Last Updated Aug 30, 2021, 9:52 AM
Tech Trends - Week 16
Don't miss out on expert College Football selections from Bruce Marshall this season on VegasInsider.com. Click to win!
Week 16 of the College Football season kicks off on Friday, Dec. 18 and concludes on Saturday, Dec. 19.
We've identified betting trends and angles for key matchups between FBS matchups and focus on the 10 Championships on tap.
We also have "Tech Edge" leans on the side or total for each game too.
Straight Up (SU), Against the Spread (ATS), Over-Under (O/U)
Friday, Dec. 18
UAB at Marshall (CBSSN, 7:00 p.m. ET)
- Conference USA Title Game
- John C Edwards Stadium, Huntington, West Virginia
- After recent overachieving vs. the line, UAB tailed off in 2020, just 2-6 vs. spread
- Blazers also no covers in their last five
Tech Edge: Slight to Marshall, based on recent trends.
Ball State at Buffalo (ESPN, 7:30 p.m. ET)
- MAC Championship
- Ford Field, Detroit, Michigan
- Buffalo covered 4 of 5 while recording an unbeaten 5-0 SU mark this season
- Upping head coach Lance Leipold’s spread mark to 30-13-3 the last three+ seasons
Tech Edge: Buffalo, based on team trends.
Oregon at USC (FOX, 8:00 p.m. ET)
- Pac-12 Championship
- L.A. Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, California
- Ducks no covers last three in 2020
- USC 3-0 last three games vs. the spread
- Trojans “under” 4-1 this season
Tech Edge: Slight to USC and “under,” based on recent team and “totals” trends
Nebraska at Rutgers (Big Ten, 4:00 p.m. ET)
- Scarlet Knights an improved 5-3 vs. line this season in head coach Greg Schiano debut.
- Huskers 6-13-1 vs. line for Frost since last season
Tech Edge: Rutgers, based on team trends.
Saturday, Dec. 19
Florida State at Wake Forest (ACC, 12:00 p.m. ET)
- FSU 2-6 vs. line this season
- Seminoles are 15-28-2 vs. points since 2017
- Wake 3-1-1 vs. line last five meetings
- WF also on 5-1 spread run this season
Tech Edge: Wake Forest, based on team trends.
Air Force at Army (CBSSN, 3:00 p.m. ET)
- Underdog team 4-0-1 vs. line last five meetings
- Air Force has won and covered last three and 9 of last 10 meetings at Michie Stadium (NY)
Tech Edge: Air Force, especially if dog, based on team and series trends
Minnesota at Wisconsin (Big Ten, 4:00 p.m. ET)
- Road team 5-0-1 vs. line last six in battle for Paul Bunyan’s Axe
Tech Edge: Minnesota, based on series trends.
Illinois at Penn State (FS1, 5:30 p.m. ET)
- Nittany Lions on a late-season surge, having won and covered last three after dropping first five.
Tech Edge: Penn State, based on recent trends.
Washington State at Utah (FS1, 1:30 p.m. ET)
- Cougars have faltered since opening win at Oregon State
- Washington State just 1-2 vs. line this season
- Cougars are now on 5-13 spread skid since late 2018, dating to the Mike Leach era
Tech Edge: Utah, based on team trends.
Stanford at UCLA (ESPN2, 8:00 p.m. ET)
- Bruins broke 10-game SU series losing streak (1-9 vs. line) in last year’s 34-16 win at Palo Alto
- Stanford 4-12-1 vs. spread since 2019
Tech Edge: UCLA, based on recent trends.
Arizona State at Oregon State (ESPN, 10:30 p.m. ET)
- Beavers continue to provide good spread value, now on 13-3-1 spread run last 17 on board
Tech Edge: OSU, based on team trends.
Northwestern at Ohio State (FOX, 12:00 p.m. ET)
- Big Ten Championship
- Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana
- Northwestern 5-1 both SU and ATS this season
- Wildcats are 13-3 as underdogs away from home since 2016
- Buckeyes only 4-6 last 10 vs. spread since late 2019
- 'Cats also on 13-5 “under” run
Tech Edge: Northwestern and “under,” based on team and “totals” trends.
