Dec 26, 2021
Bowl Tech Trends - Week 3
Don't miss out on expert College Football selections from Bruce Marshall this season on VegasInsider.com. Click to win!
The third week of the College Football bowl season kicks off on Tuesday, December 28 and concludes on Monday, January 3.
We've identified betting trends and angles for these matchups.
We also have "Tech Edge" leans on the side or total for each game too.
Straight Up (SU), Against the Spread (ATS), Over-Under (O/U)
Tuesday, Dec. 28
HOUSTON vs. AUBURN (ESPN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Under Malzahn, Tigers 1-4 SU and vs. line last five bowls.
- Auburn also lost last four outright in 2021 (1-3 vs. line in those games).
- Harsin 3-2 SU and vs. line in bowls with Boise. Tigers also 4-7 “under” this season.
- Holgorsen no covers last seven bowls while at West Virginia.
Tech Edge: Auburn, based on Holgorsen bowl trends.
FIRST RESPONDER BOWL
LOUISVILLE vs. AIR FORCE (ESPN, 3:15 p.m.)
- Falcs 4-0-1 vs. line away from home this season (counts Nevada game as push), Troy Calhoun also 6-2 vs. spread his last eight bowl games.
- Since bowl win two years ago, Cards just 11-11 vs. line.
Tech Edge: Air Force, based on team trends.
TEXAS TECH vs. MISSISSIPPI STATE (ESPN, 6:45 p.m.)
- Mike Leach Bowl vs. former employer! Leach has failed to cover last five bowl games (0-4 at WSU, 0-1 at MSU) , though Bulldogs did close 2021 on 5-1 spread uptick.
- Red Raiders never managed back-to-back spread covers all season, though were 4-2 vs. line away from Lubbock.
Tech Edge: Slight to MSU, based on recent trends.
NORTH CAROLINA STATE vs. UCLA (FOX, 8:00 p.m.)
- Bruins first bowl since 2017. Chip Kelly 8-4 SU and vs. line this season.
- Bruins won and covered last three, also “over” 4-1 last five in 2021.
- Pack 2-3 vs. line away from Raleigh, also “over” last three.
Tech Edge: UCLA and “over,” based on team and “totals” trends.
GUARANTEED RATE BOWL
WEST VIRGINIA vs. MINNESOTA (ESPN, 10:15 p.m.)
- Interestingly, these sides have never met before!
- Neal Brown is 4-0 SU, 3-1 vs. line in bowls at Troy and WVU.
- Fleck has won and covered his last two bowls with Gophers, and has covered 7 of last 8 away from Minneapolis.
Tech Edge: Slight to Minnesota, based on team trends.