Last Updated Sep 21, 2021, 2:00 PM
Tech Trends - Week 4
Don't miss out on expert College Football selections from Bruce Marshall this season on VegasInsider.com. Click to win!
Week 4 of the College Football season kicks off on Thursday, September 23 and concludes on Saturday, September 25.
We've identified betting trends and angles for key matchups between FBS squads.
We also have "Tech Edge" leans on the side or total for each game too.
Straight Up (SU), Against the Spread (ATS), Over-Under (O/U)
Thursday, Sep. 23
MARSHALL at APPALACHIAN STATE (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Huff wins and cover first two out of gate for Herd though MU failed last Saturday at home vs ECU and recall closing 2020 on a 1-5 spread downturn.
- Herd hasn't been dog since 2019 (2-1 in role that year).
- App State 2-0 SU and vs. Line out of gate after 3-9 spread mark LY.
Tech Edge: App State based on team trends.
Friday, Sep. 24
MIDDLE TENNESSEE at CHARLOTTE (CBSSN, 6:30 p.m.)
- If getting points, note MTST Rick Stockstill had covered 8 of 9 as a CUSA dog prior to last week's 27-13 loss at UTSA
- Charlotte just 3-5 last seven as chalk vs. FBS-level foes
Tech Edge: Middle Tennessee based on team trends.
WAKE FOREST at VIRGINIA (ESPN2, 7:00 p.m.)
- Demon Deacons won and covered twice vs. Mendenhall's Cavs and have actually covered five of six in series back to 2003.
- Wake is 18-11-1 as dog for Dave Clawson since 2016, though Cavs on 9-1 spread run at home
Tech Edge: Wake Forest based on team trends.
LIBERTY at SYRACUSE (ACCN, 8:00 p.m.)
- Freeze on 12-2 and 16-3 spread run with Flames, who covered secen in row on road.
- Prior to last week, Dino Babers only 4-7 vs. spread last 11 at home, 4-6 home dog.
Tech Edge: Liberty based on team trends.
UNLV at FRESNO STATE (CBSSN, 10:00 p.m.)
- UNLV is still winless SU (0-9) for Arroyo, and no wins or covers last three vs. Fresno.
- DeBoer off to 4-0 spread start including 2-0 at home in early 2021 by whopping margins.
Tech Edge: Fresno State based on series trends.
Saturday, Sep. 25
TEXAS TECH at TEXAS (ABC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Teams have split 3-3 SU and vs. line last six years.
- Red Raiders 3-6 vs spread last nine on Big 12 road.
- Sark is 2-0 as home chalk for Horns byt Herman just 2-6-1 in last nine in same role.
Tech Edge: Texas based on team trends.
SMU at TCU (FS1, 12:00 p.m.)
- Road team is 5-0-1 vs. line last six in this local rivalry.
- Sonny Dykes is 6-2 last 8 as dog with Mustangs.
- Frogs 3-7 last 10 as home chalk vs. FBS-level foes
Tech Edge: SMU based on team trends.
FIU at CENTRAL MICHIGAN (ESPN+, 12:00 p.m.)
- McElwain is 16-7 vs. line since arriving in CMU, 8-1 chalk.
- Butch Davis and FIU just 3-10 vs. line last 13 vs. FBS-foes
Tech Edge: CMU based on team trends.
OHIO at NORTHWESTERN (BTN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Both teams 0-3 vs. line in 2021
- Post-Solich era going slow at Ohio, now 6-13 spread skid since 2019.
- Prior to downturn, NW 9-1-2 in last 12 vs. line
Tech Edge: Northwestern based on team trends.
GEORGIA at VANDERBILT (SECN, 12:00 p.m.)
- UGA covered and won last three vs. Vanderbilt by combined 116-33 score.
- Vandy on 3-10 spread skid in Nashville.
Tech Edge: Georgia based on team trends.
MISSOURI at BOSTON COLLEGE (ESPN2, 12:00 p.m.)
- Mizzou now 0-3 vs. line in 2020 in a spread slump extending to last month of 2020, 0-6 vs. line
- Eagles 18-7-1 as dog since 2017
Tech Edge: Boston College based on team trends.
LSU at MISSISSIPPI STATE (ESPN, 12:00 p.m.)
- LSU only 4-3 SU last seven meetings, MSST covering five of those.
- Leach jsut 10-19 last 29 on board with Wazzu and MSST after tough loss at Memphis last week.
Tech Edge: Mississippi State based on series trends.
