Top Betting Trends
Looking for the top betting trends to make the most informed bet?
Well, we have you covered here with our experts at VegasInsider!
Check out the sports we have featured below:
|NFL||NFL BETTING TRENDS|
|NBA||NBA BETTING TRENDS|
|NHL||NHL BETTING TRENDS|
|MLB||MLB BETTING TRENDS|
|CFB||CFB BETTING TRENDS|
|CBB||CBB BETTING TRENDS|
What are betting trends?
Betting trends are breakdowns of how a team is performing over time, with particular attention to spread betting. Knowing a team's performance "against the spread" (ATS) is a great way to determine a team's performance against public perception. For example, if a team has a positive record against the spread, they're "covering" the spread (scoring enough points to ensure a winning bet, even if the team loses the match outright).
Often, betting trends will also include money and ticket %, percentages which let you know the overall handle (the amount of money bet) and the ticket percentage. Every time you place a bet, that creates a "ticket", so you can think of the ticket percentage as the number of bets placed without respect to the overall total in dollars. This is a great way to indicate popularity of a certain bet, and gives you a better idea of what the public is betting.
Using betting trends to make your bets is a surefire way to give yourself an edge against the house. While there are no guarantees in the world of betting, your performance is always going to be better if you're paying attention to betting trends. Need more hands-on experience? Let's dive into a real world example.
NFL Betting Trends: Example
Let's create a hypothetical matchup between the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the New England Patriots. This is what a typical breakdown of betting trends would look like:
Tampa Bay vs. New England
- The total has gone UNDER in 5 of Tampa's last 5 games on the road
- Tampa is 4-1 SU in its last 5 games when playing New England
- New England is 17-4 SU in its last 21 games when playing at home against Tampa
- New England is 6-2 ATS in its last 8 games
Again, this is just a hypothetical, but gives you a good idea of what to expect when you're getting betting trend data. This data is used to give you the best educated guess on how your team or teams are going to perform against the spread or straight up, if they're meeting expectations, etc.
Short Term vs. Long Term Trends
When you're looking at betting trends, you'll want to note a difference between short term and long term trends:
- Short term trends include ATS ratings over the past few games, stats for a given year, etc. These are great places to look for spread and totals betting in particular, as these trends give a snapshot of a team's performance during the season.
- Long term trends include ratings over a franchise's history, and speaks to larger trends like a team's performance against a historic rival, performance in certain weather conditions, and more. These are great places to look for futures betting, as two teams might not play each other until the championship game, and bettors won't have a clear picture of how the teams perform against each other in a given season.
Other Popular (and Not-So-Popular) Betting Trends
There are a ton of ways that sports analysts correlate the data for team and player performance, and it isn't just measured against the spread. Here are some other common and not-so-common metrics for measuring betting trends:
- Team performance against the spread (ATS) at home
- How a team fares against the spread (ATS) on the road
- Team performance against the spread (ATS) versus rivals
- How a team fares as underdog versus home favorite
- Team's stats during rain, snow, other weather
- Team's stats in red/blue states
- Player performance when reported to be at a nightclub before the game
...and much more. Obviously, some stats are more reliable than others, and we're not encouraging anyone to make harebrained bets based on whether or not the moon was full that evening. However, looking at our top betting trends can give you insight that you won't get anywhere else! Make educated guesses using our stats and trends, and most importantly, be responsible and have fun!