Oklahoma at Iowa State (ABC, 12:00 p.m. ET)
- Big 12 Championship
- AT&T Stadium, Arlington, Texas
- Matt Campbell 2-3 SU but 5-0 vs. line against OU since arriving at Ames in 2016.
- Cyclones 19-9-1 as underdogs for Campbell (counts OSU this year as push).
Tech Edge: Iowa State, based on series and team trends.
UL Lafayette at Coastal Carolina (ESPN, 3:30 p.m. ET)
- Sun Belt Championship
- Brooks Stadium, Conway, South Carolina
- ULL 9-2-1 last 12 as an underdog since early 2018
- Though Coastal is 11-0 SU and 8-2-1 vs. ATS in 2020
- Note road team has covered last two meetings including 48-7 ULL win at Conway last year.
Tech Edge: Slight to ULL, based on team and series trends.
Clemson at Notre Dame (ABC, 4:00 p.m. ET)
- ACC Championship
- Bank of America Stadium, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Rematch of ND’s 40-34 upset in OT back on Nov. 7
- Irish head coach Brian Kelly 4-1 last five as a 'dog.
- Clemson 11-3-1 ATS last 15 vs. ACC foes away from Death Valley
- However, Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney only 4-6 vs. line in 2020
Tech Edge: Slight to Clemson, based on extended trends.
Tulsa at Cincinnati (ABC, 8:00 p.m. ET)
- American Championship
- Nippert Stadium, Cincinnati, Ohio
- Magical Tulsa has won last six SU and is 6-1 vs. spread in 2020
- Golden Hurricane on 10-3 spread uptick since mid 2019, also “under” 7-3 last 10
- Tulsa 6-1 last seven as a 'dog and covered last year vs. Cincy
- Bearcats however on 8-3 spread advance since late 2019
Tech Edge: Tulsa and slight to “under,” based on team and “totals” trends.
Alabama at Florida (CBS, 8:00 p.m. ET)
- SEC Championship
- Mercedez-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, Georgia
- Note Gators head coach Dan Mullen covered 4 of last 7 meetings while at MSU in games vs. Alabama
- However, Mullen didn’t win outright in any of those, or in 9 tries vs. Nick Saban while coaching in Starkville
- Crimson Tide has won and covered last seven in 2020
Tech Edge: Slight to Alabama, based on recent trends.
Boise State at San Jose State (FOX, 4:15 p.m. ET)
- Mountain West Championship
- Sam Boyd Stadium, Las Vegas, Nevada
- SJSU is both 5-0 SU and ATS in 2020 (counting UNLV as a cover)
- Spartans head coach Brent Brennan now on 14-4-1 spread uptick since late 2018
- San Jose State has also covered seven straight as a dog and “under” 5-0 this season, “under” last six since late 2019
- Boise State however “over” 5-0 in 2020
Tech Edge: San Jose State, based on team trends.
Texas A&M at Tennessee (ESPN, 12:00 p.m. ET)
- Vols 1-6 SU, 2-5 vs. line last seven TY, not closer than 12 points in any of the SU losses
- Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher has covered 6 of last 8 on road
- Note that Vols are 11-3 “under” since late 2019
Tech Edge: A&M and “under,” based on team and “totals” trends.
Mississippi at LSU (SEC, 3:30 p.m. ET)
- If getting points, note Rebels are 7-2-1 as 'dogs since last season (2-1 for Kiffin TY)
- Ole Miss has also covered 6 of last 7 away Kiffin teams (FAU included)
- Rebels are 7-3 “over” last 10 since late 2019
Tech Edge: Ole Miss and slight to “over,” based on team and “totals” trends.
Missouri at Mississippi State (SEC, 3:30 p.m. ET)
- Leach has covered two of last three two two seasons after dropping previous five
- Also, Leach had been on 5-16 spread skid prior since late 2018 at Washington State
- Bulldogs “under” 7-2 in 2020, on 10-3 “under” run since mid 2019
Tech Edge: “Under”, based on “totals”