NOTRE DAME at WISCONSIN (FOX, 12:00 p.m.)
- No meeting since 1964.
- Irish 5-2 as dog against spread.
- Wisconsin only 13-16 last 29 vs. spread.
Tech Edge: Notre Dame based on team trends
BOISE STATE at UTAH STATE (CBS, 12:00 p.m.)
- Series trends all Boise lately, covering last four and winning last five meetings.
- Boise 35-19 last 54 as road chalk.
- Utah State is 3-0 SU and vs. line this season
Tech Edge: Boise State based on series trends.
MIAMI-OHIO at ARMY (CBSSN, 12:00 p.m.)
- RedHawks got number at Minnesota but just 2-11 last 13 vs. spread outside MAC.
- Miami covered at Army in 2018
- Monken 7-3 last 10 as chalk.
Tech Edge: Army based on team trends.
BOWLING GREEN at MINNESOTA (ESPNU, 12:00 p.m.)
- BG has covered its first two of 2021, though within 25 in just one of last 11 SU losses.
- Fleck now 15-8-2 last 25 vs. line.
Tech Edge: Minnesota based on extended trends.
UMASS at COASTAL CAROLINA (ESPN+, 1:00 p.m.)
- UMass only one win since 2019 and two losses by fewer than 21 points.
- Chants 9-4-1 vs line since 2020 but only two covers last six.
Tech Edge: Coastal Carolina based on team trends.
TEXAS STATE at EASTERN MICHIGAN (ESPN+, 2:00 p.m.)
- Prior to last week, Bobcats were 11-2 spread uptick, who is 10-4 last 14 as dog.
- Eagles vs. spread away from home 25-5 last 30 prior to Wisconsin loss, but 2-7 at home in last nine.
- EMU 1-6 last seven as chalk and 0-3 ATS in 2021.
Tech Edge: Texas State based on team trends.
TOLEDO at BALL STATE (ESPN+, 2:00 p.m.)
- Cards won and covered last two vs. Toledo.
- Ball State 0-3 vs. line after winning and covering last five in 2020.
- Cards covered eight straight as dog before Penn State and Wyoming losses.
- Toledo no covers over last four at Glass Bowl.
Tech Edge: Ball State based on extended trends.
SAN JOSE STATE at WESTERN MICHIGAN (ESPN+, 2:00 p.m.)
- Spartans 15-7-1 last 23 on board since late 2018.
- Spartans 7-4 last 11 as road team.
- WMU failed to cover last six vs. FBS-foes before upset over Pitt.
Tech Edge: San Jose State based on team trends.
WASHINGTON STATE at UTAH (Pac-12, 2:30 p.m.)
- Rolovich failed to cover last six for Wazzu since win and cover in openner vs Oregon State LY.
- Utes rolled Cougs last two season, Whittingham 6-2 vs. spread last 8 as Pac-12 host
Tech Edge: Utah based on team and series trends.
WYOMING at UCONN (CBSSN, 3:30 p.m.)
- UConn 0-4 SU and 1-3 vs. line LY, now 8-20 spread skid.
- UConn 3-30 SU last 33.
- Bohl 2-3 last five as road chalk.
Tech Edge: Wyoming based on negative UConn trends.
IOWA STATE at BAYLOR (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- Cyclones 5-4 vs. spread on Big 12 road since 2019
- Matt Campbell failed to cover last three vs. Baylor.
- Bears 0-3 vs. line as Big 12 host for Aranda LY.
Tech Edge: Iowa State based on team trends
RUTGERS at MICHIGAN (ABC, 3:30 p.m.)
- Schiano 3-0 SU and vs. line so far this season, now 8-4 vs. spread since returning.
- Rutgers 5-0 vs. line on road under Schiano II.
- Michigan won and covered first three this season, just 1-7 vs. spread entering this term.
Tech Edge: Rutgers based on recent trends.
KENT STATE at MARYLAND (BTN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Kent 10-5 spread run for Sean Lewis since mid-2019, 5-3 as dog in span.
Tech Edge: Kent State based on team trends.
COLORADO STATE at IOWA (FS1, 3:30 p.m.)
- Rams just 2-5 SU and vs. spread since LY.
- Iowa 9-4 vs. line last 13 at home and also 10-1 last 11 vs. line against non-Big 10 schools.
Tech Edge: Iowa based on team trends.
ILLINOIS at PURDUE (BTN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Illini covered last two vs. Purdue, but now 2-5 spread run since late last season.
- Purdue dropped last five vs. line in 2020 but covered last four and seven of eight in 2019.
