Last Updated Oct 19, 2021, 5:00 PM
Tech Trends - Week 8
Don't miss out on expert College Football selections from Bruce Marshall this season on VegasInsider.com. Click to win!
Week 7 of the College Football season kicks off on Wednesday, October 20 and concludes on Saturday, October 23.
We've identified betting trends and angles for key matchups between FBS squads.
We also have "Tech Edge" leans on the side or total for each game too.
Straight Up (SU), Against the Spread (ATS), Over-Under (O/U)
Wednesday, Oct. 20
COASTAL CAROLINA at APPALACHIAN STATE (ESPN2, 7:30 p.m.)
- App 6-2 as dog back to 2017 and the Satterfield era, though Mounties have dropped 3 of last 4 vs. line TY after big loss to ULL on Tuesday.
- App had won three straight in series until last year.
- Chants 12-4-1 vs. line since last season, though only 3-3 as chalk away from home that span.
Tech Edge: Coastal, based on team trends.
Thursday, Oct. 21
LOUISIANA-LAFAYETTE at ARKANSAS STATE (ESPNU, 7:30 p.m.)
- Cajuns had covered just 1 of 5 TY and 6 of last 19 before last Tuesday’s rout of App.
- Also just 2-6 vs. line last eight away from Lafayette.
- After App result, Cajuns “under” 12-5 last 17.
- Red Wolves only one cover last five in 2021 (1-3-1).
Tech Edge: Slight to “under,” based on “totals” trends.
TULANE at SMU (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Wave slumping with no wins and covers last four this season, longest Tulane SU skid under Fritz since his first year of 2016 and first-ever 4-game spread slump under Fritz.
- Mustangs have won and covered last four at home since mid 2020.
- Wave also hasn’t beaten SMU since 2012 (six losses in a row).
Tech Edge: SMU, based on series and recent trends.
FAU at CHARLOTTE (CBSSN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Road team has covered last three in series.
- 49ers however have covered first three at home this season, and on 11-6 spread run.
Tech Edge: Slight to Charlotte, based on team trends.
SAN JOSE STATE at UNLV (CBSSN, 10:00 p.m.)
- Spartans had dropped five straight vs. number prior to Friday cover vs. SDSU.
- Home team is 5-0-2 vs. spread last seven in series, though Rebs had not covered in first five at Allegiant Stadium until last week vs. the Utags.
Tech Edge: Slight to UNLV, based on series home trends.
Friday, Oct. 22
MIDDLE TENNESSEE at UCONN (CBSSN, 6:00 p.m.)
- Blue Raiders 0-3 vs. line away TY, but have covered lone chance as chalk.
- Note Stockstill did cover 4 of last 5 away LY en route to 5-2 finish vs. line in 2020.
- Huskies have actually covered 4 of last 5 after Yale win, but just 7-20 vs. spread previous.
Tech Edge: Slight to UConn, based on recent trends.
MEMPHIS at UCF (ESPN2, 7:00 p.m.)
- Something has to give here! Tigers still to cover a game as visitor under Ryan Silverfield (0-6-1), but Knights reeling at 1-5 vs. line TY (Malzahn), and 7-19 last 26 on board.
- UCF also 13-5 “over” run, and last three “over” in series.
Tech Edge: “Over,” based on “totals” trends.
COLORADO STATE at UTAH STATE (CBSSN, 9:30 p.m.)
- Rams on recent uptick with four covers in a row, and CSU has covered last four in series (though teams didn’t meet in 2020).
- Meanwhile the Utags have dropped their last three vs. the number in 2021 after breaking a quick 3-0 from the gate.
Tech Edge: CSU, based on recent and series trends.
WASHINGTON at ARIZONA (ESPN2, 10:30 p.m.)
- After loss to UCLA on weekend, Huskies only 2-8 vs. line for Jimmy Lake, though one of those covers came vs. UA last year.
- Lake yet to cover a game on road (0-2).
- Jedd Fisch 0-3 vs. line at home for Cats, who have also dropped five straight vs. spread in Tucson and haven't won outright in more than two years (18 SU losses in a row since!).
