEORGIA TECH at BOSTON COLLEGE (ACC, 4:00 p.m.)
- GT 2-3 vs. line in 2020 and 5-11-1 overall vs. points since Collins arrived LY.
- Jackets 2-2 as dog this season.
- BC 3-2 vs. line for Hafley but has continued pattern from Addazio years, as dog is 4-1 in Eagles games TY.
- Dog team 15-4-1 last 20 reg-season Eagles games.
- BC also 1-6 last seven as chalk.
Tech Edge: Slight to GT, based on team trends.
FLORIDA STATE at LOUISVILLE (FSN, 12:00 p.m.)
- FSU has covered last two but still just 15-26-2 vs. spread since 2017, 4-10 against points last 14 away from Tallahassee that span.
- Cards 3-1 last four vs. line in series though FSU did cover in 2019.
- Satterfield only 2-2-1 vs. line TY but 22-9-1 vs. line at App & ‘Ville since late 2017.
Tech Edge: ‘Ville, based on team trends.
NOTRE DAME at PITTSBURGH (ABC, 3:30 p.m.)
- Irish 11-7 vs. spread since 2019 (1-3 TY) but only 2-3-1 last six as visiting chalk.
- Before Miami last week (with a spread result depending upon when game was bet), Narduzzi 8-3 last 11 as dog, 5-2 last seven as home dog.
- Panthers 4-1-1 vs. points in series since 2010 (last meeting 2018).
Tech Edge: Pitt, based on team trends.
ALABAMA at TENNESSEE (CBS, 3:30 p.m.)
- Last Vols SU win in series was 2006, the final year of Mike Shula era at Bama.
- Saban has covered 9 of 13 meetings since and 6-3 last nine vs. spread as SEC visitor.
- UT did cover last five as dog in 2019 but dropped first 2020 in role against Georgia.
Tech Edge: Bama, based on series trends.
N.C. STATE at NORTH CAROLINA (ESPN, 12:00 p.m.)
- UNC has covered last three in series.
- Heels on 6-1 SU, 5-2 spread run since late 2019. Heels 6-2-1 vs. line last 9 at Chapel Hill.
- NCS has started quick at 4-1 SU and vs. line in 2020 including 3-0 as dog after 0-5 as dog for Doeren last season.
Tech Edge: UNC, based on extended trends.
VIRGINIA TECH at WAKE FOREST (FSN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Wake has covered last two as home dog but was 0-5 in role in 2018 for Clawson.
- Deacs 8-2 vs. spread last 10 at Winston-Salem, Hokies no covers last four away from Blacksburg (0-2 this season).
- Home team has covered last six VPI reg season games.
Tech Edge: Wake Forest, based on team trends.
SYRACUSE at CLEMSON (ACC, 12:00 p.m.)
- ’Cuse just 2-5 vs. line last seven on road. Though has covered 4 of last 6 vs. Dabo.
- Orange 1-4 last 5 as DD dog.
- Clemson has covered last two big in 2020 and now 8-1 vs. line last nine as Death Valley ACC chalk.
Tech Edge: Clemson, based on team trends.
GEORGIA SOUTHERN at COASTAL CAROLINA (ESPNU, 12:00 p.m.)
- Coastal now on 5-game SU win streak after ULL triumph.
- Chants 10-5 last 15 vs. spread after win over Cajuns.
- Eagles 7-11 vs. spread last 18 since late 2018.
Tech Edge: Coastal, based on recent trends.
VIRGINIA at MIAMI-FLA (ACC, 8:00 p.m.)
- Cavs 9-4 as dog since 2018, 7-3 last ten as dog away from Charlottesville.
- Miami won and covered this meeting in 2019 after UVa had won and covered previous two.
- Prior to Pitt last week, Diaz had covered 4 of last 5 as host after covered just 4 of previous 10 at Hard Rock.
Tech Edge: Slight to Virginia, based on team trends.
TULANE at UCF (ESPN2, 2:00 p.m.)
- Tulane 12-7 vs. line since late 2018 after cover vs. SMU.
- UCF on 4-10 spread downturn since early 2019, failed to cover last year vs. Wave.
- Knights 1-4 last five vs. spread as host.
Tech Edge: Slight to Tulane, based on team trends.
HOUSTON at NAVY (CBSSN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Navy a bit erratic this season, but is 7-2 vs. points last nine at Annapolis.
- Niumatalolo also 2-1 as dog in 2020 and 8-5-1 last 14 in role.
Tech Edge: Slight to Navy, based on team trends.
PENN STATE at INDIANA (FS1, 3:30 p.m.)
- Hoosiers have covered last two meetings, though James Franklin 4-1 vs. spread on Big Ten road in 2019.
- IU 6-3 vs. spread last nine at Bloomington though has covered only 1 of last 5 openers.
Tech Edge: Slight to Indiana, based on team trends.
RUTGERS at MICHIGAN STATE (BTN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Schiano Rutgers debut (for second time). Also Tucker MSU debut.
