Last Updated Aug 30, 2021, 9:52 AM
Tech Trends - Week 9
Don't miss out on expert College Football selections from Bruce Marshall this season on VegasInsider.com. Click to win!
Week 9 of the College Football season kicks off on Thursday, October 29 and we've identified betting trends and angles for key matchups between FBS and FCS matchups.
We also have "Tech Edge" leans on the side or total for each game too.
Straight Up (SU), Against the Spread (ATS), Over-Under (O/U)
Thursday, Oct. 29
SOUTH ALABAMA at GEORGIA SOUTHERN (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.)
- After losing and failing to cover five straight vs. GSU, USA at least covered in LY’s close 20-17 loss.
- Eagle margin of win was 32.4 pg in previous five series wins.
- Jags on 10-3 spread uptick since mid 2019.
- GSU only 2-5 last seven as Belt chalk.
Tech Edge: USA, based on recent trends.
COLORADO STATE at FRESNO STATE (CBSSN, 10:00 p.m.)
- Addazio was 14-4-1 vs. line as dog the past three years at BC, and Rams won for Bobo as dog at Fresno LY.
- Bulldogs tailed off to 1-4-1 vs. line at home in Tedford final season a year ago and began 2020 with home loss to Hawaii in DeBoer debut.
Tech Edge: CSU, especially if dog, based on Addazio trends.
Friday, Oct. 30
EAST CAROLINA at TULSA (ESPN2, 9:00 p.m.)
- Tulsa on 7-2 spread uptick since mid-2019 (3-0 TY).
- Golden Hurricane 5-2 last seven as chalk and routed ECU last year.
Tech Edge: Tulsa, based on team trends.
MINNESOTA at MARYLAND (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Terps ended 2019 on 3-7 spread downturn for Locksley and promptly blown out in opener at N’western.
- Fleck covered last three laying DD a year ago and entered 2020 on 9-4-2 spread uptick before Michigan loss.
- Home team blowout wins past two years (Minn 52-10 in 2019).
Tech Edge: Minnesota, based on team trends.
HAWAII at WYOMING (FS1, 9:45 p.m.)
- Bohl on 7-2 spread run last nine at Laramie.
- Hawaii covered in opener at Fresno but still just 5-10 vs. line alst 15 on mainland.
Tech Edge: Wyoming, based on team trends.
Saturday, Oct. 31
MICHIGAN STATE at MICHIGAN (FOX, 12:00 p.m.)
- Spartans just 9-18 vs. line since 2018, also 0-4 in once-solid dog role (during Dantonio days) last year.
- Harbaugh has won and covered last two vs. MSU after dropping vs. spread in first three vs. Spartans.
- Wolverines are 9-4 as Ann Arbor chalk past two seasons.
Tech Edge: Michigan, based on recent trends.
WAKE FOREST at SYRACUSE (ACC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Deacs 4-1 vs. line in 2020 but have dropped last six vs. number away from Winston-Salem.
- Cuse just 7-11 vs. line since 2019 (3-3 TY).
- Orange has won and covered last two meetings after Wake won 2016-17 clashes.
Tech Edge: Slight to Wake, based on recent trends.
NORTH CAROLINA at VIRGINIA (ACC, 8:00 p.m.)
- Cavs now 10-4 last 14 as dog after Miami cover.
- Bronco Mendenhall has also won and covered last three vs. Heels.
Tech Edge: Virginia, based on team and series trends.
UTSA at FLORIDA ATLANTIC (FSN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Roadrunners 4-1 as dog in 2020, 9-2 last 11 in role.
- Taggart teams at FSU & FAU now 9-14-1 vs. line since 2018.
Tech Edge: UTSA, based on team trends.
KANSAS STATE at WEST VIRGINIA (ESPN2, 12:00 p.m.)
- If KSU a dog note 2-0 mark in role TY, 8-2 since Klieman arrived LY, 23-7 in role sine 2016 dating to Bill Snyder’s last three seasons.
- Though have lost last four and failed to cover last three vs. Mounties.
- Neal Brown 2-1-2 as chalk with WVU.
Tech Edge: Kansas State, based on team trends.
BOSTON COLLEGE at CLEMSON (ABC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Tigers 8-2 vs. line last ten as ACC chalk.
- Dabo also 22-6-1 vs. spread against ACC teams since late 2017.
- Tigers, however, only 2-3-2 vs. spread last seven against BC.
- Eagles 3-1 as dog for Hafley, now 19-6-1 in role since late 2016 for Addazio & Hafley.
Tech Edge: Slight to BC, based on team trends.
VIRGINIA TECH at LOUISVILLE (ACC, 4:00 p.m.)
- Note road team has covered last seven VPI games in reg season.
- Cards 6-3 vs. spread at home since LY for Satterfield, whose teams are 23-10-3 vs. spread since late 2017 at App.
- Hokies just 3-11 last 14 as chalk away from Blacksburg.
Tech Edge: ‘Ville, based on team trends.
NOTRE DAME at GEORGIA TECH (ABC, 3:30 p.m.)
- Collins 5-12-1 vs. line at GT since last season, 2-4 in 2020.