Tech Edge: Slight to Washington, based on UA negatives.
Saturday, Oct. 23
CINCINNATI at NAVY (ESPN2, 12:00 p.m.)
- Bearcats on 14-5 spread surge since late 2019, have also covered 7 of last 8 away from Nippert Stadium.
- Mids stirred a bit prior to Memphis loss when 3-game spread cover streak ended.
- Navy also just 4-5 last nine as Annapolis dog.
Tech Edge: Cincinnati, based on team trends.
ILLINOIS at PENN STATE (ABC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Bielema Illini debut a bit bumpy, though Illinois trend to note has been 6-1 “under” mark.
- James Franklin 9-1 SU, 8-2 vs. line last ten since mid 2020, though has dropped 2 of last 3 vs. spread.
Tech Edge: Penn State and “under,” based on team and “totals” trends.
KANSAS STATE at TEXAS TECH (FS1, 12:00 p.m.)
- Cats have covered last four and won last five outright vs. Tech.
- Klieman 6-4 vs. line as Big 12 visitor, while Matt Wells 7-11 last 18 vs. spread.
Tech Edge: Kansas State, based on series trends.
NORTHERN ILLINOIS at CENTRAL MICHIGAN (ESPNU, 12:00 p.m.)
- McElwain has really run up scores on NIU the past two seasons, and Chips have actually covered seven straight vs. Huskies.
- CMU however had dropped 4 straight vs. line after 16-6 spread run prior for McElwain, all prior to win and cover in exciting fashion last week vs. Toledo.
- NIU 5-2 vs. line TY and 2-1 as dog, 4-1-1 as dog since 2020.
Tech Edge: CMU, based on series trends.
NORTHWESTERN at MICHIGAN (FOX, 12:00 p.m.)
- Pat Fitz 14-5 vs. spread last 19 Cats Big Ten games away from Evanston (though 0-1 TY).
- Harbaugh 5-1 vs. line TY but no covers last five as Big Ten host (0-1 TY).
Tech Edge: Northwestern, based on extended trends.
OKLAHOMA at KANSAS (ESPN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Sooners had dropped first four vs. line against FBS foes this season prior to Texas and TCU wins.
- Jayhawks have actually covered 2 of last 3 meetings, but KU 0-5-1 vs. line this season for Leipold, 1-12-1 vs. spread since last season (Miles 1-7).
Tech Edge: OU, based on KU woes.
EASTERN MICHIGAN at BOWLING GREEN (ESPN+, 12:00 p.m.)
- Eagles’ long-standing road success has waned a bit this season (0-3 vs. line away).
- Entered TY 25-5 vs. spread previous 30 away from Ypsilanti.
- BGSU was the last team to lose a spread decision this season (Falcs now 6-1 vs. line).
Tech Edge: Slight to EMU, based on extended trends.
WAKE FOREST at ARMY (CBSSN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Deacs on 8-5 spread uptick their last 13 reg season games.
- Black Knights 5-5 last nine as dog after hanging within price at Wisconsin last week.
Tech Edge: Slight to Wake Forest, based on team trends.
UMASS at FLORIDA STATE (ACCN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Minutemen respectable 3-3 vs. line TY, but 0-2 away, and 2-9-1 vs. spread as visitor since 2019.
- Noles, however, on 1-7 skid laying points.
Tech Edge: Slight to UMass, based on FSU chalk negatives.
SYRACUSE at VIRGINIA TECH (RSN, 12:30 p.m.)
- After cover vs. Clemson, Cuse is now 6-1 vs. line this season.
- Orange also 5-1 vs. spread last six away.
- Meanwhile things not well at VT, where Justin Fuente has no covers last four TY, and just 6-13 last 19 on board.
Tech Edge: Syracuse, based on team trends.
KENT STATE at OHIO (ESPN+, 1:00 p.m.)
- Flashes no covers last four on road.
- Bobcats have made a bit of a turnaround after slow break from gate for Albin, covered last three.
- Had been on 6-14 spread prior stretching to end of Solich era.
Tech Edge: Ohio, based on recent trends.
