Create FREE Account

Last Updated Aug 30, 2021, 14:02 PM

Ballpark Figures - Week 25


Editor's Note: Don't miss out on 30 days of Winning Baseball Picks from Joe Williams for the 2017-18 MLB regular season. Click to win!

Streaky Teams (entering Monday)
Wins and Losses Streak Over/Under Streak
Baltimore 3-12 past 15 games overall Colorado Under 5-1 past six games
Houston 12-2 past 14 games overall L.A. Dodgers Under 11-6-1 past 18 games
Philadelphia 2-6 past eight games overall N.Y. Mets Under 4-0-1 past five games
Pittsburgh 8-3 past 11 games overall Pittsburgh Under 12-4-1 past 17 games
San Francisco 2-12 past 14 games overall San Francisco Under 17-2-1 past 20 games

Giant Fade
The San Francisco Giants have been a great parlay fade lately, betting against their futility while taking the 'under'. Over the past 14 games, the Giants have won just twice while the 'under' is 12-2 during the stretch, too. The Giants have lost AND the 'under' on 10 separate occasions during the 14-game streak.

That streak will be put to the test, as the Giants take it on the road to face the last-place San Diego Padres. LHP Andrew Suarez will take the ball for San Francisco, while RHP Bryan Mitchell works for the Fathers. The Giants have won just twice over their past 14 games on the road, and they're a dismal 1-8 across the past nine outings vs. RHP. The Giants haven't had a lot of luck inside the division, either, going just 2-5 in their past seven against NL West foes. The only good thing going for the Giants lately has been Suarez, and San Francicso has won four of the past five when the lefty kicks off a new series. The 'under' is 25-7-2 in the past 34 for the Giants against NL West clubs, too, while going 3-0-1 in Suarez's past four outings. The under is also 6-1-1 in his past eight assignments against divisional opponents.

For the Padres, they're just 16-35 across the past 51 against left-handed starting pitchers, while winning just 16 times over their past 53 divisional games. They haven't had a lot of luck at Petco vs. lefties, too, winning just once in their past eight at home against southpaws. While they're also a dismal 1-4 in Mitchell's past five starts at home, they have won four of his past five outings overall, so that might be the way to go against Suarez and the skidding Giants.

The 'under has cashed in five of the past six inside the division for the Padres, while going 6-0 in their past six games to kick off a new series. However, the 'over' is 6-2 in their past eight games, 20-6-1 in the past 27 at home vs. LHP and 4-1 in Mitchell's past five outings in San Diego.

Looking Ahead

Monday, Sept. 17
The Rockies and Dodgers square off in an important National League West Division battle at Chavez Ravine on Monday night. RHP Jon Gray will take the ball for the Rox, while the Dodgers counter with LHP Hyun-Jin Ryu. Gray is 0-0 with a .308 opponent batting average across just 9 2/3 innings over two starts against the Dodgers this season. However, he has really picked up the pace since the All-Star break, going 3-0 with a 3.77 ERA across 10 starts with 49 strikeouts over 62 innings and a .215 opponent batting average during the span.

For L.A., Ryu has been a tale of two pitchers. On the road, he is 1-1 with a 4.15 ERA in five road assignments, but at home he is 3-2 with a minuscule 1.51 ERA with 47 strikeouts and just six walks over 41 2/3 innings with a .223 opponent batting average. This will be his first meeting against Colorado this season, and that might be a good thing based on his history. Ryu is a terrible 0-4 with an 8.64 ERA across four starts against the Rockies since the start of the 2015 season. It's his highest ERA against any team in the league during the span.

Mariners LHP Wade LeBlanc takes the ball on Monday at Minute Maid Park against the Astros. He has cooled off lately, and the Astros might cool him off more. He is 1-1 with an 8.31 ERA across three starts and two relief appearnaces over 17 1/3 innings with a .347 opponent batting average against Houston this season.

Phillies RHP Jake Arrieta will work against the Mets on Monday at 'The Vault'. He is 0-1 in two outings against the Mets, but he has a 0.68 ERA over 13 1/2 innings with 11 strikeouts and a .188 opponent batting average against New York. Mets RHP Zack Wheeler has faced the Phillies just once this season, allowing three earned runs and seven hits over just 4 2/3 innings in a no-decision back on July 9.

Weather Report
There is a 40 percent chance of rain for the Blue Jays-Orioles battle at Camden Yards, so beware. The Royals and Pirates will be dodging plenty of rain drops in the Steel City, and there is a 60 percent chance of precipitation forecast for first pitch thanks to the remnants of Hurricane Florence moving up through the Keystone state.

They needn't worry about rain in Philadelphia, but the Mets and Phillies will face a stiff 10-13 mph wind blowing from right to left field. Four other games will be played under a dome, so the weather concerns during the early part of the week are going to be confined to the east.

Tuesday, Sept. 18
Yankees RHP JA Happ will work against the Red Sox, and he looks to stay red hot. Since the All-Star break he is 6-0 with a 2.61 ERA over nine outings spanning 51 2/3 innings while striking out 52 batters with a .219 opponent batting average. He is 0-1 with a 0.84 ERA in two outings against the Red Sox this season with a sparkling .214 average and 16 punch outs over just 10 2/3 innings. Boston counters with RHP Nathan Eovaldi, but it might not end well for the BoSox starter. He is 2-6 with a 5.68 ERA across 57 innings over 12 road starts this season, and the opponent is hitting .288 against him.

Cardinals LHP Austin Gomber takes the ball for Tuesday's outing in Atlanta. The former Florida Atlantic University star has posted a 5-1 record with a 3.78 ERA in nine starts and two relief appearances since the All-Star break. The Braves counter with RHP Anibal Sanchez. While he has a 3.01 ERA and 1.12 WHIP overall on the season, and the opponent is hitting just .217 against him, he is actually just 1-3 across 55 innings in nine home starts and one relief appearance. This will actually be his first appearance against the Cardinals since July 8, 2012.



We may be compensated by the company links provided on this page. Read more

MLB News