Tech Trends – Week 6
Don't miss out on expert College Football selections from Bruce Marshall this season on VegasInsider.com. Click to win!
Week of the College Football season kicks off on Thursday, October 7 and concludes on Saturday, October 9.
We've identified betting trends and angles for key matchups between FBS squads.
We also have "Tech Edge" leans on the side or total for each game too.
Straight Up (SU), Against the Spread (ATS), Over-Under (O/U)
Thursday, Oct. 7
COASTAL CAROLINA at ARKANSAS STATE (ESPNU, 7:30 p.m.)
- Chants on 13-5-1 spread run since late 2019 and have won and covered past two years vs. Red Wolves.
- ASU 4-3-1 last eight as dog (1-2-1 in role for Butch Jones) but has dropped last four SU and vs. line in 2021.
Tech Edge: Coastal, based on team trends.
HOUSTON at TULANE (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Home team has won last five series meetings and covered the last four of those.
- Willie Fritz 11-2 vs. spread last 13 as host for Wave.
Tech Edge: Tulane, based on series and team trends.
Friday, Oct. 8
CHARLOTTE at FIU (CBSSN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Panthers no cover last five at home, 7-16 last 23 overall vs. spread after the latest Shula Bowl blowout loss vs. FAU.
- FIU also on 8-2 “over” run.
Tech Edge: Slight to Charlotte and “over,” based on team and “totals” trends.
TEMPLE at CINCINNATI (ESPN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Even after Memphis upset, Owls on 4-9 spread skid since late 2019, 2-4 last six getting points away from Linc.
- Fickell 5-2 vs. spread last seven vs. FBS foes at Nippert Stadium.
Tech Edge: Cincy, based on team trends.
STANFORD at ARIZONA STATE (ESPN, 10:30 p.m.)
- Though a surprise winner last week vs. Oregon, David Shaw just 5-8 last 13 as dog after 13-5-1 mark in role prior.
- Tree, however, has covered last five as visitor (K-State game neutral earlier this year), and 12-4-1 "over" last 17 away from Palo Alto.
- Herm Edwards just 1-7 last 8 as Tempe chalk.
Tech Edge: Stanford, based on team trends.
Saturday, Oct. 9
OKLAHOMA vs. TEXAS (in Dallas) (ABC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Tight series lately, OU did cover last season but needed 4 OTs, after Longhorns had covered previous seven regular-season tilts at Cotton Bowl (Sooners won and covered narrowly in 2018 Big 12 title game at Arlington).
- OU 0-4 vs. line against FBS foes this season.
- Sarkisian 4-1 vs. line to begin 2021.
Tech Edge: Texas, based on series trends.
AKRON at BOWLING GREEN (ESPN+, 12:00 p.m.)
- Arth scored his first-ever win with Zips when rolling a strike past Bowling Green 31-3 LY!
- But Zips still just 4-19 vs. line on Arth’s watch since 2019.
- Shocking Falcons have covered five in a row to begin 2021 after 15-39 spread run entering the season (post-Babers)!
Tech Edge: Bowling Green, based on recent trends.
WEST VIRGINIA at BAYLOR (FS1, 12:00 p.m.)
- Mounties have covered last 3 in series.
- WVU had dropped 5 of 6 vs. spread away until Sept. 25 cover at Oklahoma, also now 4-1 "under" in 2021.
- Bears was 4-0 SU in 2021 before taking loss at Ok State last week.
Tech Edge: Slight to WVU and "under," based on series and "totals" trends.
MICHIGAN STATE at RUTGERS (BTN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Spartans 1-3 as chalk for Mel Tucker (all at home; first W in role last week vs. WKU).
- MSU 4-9 last 13 as reg season chalk dating to Dantonio days and late 2019.
- Schiano beat MSU on road in his return to ‘Gers and in opener last season, now 9-5 vs. spread since his Scarlet Knights resurface.
- Scarlet Knight also 6-4 as dog even after Ohio State loss.
Tech Edge: Rutgers, based on team trends.
MARYLAND at OHIO STATE (FOX, 12:00 p.m.)
- Terps 4-3 last seven as dog, though only 2-6 last eight vs. spread on Big Ten road.
- Buckeyes just 4-6-1 vs. spread last eleven on board but have rolled up big wins and covers past two weeks vs. Akron and Rutgers, scoring 50+ vs. each.
Tech Edge: Slight to OSU, based on recent trends.
GEORGIA TECH at DUKE (RSN, 12:30 p.m.)
- Yellow Jackets were on three straight wins and covers in a row before Pitt loss.
- GT also routed Duke LY, though keep in mind Geoff Collins 0-4 as chalk.