TEXAS STATE at GEORGIA STATE (ESPN+, 2:00 p.m.)
- After cover vs. Troy last week, Bobcats on 8-3 spread run since late LY.
- Panthers “over” 13-4 since late in 2019.
Tech Edge: Slight to Texas State and “over,” based on team and “totals” trends.
WISCONSIN at PURDUE (BTN, 3:00 p.m.)
- Dog team has covered last three in series.
- But Boilermakers no covers last five as Big Ten host.
Tech Edge: Slight to Wisconsin, based on team trends.
BYU at WASHINGTON STATE (FS1, 3:30 p.m.)
- BYU has dropped 3 of last 4 vs. line in 2021 but did win and cover first three vs. Pac-12 foes this season.
- Wazzu has been turning things around, covers in four straight including outright wins the past three vs. Cal, Oregon State, and Stanford. All after dropping previous six vs. spread.
Tech Edge: WSU, based on recent trends.
CLEMSON at PITTSBURGH (ESPN, 3:30 p.m.)
- After latest non-cover vs. Cuse, Dabo is now 0-6 vs. spread this season and no covers last seven dating to end of last campaign.
- Meanwhile Panthers 5-1 vs. line TY, also on 14-4 “over” run, though Clemson “under” 5-1 this season after low-scoring ‘Cuse game.
Tech Edge: Pitt, based on team trends.
COLORADO at CALIFORNIA (Pac-12, 3:30 p.m.)
- Though a thumping winner over Arizona last week, Karl Dorrell has dropped 6 of last 8 vs. spread since opening up 4-0 with Buffs.
- Snakebit Golden Bears, however, have dropped first three vs. line at Berkeley, now 1-8 last nine as reg season chalk.
Tech Edge: Slight to Colorado, based on Cal chalk woes.
LSU at MISSISSIPPI (CBS, 3:30 p.m.)
- Tigers have covered 4 of their last 5 on SEC road though still just 3-4 vs. spread in 2021.
- Rebs haven’t won SU in series since 2015.
- Dog team has covered last two meetings.
- Last four in series “over” as well.
Tech Edge: “Over” and slight to LSU, based on “totals” and team trends.
MARYLAND at MINNESOTA (ESPN2, 3:30 p.m.)
- Terps have taken two ferocious beatings in a row (albeit vs. heavyweights Iowa & Ohio State).
- UMD now no covers last five Big Ten games, though did upset Fleck LY.
- Gophers 8-4-1 vs. line last 13 as Big Ten host.
Tech Edge: Minnesota, based on team trends.
NEW MEXICO at WYOMING (Stadium, 3:30 p.m.)
- Lobos no covers first seven this season, though they did beat Wyo (in Vegas) last December.
- UNM has actually covered last two in this series.
- That Lobo cover in 2019 is one of only two Cowboys spread Ls vs. FBS foes at Laramie since 2019 (the other L was last week vs. Fresno).
Tech Edge: Wyoming, based on New Mexico negatives.
OKLAHOMA STATE at IOWA STATE (FOX, 3:30 p.m.)
- Underdog side has covered 5 of last 6 in series.
- After Texas upset last week, Mike Gundy is 13-4 as a dog since 2016 with Cowboys.
- Though Cyclones have covered 5 of last 7 as chalk.
Tech Edge: Slight to OSU, based on team trends.
OREGON at UCLA (ABC, 3:30 p.m.)
- After latest non-cover on Friday (vs Cal), Ducks have now dropped four straight vs. line and just 1-6 last seven vs. number since late LY, and 2-9 last 11 on board.
- Bruins however have only beaten UO once since 2007 (2017).
Tech Edge: UCLA, based on recent Oregon woes.
WESTERN MICHIGAN at TOLEDO (CBSSN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Broncos 4-1-1 vs. line last six in 2021.
- Rockets however have won and covered 3 of last 4 in series, with WMU coming close 41-38 LY.
- Toledo on 1-7-1 spread skid at Glass Bowl.
Tech Edge: WMU, based on team trends.