Tech Edge: Purdue based on team trends.
CLEMSON at N.C. STATE (ESPN, 4:15 p.m.)
- Dabo won and covered last two vs. NC State.
- Tigers also 8-2-1 last 11 as ACC road, no covers though last three vs. FBS-foes
- Wolfpack 5-1 as dog in 2020
Tech Edge: Clemson based on series and extended trends.
LOUISVILLE at FSU (ESPN2, 3:30 p.m.)
- Home team covered last three and five of last six in series.
- Noles covered 1-5 vs. spread in last six as home chalk, 10-21 over last 31 on board (6-10 for Norvell)
Tech Edge: Louisville based on recent trends.
TEXAS A&M vs. ARKANSAS (CBS, 3:30 p.m.)
- Fisher yet to cover vs. Arkansas (0-3).
- Sam Pittman now 10-3 vs. spread with Arkansas, 8-3 as dog
Tech Edge: Arkansas based on team and recent trends.
KANSAS at DUKE (ACCN, 4:00 p.m.)
- Leipold 0-2-1 vs. line with KU but was 30-14-2 overall vs. line and 8-3-1 as dog last four seasons with Buffalo.
- Cutcliffe only 7-13-2 vs. number last 22 on board, though off nice win vs. Northwestern.
Tech Edge: Kansas based on Leipold and team trends.
GEORGIA STATE at AUBURN (SECN, 4:00 p.m.)
- GSU entered 2021 on 12-7 spread uptick but 0-2 to start 2021 vs. spread.
- Bryan Harsin is 7-1 last eight as home chalk between Boise and Auburn.
Tech Edge: Auburn based on team trends.
ARKANSAS STATE at TULSA (ESPN+, 5:00 p.m.)
- Jones covered first two with Red Wolves, and was 4-1 last five as road dog before running into Wazzu.
- Tulsa 7-2 vs. line LY, now 9-3 last 12 on board after cover in Columbus, though just 0-3 SU in 2021.
Tech Edge: Tulsa based on team trends.
LOUISIANA at GEORGIA SOUTHERN (ESPN+, 6:00 p.m.)
- Bobcats now 6-11 last 17 on board, 4-9 last 13 as chalk.
- GSU covered four of last five as dog in 2020 but 0-3 to start 2021.
Tech Edge: Georgia Southern based on team trends.
BUFFALO at OLD DOMINION (ESPN+, 6:00 p.m.)
- Ricky Rahne on board with SU win for ODU though were 1-5 SU and 0-6 ATS in 2019 at home.
Tech Edge: Buffalo based on negative ODU trends.
UCLA at STANFORD (Pac-12, 6:00 p.m.)
- UCLA 11-game SU losing streal in series they broke in 2019 but lost again in double-OT last year to Stanford.
- Cardinal 11-2 vs. spread last 13 meetings, Shaw also 5-1 as home dog
Tech Edge: Stanford based on series trends.
NAVY at HOUSTON (ESPNU, 7:00 p.m.)
- Mids have no covers in last four, no SU wins last seven.
- Road team has covered last three in series.
- Holgorsen 4-5 as chalk with Houston.
Tech Edge: Houston based on negative Navy trends.
KANSAS STATE at OKLAHOMA STATE (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- Kleiman 11-4 vs. speread as dog afte Nevada win.
- Home team has covered last three, but no covers for OKST in last four at home.
Tech Edge: Kansas State based on team trends.
WEST VIRGINIA at OKLAHOMA (ABC, 7:30 p.m.)
- Brown 6-7 as dog with WVU, dodn't face OU in 2020.
- Sooners 8-3 last 11 as chalk, 3-3 laying double-digits, and 0-2 vs. line against FBS-foes this season.
- Last six in series have gone OVER.
Tech Edge: OVER and Oklahoma based on team and total trends.
AKRON at OHIO STATE (BTN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Zips outscored 105-34 prior to meeting vs. Bryant, and dropped 1-19 SU since 2019.
- Akron 3-17 vs. spread prior to Bryant meeting.
- Buckeyes 2-6-1 last nine on board since early 2020.
Tech Edge: Ohio State based on negative Akron trends.
NEBRASKA at MICHIGAN STATE (FS1, 7:00 p.m.)
- Frost 10-14 vs. spread since 2019, 5-7 vs. spread on road.
- Michigan State 1-4 vs. line at home, 2-12 vs. spread last 14 as host back to late D'Antonio era.
Tech Edge: Nebraska based on team trends.