- Cutcliffe had also won and covered three straight this season before UNC loss.
- Blue Devils 3-6 last nine as dog.
Tech Edge: Slight to Duke, based on team trends.
SOUTH CAROLINA at TENNESSEE (ESPN2, 12:00 p.m.)
- Shane Beamer 4-1 vs. line this season in debut at SC.
- Meanwhile, Heupel on 7-18 spread skid since early 2019 with UCF and UT, though Vols impressive in last week's win at Mizzou.
Tech Edge: Slight to SC, based on recent trends.
ARKANSAS at MISSISSIPPI (ESPN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Even after Georgia loss, Sam Pittman 11-4 vs. line and 9-4 as dog since taking over Razorbacks.
- Hogs have covered 7 of last 8 in series including rousing 33-21 upset last October 17.
- Kiffin has covered last 3 and 4 of last 5 at Vaught-Hemingway.
Tech Edge: Arkansas, based on team and series trends.
VANDERBILT at FLORIDA (SECN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Dores no cover vs. UConn last week, now 8-18 spread skid since 2019 (1-4 for Clark Lea) and have failed to cover as big dog the last two trips to Gainesville (lost 56-0 in 2019).
- Dan Mullen 6-4-1 vs. spread last eleven SEC games though just 3-5-1 last nine laying DDs.
Tech Edge: Florida, based on recent Vandy woes.
NORTHERN ILLINOIS at TOLEDO (CBSSN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Huskies 5-2 last seven as road dog.
- Rockets 1-5 last six vs. points as Glass Bowl chalk.
- Road team has won and covered past two meetings.
Tech Edge: NIU, based on team trends.
OLD DOMINION at MARSHALL (Facebook, 2:00 p.m.)
- Old is 1-2-1 vs. line this season after skipping all of 2020, also "over" last three.
- Note Herd is “over” 4-1 in 2021 though just 3-6 last 9 as chalk (1-2 for Huff).
Tech Edge: “Over,” based on recent “totals” trends.
VIRGINIA at LOUISVILLE (ACCN, 3:00 p.m.)
- Home side has won and covered last four meetings in series and host is 6-1 SU since ‘Ville moved to ACC.
- Bronco Mendenhall 7-4 last 11 as dog.
- Cards have covered five of last seven as ACC host.
Tech Edge: Slight to ‘Ville, based on series home trends.
SMU at NAVY (CBSSN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Mustangs have covered 3 of last 4 in series, though Sonny Dykes only 1-4 last five as visiting chalk.
- Mids only 6-8 last 13 on board and 3-6 last 9 in once-profitable dog role for Niumatalolo, though Navy could be stirring with covers past two weeks and first outright win of 2021 last Saturday (vs. UCF).
Tech Edge: Slight to SMU, based on recent trends.
SAN JOSE STATE at COLORADO STATE (FS1, 3:30 p.m.)
- Spartans wobbling, no covers last four this season and 1-5 last six vs. spread after 14-4-1 spread mark previous for Brent Brennan.
- CSU heading opposite direction with two very good efforts and spread Ws (both on road), though Addazio was 1-5 vs. spread previous with Rams.
Tech Edge: CSU, based on recent trends.
BOISE STATE at BYU (ABC, 3:30 p.m.)
- Cougs have won last two years and covered last three years in series.
- Sitake 16-1 SU, 11-5 vs. line since LY.
- Broncos 6-2 as dog since 2017 (1-0 for Avalos).
Tech Edge: Slight to BYU, based on recent trends.
CENTRAL MICHIGAN at OHIO (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- McElwain no covers last three in 2021 but still 16-9 vs. spread since taking over Chips in 2019. Also 5-1 vs. points as MAC visitor.
- Bobcats really slow out of gate for Tim Albin, 0-4 SU and vs. line before gifted Akron last week, though spread slowdown actually started during end of Solich era (Ohio now 7-14 vs. number since 2019).
Tech Edge: CMU, based on team trends.
BALL STATE at WESTERN MICHIGAN (ESPNU, 3:30 p.m.)
- Cards have covered last three in what lately has been an exciting series (last three decided by 8 points combined).
- Ball State might also be replicating its streaky nature of last season, finally breaking through with arousing win and cover last week vs. Army after dropping first four vs. spread (Ball similarly picked up pace after a slow start vs. spread in truncated 2020 slate).
- Cards also “under” seven of last eight since late 2020.
- Broncos “under” 5-2 last seven and 4-0 SU, 3-0-1 vs. line last four in 2021.
Tech Edge: "Under," based on "totals" trends.
MIAMI-OHIO at EASTERN MICHIGAN (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- RedHawks 3-3 last six vs. line as MAC visitor, and 8-4 last 12 as dog.