RICE at UAB (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- Owls a bit slow out of gate this season, 1-5 vs. line, while also “over” 4-2 as defense sags.
- Blazers just 2-4 last six vs. spread as host, though have covered 4 of last 5 in 2021, and “under” 8-1 since late 2020.
Tech Edge: UAB and "under,” based on team and “totals” trends.
BUFFALO at AKRON (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- Bulls have won and covered last three meetings but that was all Lance Leipold’s doing.
- Linguist 1-3-1 vs. spread against FBS foes in 2021.
- Zips fighting a bit, Arth 3-4 vs. line in 2021 after 1-17 SU and 2-16 vs. line performance in his first two seasons.
Tech Edge: Slight to Buffalo, based on team trends.
MIAMI-OH at BALL STATE (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- Home team has won and covered last three meetings.
- Covers in last three for Cards in 2021 after dropping first four vs. line, similar spread pattern to last season.
Tech Edge: Slight to Ball State, based on team trends.
BOSTON COLLEGE at LOUISVILLE (ACCN, 4:00 p.m.)
- Eagles have covered last four in series, also 12-4 last 16 as visiting dog (Addazio & Hafley).
- BC 4-2 SU and vs. line for Hafley in 2021, though off heavy loss to N.C. State.
- Satterfield just 4-4 vs. line last 8 as host for the 'Ville.
Tech Edge: Boston College, based on team and series trends.
EAST CAROLINA at HOUSTON (ESPNU, 4:00 p.m.)
- Pirates have covered 5 of last 6 as visitor (App opener was neutral at Charlotte), also 7-4-1 last 12 as dog.
- Cougs have covered 4 of last 5 this season as Holgorsen hints at a turnaround.
- UH still just 2-4 last six as home chalk vs. FBS foes (0-2 TY; counts Tex Tech game at NRG Stadium as home).
Tech Edge: Slight to ECU, based on team trends.
LIBERTY at NORTH TEXAS (ESPN+, 4:00 p.m.)
- Even after shock loss to ULM, Hugh Freeze and his Flames are 16-4 vs. points their last 20 on board.
- Mean Green stabilizing somewhat vs. line in 2021 but still 10-23 vs. spread since mid 2018.
Tech Edge: Liberty, based on team trends.
MISSISSIPPI STATE at VANDERBILT (SECN, 4:00 p.m.)
- Leach 0-4 vs. line as SEC chalk since last season, just 3-10 as favorite stretching back to end of Wazzu run.
- Dores 4-7 vs. spread last eleven SEC games but easily covered this matchup last season and were well within the price last Saturday at South Carolina.
Tech Edge: Slight to Vandy, based on Leach chalk woes.
NEVADA at FRESNO STATE (FS2, 7:00 p.m.)
- Wolf Pack has won and covered last two meetings.
- Nevada also 9-4 vs. spread last 13 in MW play, and Jay Norvell now 6-1 last seven as dog.
- Even after Wyo win last week, FS's Kalen DeBoer just 4-5 vs. spread in MW play since taking over Bulldogs in 2020.
Tech Edge: Nevada, based on recent trends.
SAN DIEGO STATE at AIR FORCE (CBSSN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Aztecs have won last 8 SU in series (7 of those Rocky Long), but haven’t met Falcons since 2018.
- Force “under” 11-3 since last season.
Tech Edge: “Under” and slight to SDSU, based on “totals” and team trends.
TENNESSEE at ALABAMA (ESPN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Last Vols win over Tide was in 2006 against Mike Shula, the year before Saban arrived at Bama.
- Road however has covered last three in series.
- Bama however has won and covered last nine as SEC host in Tuscaloosa.
Tech Edge: Slight to Bama, based on team trends.
UTSA at LOUISIANA TECH (Stadium, 7:00 p.m.)
- Roadrunners 3-0 vs. line away TY (6-1 vs. spread overall), 6-2 vs. number last eight away.
- Skip Holtz, however, was 19-8 as dog between 2014-19 with Bulldogs, and has covered first three as dog in 2021.
Tech Edge: Slight to La Tech, based on extended trends.