UNC at GEORGIA TECH (ACCN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Brown 4-7 vs. line as ACC road team, but won last year vs. Georgia Tech.
- Tech 5-12 vs. line in Atlanta.
Tech Edge: UNC based on team trends.
NORTH TEXAS at LOUISIANA TECH (7:00 p.m.)
- Mean Green now 6-22 vs. line last 28 vs. FBS-level teams.
- Holtz won and covered last three in this series, Bulldogs 7-3 vs. spread in last 10 at home
Tech Edge: Louisiana Tech based on team and series trends.
KENTUCKY at SOUTH CAROLINA (ESPN2, 7:00 p.m.)
- Last three years this has been a hoome series with host winning and covering each.
- UK covered 7 of last 8 meetings.
- Carolina 3-0 vs. line this year, 1-5 last 6 as home dog
Tech Edge: Kentucky based on team and extended series trends.
TENNESSEE at FLORIDA (ESPN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Gators won last four vs. Vols, covering in three.
- Vols on 6-16 spread skid prior to Tenn Tech meeting.
- Tennessee 3-8 vs. spread since LY before Tenn Tech meeting.
Tech Edge: Florida based on team and series trends.
SOUTHERN MISS at ALABAMA (SECN, 7:30 p.m.)
- USM 4-10 vs. spread last 14 vs. FBS-foes.
- Saban just 5-11-1 vs. line last 17 as non-conference host.
Tech Edge: Alabama based on team trends.
INDIANA at WESTERN KENTUCKY (CBSSN, 8:00 p.m.)
- Hoosiers 9-3 vs. line last 12 since late 2019, 4-2 last six vs. spread against non-Big 10.
- IU 6-1 vs. spread on road.
- WKY 8-5 last 13 as dog for Tyson Helton
Tech Edge: Indiana based on team trends.
TROY at UL-MONROE (ESPN+, 8:00 p.m.)
- Warhawks now 3-8-1 vs. line since LY, 7-18-1 last 26 on board.
Tech Edge: Troy based on negative UL-Monroe trends.
UAB at TULANE (ESPN+, 8:00 p.m.)
- UAB spread just 8-11 last 19 on board.
- Fritz on a 17-9 spread run with Tulane, 10-1 vs. spread at home since 2019.
Tech Edge: Tulane based on team trends.
FAU at AIR FORCE (FS2, 8:00 p.m.)
- FAU no covers last four in 2020, but 2-0 this year.
- Air Force 10-6 vs. spread last 16 vs. FBS-level foes, 5-3 vs. spread last eight vs. FBS level foes at home.
Tech Edge: Air Force based on team trends.
HAWAII at NEW MEXICO STATE (8:00 p.m.)
- Graham 0-3 vs. line to start season, now failed to cover last four on mainland in regular season.
- NMST 10-17 vs. spread since win in 2017 Arizona Bowl.
Tech Edge: New Mexico State based on recent trends.
NEW MEXICO at UTEP (CBSSN, 10:30 p.m.)
- Lobos 4-2 as dog but 0-3 as chalk, and 0-5 as chalk since 2019.
Tech Edge: UTEP based on negative New Mexico trends.
CALIFORNIA at WASHINGTON (Pac-12, 9:30 p.m.)
- Cal beat Petersen's Washington team in 2018 and 2019 as double-digit dog.
- Cal 19-7 as dog for Wilcox, while Lake 2-5 vs. line with Huskies (2-4 as home chalk).
Tech Edge: Cal based on recent series and team trends.
COLORADO at ARIZONA STATE (ESPNU, 10:30 p.m.)
- Buffs covered just one of last five on board, but still 3-1 vs. line as regular season dog.
- Buffs won and covered last two vs. Ariz. State.
- Herm just 1-5 vs. line last six at Tempe.
Tech Edge: Colorado based on team and recent series trends.
OREGON STATE at USC (ESPNU, 10:30 p.m.)
- Beavs haven't won in L.A. Coliseum since 1960.
- Smith 12-5 as dog since early 2019 and OSU has covered last seven as conference road.
- USC 1-3 vs. spread last four at home.
Tech Edge: Oregon State based on team trends.
ARIZONA at OREGON (ESPN, 10:30 p.m.)
- Arizona SU losgin streak at 15 in row, 1-6 vs. line in last seven, 3-12 last 15.
- Ducks only 3-5 vs. line last eight as home favorite, failed to cover vs. Stony Brook last week.
Tech Edge: Oregon based on negative Arizona trends.