- Jackets 5-9-1 as dog that span.
- Irish covered last three as road chalk a year ago.
- Teams haven’t met since 2015.
Tech Edge: Notre Dame, based on team trends.
CHARLOTTE at DUKE (FSN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Charlotte has covered first three on road in 2020.
- Cutcliffe 4-9-1 last 13 as chalk , 0-7-1 last 8 laying points at Durham vs. FBS-level foes.
Tech Edge: Charlotte, based on team trends.
COASTAL CAROLINA at GEORGIA STATE (ESPNU, 12:00 p.m.)
- Coastal now on 5-game SU win streak after ULL triumph.
- Chants 10-5 last 15 vs. spread after win over Cajuns.
- GSU on 6-1 spread uptick in Atlanta.
- Road team 2-0-1 vs. line last three meetings.
Tech Edge: Slight to Coastal, based on recent trends.
INDIANA at RUTGERS (BTN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Hoosiers no covers last six as chalk away from home since 2018 (0-3 LY).
- Home team has covered last four in series.
- Rutgers 1-3 as Big Ten home dog LY but 4-3 last seven in role pre-Schiano.
Tech Edge: Rutgers, based on team trends.
OHIO STATE at PENN STATE (ABC, 7:30 p.m.)
- OSU has won last three meetings but covered none of those, in fact James Franklin has now covered four straight vs. Buckeyes.
- Nittany Lions 7-2 last nine as dog for Franklin.
Tech Edge: Penn State, based on series trends.
MEMPHIS at CINCINNATI (ESPN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Cincy covered both vs. Memphis LY even when losing outright.
- Tigers 1-4 vs. spread last five away from Liberty Bowl, and 3-8 last 11 overall vs. line.
Tech Edge: Cincy, based on team trends.
PURDUE at ILLINOIS (BTN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Purdue covered all four as Big Ten road dog in 2019 and now six straight in role.
- Boilermakers had won and covered three straight vs. Illini prior to LY.
- Lovie 4-6 last ten as chalk
Tech Edge: Purdue, based on team trends.
SAN DIEGO STATE at UTAH STATE (CBSSN, 9:30 p.m.)
- Aztecs 6-3 vs. spread last nine away from home.
- After Boise loss, Utags on 4-7 spread skid since early 2019.
Tech Edge: SDSU, based on team trends.
WESTERN KENTUCKY at BYU (ESPN, 10:15 p.m.)
- Cougs roaring in 2020, 6-0 SU and 5-1 vs. line.
- Tops 0-6 vs. spread in 2020 and now 0-7-1 last eight on board since late 2019.
Tech Edge: BYU, based on recent trends.
NEW MEXICO at SAN JOSE STATE (FS1, 7:00 p.m.)
- Spartans 10-4-1 vs. spread since late 2018, 17-9-1 last 27 on board after AFA win.
- Lobos enter 2020 on 4-15 spread run, also lost and failed to cover at SJSU last year.
Tech Edge: SJSU, based on team trends.
NORTH TEXAS at UTEP (CBSSN, 4:00 p.m.)
- UNT on 5-18 spread skid since mid 2018 though Mean Green off big win at MTSU.
- Miners 4-2 vs. line in 2020, however on 2-9 spread skid at Sun Bowl and still just 14-27-1 vs. spread since 2017.
Tech Edge: Slight to UTEP, based on recent trends.
BOISE STATE at AIR FORCE (CBSSN, 6:00 p.m.)
- Boise has gotten Air Force the past three years, covering each, though had failed to cover previous five in series.
- Broncos 1-4 vs. spread last five away from home.
- Calhoun 20-9 as dog since 2014, 6-2 last 8 as home dog same span.
Tech Edge: Slight to AFA, based on team trends.
NEVADA at UNLV (FS1, 10:30 p.m.)
- Fremont Cannon! Rebs have won back-to-back meetings for first time since 2003-04.
- First game for UNLV at Allegiant Stadium.
- Pack only 7-12 vs. spread last 19 away from Reno.
Tech Edge: Slight to UNLV, based on recent trends.
RICE at SOUTHERN MISS (ESPN+, 3:00 p.m.)
- USM has won last five outright in series, but Owls 7-2 vs. spread last nine as visitor.
- Golden Eagles 1-7 last eight vs. line since late 2019.
Tech Edge: Slight to Rice, based on recent trends.
NORTHWESTERN at IOWA (ESPN, 3:30 p.m.)
- NU 12-2 vs. spread last 14 as Big Ten visiting dog for Fitzgerald.
- Cats had won and covered three straight in series before 20-0 loss LY at Evanston.
- Hawkeyes only 3-7 vs. line last ten as Big Ten Iowa City chalk.
Tech Edge: Northwestern, based on team trends.
TEXAS at OKLAHOMA STATE (FOX, 4:00 p.m.)
- Tom Herman as a dog again? Didn’t quite work vs. OU but that game did go four OTs.
- Herman was 16-5 as dog previous five seasons as dog at Texas and Houston.
- Though OSU has covered last two meetings and Gundy on 13-4-1 spread run.