- Scarlet Knights covered only 1 of 5 away last season though road team has covered last three meetings.
- MSU closed Dantonio era with 3-12 spread mark last 15 reg season games and just 1-9 as East Lansing chalk past two seasons.
- Tucker was 1-2 as chalk at Colorado in 2019.
Tech Edge: Slight to Rutgers, based on recent trends.
NEBRASKA at OHIO STATE (FOX, 12:00 p.m.)
- OSU has won SU the last four vs. Nebraska and 3-1 vs. line in those games, with the cover wins all by 41 or more.
- Buckeyes have won SU last five meetings (4-1 vs. line) since 2012, only Husker SU series win since entering Big Ten came in first year of membership 2011.
- Frost 1-4 vs. spread away last season, and 1-3 as dog.
- Buckeyes 6-2 vs. spread last 8 at big horseshoe (5-2 LY for Day).
Tech Edge: OSU, based on team and series trends.
IOWA at PURDUE (BTN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Note that road team has covered last nine meetings since 2011, last ten since 2008!
- Hawkeyes 7-2-1 vs. spread last ten on Big Ten road (though just 2-2 LY).
- Brohm closed fast in 2019 with covers last 4 and 7 of last 8, and 6-1 last 7 as Ross-Ade dog.
Tech Edge: Iowa, based on extended series road trends.
BAYLOR at TEXAS (ESPN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Tom Herman 1-2 vs. line vs. Baylor with Horns, and Texas on 4-7 spread downturn last 11 since late 2019.
- Horns 1-4 last five vs. Big 12 at Austin.
- Baylor was 9-1 vs. line last ten as a dog in the Matt Rhule era.
Tech Edge: Baylor, based on team trends.
CINCINNATI at SMU (ESPN2, 9:00 p.m.)
- Fickell 7-4 last 11 as dog with Bearcats, and 5-2 last seven away from Nippert LY.
- Dykes 4-1 vs. spread last five at Dallas.
- Teams last met in 2018.
Tech Edge: Slight to Cincy, based on team trends.
IOWA STATE at OKLAHOMA STATE (FOX, 3:30 p.m.)
- Matt Campbell 19-9-1 as dog with ISU (1-0 in role TY).
- Road dog has won outright last three in series and visitor has covered five in a row.
- Gundy however on 13-4 spread run since late 2018.
Tech Edge: ISU, based on series road trends.
OKLAHOMA at TCU (ABC, 12:00 p.m.)
- OU has won SU last six meetings and has covered 4 of last 5 vs. TCU.
- Though Sooners just 3-10-1 vs. spread last 14 overall since early 2019.
- Patterson has covered first two as dog in 2020 though had dropped 15 of 22 vs. spread entering 2020 (2-1 thus far 2020).
Tech Edge: Slight to TCU, based on team trends.
AUBURN at OLE MISS (SEC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Kiffin 2-2 vs. line with Rebs, his teams now 12-6 vs. spread since LY including with FAU.
- Rebs on 10-5-1 spread uptick since 2019.
- But road team has covered last six meetings.
Tech Edge: Slight to Ole Miss, based on recent trends.
WEST VIRGINIA at TEXAS TECH (ESPN2, 5:30 p.m.)
- WVU had won five in a row SU vs. TT prior to last season.
- But Red Raiders have lost last six Big 12 games outright since.
- Tech on 1-5 spread skid since late 2019.
- Mounties have covered 5 of last 8 since late 2019 for Neal Brown.
Tech Edge: WVU, based on team and extended series trends.
TEMPLE at MEMPHIS (ESPN+, 12:00 p.m.)
- Temple 2-5 vs. line away from home under Rod Carey, though even after win over UCF last week, Tigers on 1-5 spread downturn since late 2019.
- Memphis also no covers four of last five at Liberty Bowl.
Tech Edge: Slight to Temple, based on team trends.
KANSAS at KANSAS STATE (FS1, 12:00 p.m.)
- Les Miles 1-6 vs. spread last seven since late 2019 (0-3 in 2020), also 7-17 overall vs. spread since 2016 with LSU.
- Klieman now 12-5 vs. spread with KSU since LY, and Cats have won last 11 SU in series, 8-3 vs. points in those games.
Tech Edge: Kansas State, based on team and series trends.
SOUTH CAROLINA at LSU (ESPN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Muschamp only 2-4 as dog in 2019, but 2-0-1 in role TY (3-0-1 overall vs. line) and was 10-3 as dog in 2017-18.
- Orgeron only 2-4 vs. spread last six as SEC host.
Tech Edge: SC, based on team trends.
ULM at SOUTH ALABAMA (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- ULM on 5-17 spread skid since late 2018.
- Though Warhawks have beaten USA last two meetings outright.
- Jags on 8-3 spread uptick since early 2019.
Tech Edge: USA, based on recent trends.
MARYLAND at NORTHWESTERN (BTN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Cats 0-6-3 vs. spread last nine at Evanston, and 0-8-1 as chalk since late 2018.
