Last Updated Oct 13, 2021, 11:00 PM
Tech Trends - Week 7
Don't miss out on expert College Football selections from Bruce Marshall this season on VegasInsider.com. Click to win!
Week of the College Football season kicks off on Thursday, October 14 and concludes on Saturday, October 16.
We've identified betting trends and angles for key matchups between FBS squads.
We also have "Tech Edge" leans on the side or total for each game too.
Straight Up (SU), Against the Spread (ATS), Over-Under (O/U)
Thursday, Oct. 14
GEORGIA SOUTHERN at SOUTH ALABAMA (ESPNU, 7:30 p.m.)
- Eagles working on three straight covers in 2021, the last two of those under interim HC Kevin Whitley, who took over for the dismissed Chad Lunsford on Sept. 27.
- GSU also 7-0 SU, 6-1 vs. line last seven meetings vs. Jags.
- USA appears improved for Kane Wommack but just 2-3 vs. line after Texas State loss last week.
Tech Edge: GSU, based on series trends.
NAVY at MEMPHIS (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Mids stirring again after slumping, now covering three in a row.
- Road dog has also been a good role for Mids in past (20-10 between 2009-18).
- Navy has also covered 5 of last 6 vs. Memphis.
- Tigers 5-11-1 vs. line for Silverfield, with no covers last six as reg season chalk vs. FBS foes.
Tech Edge: Navy, based on team and series trends.
Friday, Oct. 15
CLEMSON at SYRACUSE (ESPN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Almost four years to the day since Clemson lost at Carrier Dome, as Cuse has played Clemson tough for a few years (3-1 vs. line last four meetings).
- Dabo no covers last six since late LY (0-5 in 2021).
Tech Edge: ‘Cuse, based on recent and series trends.
MARSHALL at NORTH TEXAS (CBSSN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Huff has now failed to win or cover three of last four for Herd, with Marshall spread mark now 4-8 since midway last season.
- Mean Green has stabilized a bit lately (3-2 vs. line TY) but still just 10-23 vs. spread since mid 2018.
Tech Edge: Slight to UNT, based on recent trends.
SAN DIEGO STATE at SAN JOSE STATE (CBSSN, 10:30 p.m.)
- Road team has covered last four meetings.
- Aztecs 8-4 vs. spread last 12 away from home (counting Carson games as home since LY).
- After impressive 14-4-1 spread mark, Spartans now 1-6 last seven on board, and no covers last five in 2021.
Tech Edge: SDSU, based on series road and recent trends.
CALIFORNIA at OREGON (ESPN, 10:30 p.m.)
- Bars tough lately on Ducks, covered last two years, scored upset win LY.
- Wilcox 8-1 last nine as road dog.
- Ducks no covers last four as Autzen chalk (0-3 TY).
Tech Edge: Cal, based on team trends.
Saturday, Oct. 16
OHIO at BUFFALO (ESPN+, 12:00 p.m.)
- Bobcats were off slow in 2021, didn’t win or cover in first four but have bounced back for consecutive wins and covers.
- Ohio still just 8-13 vs. spread since 2019.
- Bulls 2–4 SU, 2-3-1 vs. line in Linguist debut.
Tech Edge: Slight to Ohio, based on recent trends.
TULSA at SOUTH FLORIDA (ESPNU, 12:00 p.m.)
- Interestingly, Golden Hurricane 2-0 vs. line away TY and just 1-3 vs. spread as host.
- Tulsa 5-0 vs. spread as visitor since LY and has covered last four in this series (teams didn’t meet in 2019).
- Jeff Scott 7-7 vs. line for Bulls despite 2-12 SU mark since taking over LY.
- Golden Hurricane romped 42-13 in this matchup a year ago.
Tech Edge: Tulsa, based on team trends.
UCF at CINCINNATI (ABC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Knights 7-18 vs. spread last 25 on board (Malzahn 1-4), just 1-1 in rare dog roles since 2019.
- After Temple romp, Cincy 4-1 vs. line TY, 9-3 last 12 on board, though didn’t cover last Nov 21 at Orlando.
Tech Edge: Cincy, based on team trends.
OKLAHOMA STATE at TEXAS (FOX, 12:00 p.m.)
- Road team has covered last 3 and dog has covered last 4 meetings.
- Cowboys 8-4 vs. spread last 12 away, Horns 3-2-1 vs. line after last six meetings against OU.
- Sark however has won and covered first three this season at Austin.
Tech Edge: Slight to OSU, based on series trends.
RUTGERS at NORTHWESTERN (BTN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Though dropping last two, Schiano still 9-6 vs. spread since arriving back at Rutgers LY, also covers in all six as visitor.
- Looks like one of those years at NU, Cats 1-4 vs. line (only cover vs. lowly Ohio).
Tech Edge: Rutgers, based on recent trends.
NEBRASKA at MINNESOTA (ESPN2, 12:00 p.m.)
- Huskers unbeaten vs. spread last six since Week Zero loss to Illinois.
- Frost 8-2-1 vs. spread since late 2020. In case an underdog here, note covers last five as dog.
- Fleck just 1-4-1 last six as host, though Gophers have won and covered 3 of last 4 meetings in series.
Tech Edge: Nebraska, based on recent trends.
MICHIGAN STATE at INDIANA (FS1, 12:00 p.m.)
- Hoosiers won 24-0 LY and covers last two in series.
- But time starts this year for Spartans, who are 6-0 SU and 3-0 vs. line on road, winning twice outright as a dog.
- IU no covers last five vs. FBS opposition.
Tech Edge: Michigan State, based on recent trends.
TEXAS A&M at MISSOURI (SECN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Jimbo 6-2 vs. spread last 8 as SEC visitor. Tigers have dropped last 9 vs. line since late 2020!