Tech Edge: Texas, if dog, based on extended trends.
OKLAHOMA at TEXAS TECH (FOX, 8:00 p.m.)
- Home team has covered last seven meetings.
- Even after WVU win, Red Raiders 4-7 vs. line since late 2019.
- Sooners only 5-9-1 last 15 vs. Big 12 away from Norman even counting TCU win last week.
Tech Edge: Texas Tech, based on series trends.
TEMPLE at TULANE (ESPN+, 12:00 p.m.)
- Rod Carey 3-5 vs. spread with Owls away from Linc.
- Wave 7-1 last 8 vs. spread at home.
- The Owls did win and cover vs. Tulane at Philly last season.
Tech Edge: Tulane, based on team trends.
UL LAFAYETTE at TEXAS STATE (ESPNU, 8:00 p.m.)
- ULL has won and covered last seven meetings!
- Cajuns snapped back from 3-game spread skid with UAB win, Napier now on 19-10-2 spread run since early 2018.
- Napier 12-3-1 vs. line last 16 away reg season after UAB win.
Tech Edge: ULL, based on series and team trends.
TROY at ARKANSAS STATE (ESPN+, 3:00 p.m.)
- ASU had covered 5 of 6 prior to loss at App State.
- Red Wolves have covered 6 of last 8 as Belt host.
- After Georgia State loss, Chip Lindsey 6-11 vs. spread since taking over at Troy in 2019.
Tech Edge: Slight to Arkansas State, based on team trends.
TCU at BAYLOR (ESPN2, 3:30 p.m.)
- Road team has covered last four meetings.
- Patterson 2-0 as dog TY, 13-10 last 23 in role (was 7-2 in role 2014-16).
Tech Edge: TCU, based on series trends.
UCF at HOUSTON (ESPN+, 2:00 p.m.)
- UCF 1-4 last five vs. line on American road, and currently on 4-11 spread skid.
- Knights were 13-4 previous 17 on board.
- Holgorsen just 2-5 vs. points at TDECU Stadium since arriving at UH in 2019 (one game at NRG LY), but Cougs did cover big number at Orlando in 2019.
Tech Edge: Slight to UCF, based on extended trends.
IOWA STATE at KANSAS (FS1, 12:00 p.m.)
- KU just one cover its last nine (1-7-1) since late 2019. Though that was against ISU last Nov. 23.
- If counting OSU game as a cover, Cyclones 11-5 vs. line last 16 on Big 12 road.
Tech Edge: ISU, based on KU negatives.
LSU at AUBURN (CBS, 3:30 p.m.)
- Underdog side has covered last four in series.
- If Orgeron a dog note 8-1 mark in role since 2017.
- Malzahn on 4-6 spread downturn.
Tech Edge: LSU, if dog, based on team and series trends.
UAB at LA TECH (FSN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Skip Holtz only 1-2 as dog TY but entering 2020 was 19-8 as dog since he arrived at Ruston in 2019.
- After ULL loss, Blazers just 5-8 last 13 on board in first spread mini-downturn of Clark era.
Tech Edge: La Tech, based on extended Skip Holtz trends.
OLE MISS at VANDERBILT (SEC, 4:00 p.m.)
- Vandy now on 4-12 spread skid. Home team however has covered last four in series.
- Lane Kiffin 12-7 vs. line since LY with FAU & Rebs, Rebs on 10-6-1 spread run since LY.
- Kiffin 8-4 as chalk since LY.
Tech Edge: Ole Miss, based on recent trends.
APPALACHIAN STATE at UL MONROE (ESPNU, 4:00 p.m.)
- ULM on 5-15 spread skid, Warhawks also 1-8 vs. number last nine at Malone Stadium.
- App finally first cover of 2020 vs. Ark State and 7-2 last nine vs. points on Belt road.
Tech Edge: App State, based on team trends.
MISSISSIPPI STATE at ALABAMA (ESPN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Leach no covers last three in 2020, now just 1-2 as dog TY.
- Leach also started slow in first WSU season 2012 (no covers first four).
- Saban hasn’t lost to Bulldogs since his first year with Tide (2007) and has covered 4 of last 5 meetings.
Tech Edge: Alabama, based on team trends.
ARKANSAS at TEXAS A&M (SEC, 7:30 p.m.)
- Hogs 4-0 vs. line for Sam Pittman in 2020, and Porkers have covered last two in series.
- Jimbo 2-3 last five as Kyle Field chalk.
Tech Edge: Arkansas, based on recent trends.
GEORGIA at KENTUCKY (SEC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Cats haven’t beaten Dawgs since 2009.
- UGa had covered six straight in series before barely missing a year ago.
- Mark Stoops now 13-7 vs. line since late 2018, and 11-5 last 16 as dog.
Tech Edge: Kentucky, based on recent trends.
MISSOURI at FLORIDA (SEC Alternate, 7:30 p.m.)
- Gators had covered seven straight in Swamp before barely missing vs. South Carolina on Oct. 3.
- Tigers no covers last five away from Columbia (0-1 for Drinkwitz).
Tech Edge: Florida, based on team trends.