WESTERN KENTUCKY at FIU (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- Tops were “over” 8 in a row since late last season before ODU was so poor on offense it held last Saturday's game "under" at ODU.
- Meanwhile Butch Davis and his Golden Panthers are 7-17 vs. spread since start of 2019, also "over" 4-1 in 2021.
Tech Edge: “Over” and Western Kentucky, based on “totals” trends and FIU negatives.
SOUTH ALABAMA at UL-MONROE (ESPN3, 7:00 p.m.)
- Jags have covered the last two meetings and are an improved 4-2 SU this season for Kane Wommack.
- Shocker over Liberty suggests Terry Bowden might be in early stages of turnaround for Warhawks.
- ULM now respectable 3-3 vs. line after entering this season on 7-17 spread skid at end of Matt Viator regime.
Tech Edge: Slight to USA, based on team trends.
TEMPLE at USF (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- Bulls have covered last four meetings, also “over” 9-4 under Jeff Scott, including last five at home.
- USF 3-3 vs. spread in Tampa for Scott, though it rarely wins outright (2-12 SU for Scott).
Tech Edge: “Over,” based on USF “totals” trends.
GEORGIA TECH at VIRGINIA (ACCN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Jackets 1-4 vs. line last five on ACC road.
- After last week's romp past Duke, Bronco Mendenhall's Cavs are on an 11-2 spread run at Charlottesville.
Tech Edge: Virginia, based on team trends.
N.C. STATE at MIAMI-FL (ESPN2, 7:30 p.m.)
- Wolfpack 12-6 vs. line since LY.
- Manny Diaz got cover for Miami at UNC last week, but Canes on 7-13 spread downturn, and no covers last six vs. FBS-level foes at Hard Rock.
Tech Edge: NCST, based on recent trends.
OHIO STATE at INDIANA (ABC, 7:30 p.m.)
- Buckeyes revving up with three heavy covers in a row, and Ryan Day 7-1-1 vs. spread as Big 10 visitor since 2019.
- Though Hoosiers have covered 8 of last 10 meetings.
- No IU SU series wins since 1988 (though a tie in 1990) as Buckeyes have won SU last 25 meetings!
- IU 1-5 vs. line TY after 7-1 spread mark last season.
Tech Edge: OSU, based on recent trends.
SOUTH CAROLINA at TEXAS A&M (SECN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Gamecocks have cooled down a bit, just one cover in last four games after Vandy escape.
- Now SC just 1-9 last ten vs. spread in SEC play.
- Meanwhile, Jimbo's Aggies are stirring again with two wins and covers in a row.
Tech Edge: A&M, based on team trends.
USC at NOTRE DAME (NBC, 7:30 p.m.)
- Trojans only 2-5 last seven vs. spread since late 2020, 5-9 last 14 on board.
- Irish have now won last three and 4 of last 5 in series.
- Though ND just 1-4 vs. spread last five as South Bend chalk.
Tech Edge: Slight to Notre Dame, based on team trends.
UTAH at OREGON STATE (Pac-12, 7:30 p.m.)
- Utes had dropped first four vs. spread this season until SC and ASU wins.
- Utah has also now won and covered six straight on Pac-12 road.
- Beavs 8-5 vs. spread last 13 at Corvallis (3-0 TY).
Tech Edge: Slight to Utah, based on team trends.
WEST VIRGINIA at TCU (ESPNU, 7:30 p.m.)
- Wins in last four, covers last five in series for Mountaineers.
- Though WVU just 2-6 vs. spread last eight away from Morgantown.
- Frogs just 3-7 vs. number last ten as Big 12 host.
Tech Edge: West Virginia, based on series trends.
NEW MEXICO STATE at HAWAII (Spectrum, 12:00 a.m.)
- Improved Ags have actually covered 5 of their last 6 this season, though the one non-cover in that span was vs. Hawaii at Las Cruces on Sept. 25.
- So a rare in-season college rematch here.
- Four straight road covers for NMSU.
- Bows 1-5 vs. line last six as home chalk (0-3 for Todd Graham).
Tech Edge: NMSU, based on recent trends.