Tech Edge: A&M, based on recent trends.
FLORIDA at LSU (ESPN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Orgeron has won and covered last 2 and 3 of last 4 vs. Gators including a shocker at Swamp last season.
- But Tigers just 2-3 vs. points last five as SEC host.
- Dan Mullen 7-4-1 last 11 SEC games vs. line.
Tech Edge: Slight to Florida, based on team trends.
AUBURN at ARKANSAS (CBS, 12:00 p.m.)
- Controversial loss (but cover) for Porkers 30-28 in this matchup at Jordan-Hare LY.
- Tigers 4-9 vs. points last 13 away from home.
- After cover at Ole Miss, Pittman is 12-4 vs. spread at Arkansas (5-1 TY).
Tech Edge: Arkansas, based on recent trends.
BALL STATE at EASTERN MICHIGAN (ESPN+, 2:00 p.m.)
- Streaky Cards might be ready for another turnaround like LY after consecutive wins following four spread Ls to begin campaign (last year it was five covers after three losses to start the 2020 season).
- The Eagles might also be stirring with a string of three spread Ws after three spreads Ls to open 2021.
- EMU now 4-7 vs. points last 11 at Ypsilanti after close win vs. Miami-O last week.
Tech Edge: Slight to Ball State, based on team trends.
AKRON at MIAMI-OHIO (ESPN+, 2:30 p.m.)
- Arth notched one of his few covers with Zips against RedHawks in 2019, when Miami won by only 20-17 and no cover.
- Akron only 5-19 vs. points since 2019 in the Arth era, but does have a pair of covers already in 2021 after last week's win over Bowling Green.
Tech Edge: Miami-O, based on Akron negatives.
TROY at TEXAS STATE (ESPN+, 3:00 p.m.)
- Trojans not gaining a lot of traction for Chip Lindsey, just 11-18 vs. spread on his watch (2-4 TY).
- Troy only 2-5 vs. spread last seven as visitor.
- Bobcats 6-1 vs. number last six vs. FBS foes at San Marcos.
Tech Edge: Texas State, based on team trends.
FRESNO STATE at WYOMING (FS2, 3:30 p.m.)
- Teams haven’t met since 2018. DeBoer has failed to cover his last three on MW road, also no covers last two in 2021 after fast start.
- Bohl 4-1 SU in 2021 but real note is 10-0 vs. line last ten vs. FBS foes at Laramie, and covers last four as home dog.
Tech Edge: Wyo, based on team trends.
ARIZONA at COLORADO (Pac-12, 3:30 p.m.)
- Last game Cats won outright was Oct 5, 2019 vs. CU.
- UA has lost 17 in a row SU since, 5-12 vs. spread in those games.
- Buffs, however fading more than a bit, on 1-6 SU and spread skid since late 2020.
Tech Edge: Slight to CU, based on UA negatives.
KENT STATE at WESTERN MICHIGAN (ESPNU, 3:30 p.m.)
- Golden Flashes have dropped four straight vs. line on MAC road.
- Kent State also began this season “under” its first five games before high-scoring win over Buffalo last week.
- Broncos were on 3-0-1 spread uptick in 2021 before Ball State loss last week.
Tech Edge: WMU and slight to “under,” based on team and “totals” trends.
BOWLING GREEN at NORTHERN ILLINOIS (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- Remarkable spread turnaround for BGSU, which even after upset loss to Ohio is 5-1 vs. spread (and was last remaining unbeaten spread team).
- Falcons owned 15-39 mark vs. points in the 54 games entering this season. Those five covers to begin 2021 were as a dog as well.
- Huskies 3-0-1 vs. line at DeKalb this season but were 0-3 as host vs. points a year ago.
Tech Edge: BGSU, based on recent trends.
TOLEDO at CENTRAL MICHIGAN (CBSSN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Rockets have covered five straight on the road.
- Though McElwain has covered the last two in series.
- Chips have dropped last four vs. spread after 16-6 run prior for McElwain.
Tech Edge: Slight to Toledo, based on recent trends.
BYU at BAYLOR (ESPN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Even after Boise loss, Sitake is 16-2 SU, 11–6-1 vs. line with BYU since LY, also 5-2 vs. spread last seven away from Provo.
Tech Edge: BYU, based on recent trends.
PURDUE at IOWA (ABC, 3:30 p.m.)
- Brohm no covers last three TY, now on 2-8 spread skid since early 2020.
- He did upset Hawkeyes in 2020 opener, however.
- Ferentz is 10-2 vs. spread since that Purdue loss.
Tech Edge: Iowa, based on recent trends.
PITTSBURGH at VIRGINIA TECH (ESPN2, 3:30 p.m.)
- Though Hokies got Pitt on Bud Foster Day two years ago, Panthers have still covered 6 of last 7 meetings.
- Narduzzi 9-3 vs. spread as visitor since 2019.
- Hokies on 6-12 spread skid.
Tech Edge: Pitt, based on team and series trends.
MIAMI-FL at NORTH CAROLINA (ACCN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Mack Brown has won and covered last 2 years vs. Canes, including a 62-26 rout LY.
- Heels 3-1 SU and vs. line at Chapel Hill thus far in 2021 and 0-2 on road.
- Diaz on 6-13 spread skid with Miami.
Tech Edge: UNC, based on team and recent series trends.
UAB at SOUTHERN MISS (Stadium, 3:30 p.m.)
- Blazers have covered last four on road.
- Golden Eagles slow from blocks for Will Hall, 1-5 SU and vs. line first six, back further its 5-14 last 19 on board.
- Though USM has covered last two vs. UAB (didn’t play LY)
Tech Edge: UAB, based on team trends.