- Though Terps just 1-6 last seven as visiting dog (1-2 for Locksley LY).
- Maryland 6-1 vs. line last seven openers.
Tech Edge: Maryland, based on team trends.
TEXAS STATE at BYU (ESPN, 10:15 p.m.)
- Cougs 2-1 as Provo chalk in 2020 though just 3-6 previous nine in role.
- Texas State playing fifth straight on road and 2-0 getting 20 or more.
Tech Edge: Slight to Texas State, based on team trends.
UTAH STATE at BOISE STATE (FS1, 7:00 p.m.)
- Boise has won last four meetings and covered last three vs. Utags.
- USU just 2-4 last six as dog.
- Broncos covered 5 of last 6 as host LY after struggling vs. line previously on blue carpet.
Tech Edge: Boise, based on series and recent trends.
FLORIDA ATLANTIC at MARSHALL (FSN, 2:30 p.m.)
- Taggart 0-1 vs. line with Owls, now 8-14-1 since 2018 at FSU & FAU.
- Herd has opened 4-0 SU and vs. line in 2020, and Doc has covered last three in series.
Tech Edge: Marshall, based on recent and series trends.
HAWAII at FRESNO STATE (Spectrum, 7:30 p.m.)
- Graham UH debut, DeBoer Fresno debut.
- Hawaii just 4-7 last 11 vs. line on mainland in Rolovich era, 8-13-1 last 22 as dog.
- FS 4-0-1 vs. line last five meetings, though Bulldogs dropped off last season, just 3-8-1 vs. number as Tedford era closed.
Tech Edge: Slight to Fresno, based on series trends.
UNLV at SAN DIEGO STATE (CBSSN, 10:30 p.m.)
- Arroyo UNLV debut, Hoke SDSU debut (for second time!).
- Rebs were 17-10 as road dog in the Sanchez era and have covered last two vs. Aztecs.
- SDSU closed Rocky Long era just 4-10 its last 14 vs. spread as MW host.
Tech Edge: UNLV, based on recent series and team trends.
AIR FORCE at SAN JOSE STATE (FS1, 10:30 p.m.)
- AFA has already played once this season and thumped Navy, now Falcs have covered 7 of last 9 on board since mid 2019.
- SJSU covered last 4 and 6 of last 8 as dog in 2019, now on 11-6-1 spread run since early 2018, and has covered 7 of last 9 as MW host.
Tech Edge: Slight to SJSU, based on recent trends.
WYOMING at NEVADA (CBSSN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Bohl has won and covered last three vs. Wolf Pack since 2015, including LY.
- Wyoming 6-3 vs. spread last nine away from Laramie.
Tech Edge: Wyoming, based on team and series trends.
SOUTHERN MISS at LIBERTY (ESPN+, 12:00 p.m.)
- Liberty is 11-5 vs. line in the Hugh Freeze era since LY.
- USM on 1-6 spread downturn since late 2019, just 2-5 last seven as dog.
Tech Edge: Liberty, based on recent trends.
MICHIGAN at MINNESOTA (ABC, 7:30 p.m.)
- Little Brown Jug!
- Gophers on 9-4-2 spread uptick since late 2018.
- Harbaugh 3-5 as road chalk past two years, Fleck 7-2-1 last 10 as dog.
- First meeting since 2017.
Tech Edge: Minnesota, based on team trends.
GEORGIA STATE at TROY (ESPNU, 4:00 p.m.)
- After Ark St loss, GSU 2-5-1 vs. line away from home since LY, 2-9-3 away since 2018.
- Troy just 6-10 vs. line for Chip Lindsey since 2019.
- GSU won big LY 52-33 though Troy won previous three (2-1 vs. line in those).
Tech Edge: Slight to GSU, based on team trends.
UTEP at CHARLOTTE (ESPN+, 12:00 p.m.)
- Improved UTEP 3-2 SU and vs. line in 2020 (that’s an improvement for Miners), though Charlotte has covered first three in 2020.
- 49ers covered 4 of their last 5 as host in 2019.
Tech Edge: Slight to Charlotte, based on team trends.
MIDDLE TENNESSEE at RICE (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- 2020 debut for Rice.
- Bloomgren better than expected 5-4 as home dog past two years.
- MTSU had covered three in a row before North Texas fiasco.
- Revenge for Blue Raiders after 31-28 home loss (as -14) in 2019.
Tech Edge: Slight to MTSU, based on team trends.
LOUISIANA TECH at UTSA (ESPNU, 8:00 p.m.)
- If dog, note Roadrunners 3-1 in role TY, now 8-2 last ten as dog.
- If La Tech a dog, note Skip Holtz 20-9-1 in role since arriving at Ruston in 2014.
- Skip had covered three straight vs. UTSA prior to last season.
Tech Edge: Underdog, based on team trends.
KENTUCKY at MISSOURI (SEC, 4:00 p.m.)
- UK has won last five meetings, covering four of those.
Tech Edge: UK, based on series trends.