- Eagles only 3-7 vs. spread last 10 at Ypsilanti, almost complete reverse of road spread mark.
- EMU also 2-7 last nine as chalk roughly corresponding.
Tech Edge: Miami-Ohio, based on team trends.
UCONN at UMASS (NESN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Huskies won last meeting 56-35 in 2019 (also last UConn SU win), and actually covered last three after dropping 20 of previous 27 on board following narrow miss at SU win vs. Vandy.
- Minutemen have covered 4 of last 8 vs. number, though haven’t been favored since Sept. 7, 2019 in a 45-20 loss to Salukis of SIU.
Tech Edge: Slight to UConn, based on recent trends.
WISCONSIN at ILLINOIS (BTN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Home team has covered last five meetings, including Wiscy’s 45-7 romp in 2020 opener and Illini’s 24-23 stunner at Champaign-Urbana in 2019.
- Badgers just 4-7 vs. number last 11 on Big Ten road.
- Bielema 3-0 as Big Ten dog this season.
Tech Edge: Illinois, based on series and team trends.
WAKE FOREST at SYRACUSE (ESPN2, 3:30 p.m.)
- Deacs now 5-0 SU in 2021 and on 8-3-1 spread uptick vs. FBS foes, though didn't quite get number last week vs. 'Ville.
- Babers 10-6 vs. line since last season despite just 4-12 SU that span.
Tech Edge: Slight to Wake, based on team trends.
FLORIDA STATE at NORTH CAROLINA (ABC, 3:30 p.m.)
- Noles fianlly have a SU win in 2021 after escape vs. the 'Cuse, but on 6-16 spread skid (4-10 for Norvell).
- FSU also just 3-6 last nine as dog but one of those wins was a shocker over Mack Brown last year.
- Heels 6-2 vs. line last 8 as Chapel Hill chalk.
Tech Edge: North Carolina, based on team trends.
MIDDLE TENNESSEE at LIBERTY (ESPN3, 3:30 p.m.)
- Stockstill broke thru with win over Marshall last week after losing and failing to cover previous three in 2021 (each of last four as dog).
- MTSU no covers last three away after 4-1 vs. line last five away in 2020.
- Hugh Freeze has covered 12 of last 13 for Flames after win over UAB.
Tech Edge: Liberty, based on team trends.
FAU at UAB (Stadium, 3:30 p.m.)
- Taggart just 1-4 vs. spread last five away for Owls.
- Blazers suffered a setback vs. Liberty last week after starting the season 3-1 SU and vs. spread.
- UAB was only 3-6 vs. line a year ago.
Tech Edge: Slight to UAB, based on team trends.
GEORGIA at AUBURN (CBS, 3:30 p.m.)
- In "Deep South's Oldest Rivalry," Kirby Smart won and covered the last four meetings with his Bulldogs, all of those vs. Gus Malzahn.
- Georgia also 4-1 vs. line this season.
Tech Edge: Georgia, based on series trends.
OREGON STATE at WASHINGTON STATE (Pac-12, 4:00 p.m.)
- Beavers lost this game in opener last season but visiting team has covered last three in series, and OSU has covered last eight on Pac-12 trail.
- Rolovich finally got covers last two weeks for Cougs after six straight spread Ls prior.
Tech Edge: OSU, based on team and series road trends.
PENN STATE at IOWA (FOX, 4:00 p.m.)
- After Indiana romp, James Franklin has won 9 in a row SU since mid 2020, 8-1 vs. line in those.
- In Penn State-Iowa series, road team 2-0-1 vs. points last three meetings.
- Nittany Lions 7-4 last 11 as dog for Franklin as well.
- Hawkeyes on 10-4 spread uptick, 5-2 last seven vs. spread at Iowa City.
Tech Edge: Slight to Penn State, based on team trends..
NORTH TEXAS at MISSOURI (SECN, 4:00 p.m.)
- Something has to give here. Mean Green slight improve lately vs. line, now just 6-8 vs. spread since LY, but only 9-23 vs. points since mid 2018.
- Meanwhile host Tigers currently on 8-game spread skid after Drinkwitz covered 5 of first 7 out of chute in 2020.
Tech Edge: Slight to North Texas, based on recent Mizzou spread woes.
EAST CAROLINA at UCF (ESPN+, 6:00 p.m.)
- Pirates have covered last two years in series, and have actually covered 6 of last 7 as visiting dog.
- ECU also has a pair of SU wins as an outright dog this season (vs. Marshall and Tulane).
- Knights on 7-17 spread skid since early 2019 split between Heupel (mostly) and Malzahn (1-3).
Tech Edge: ECU, based on team trends.
WYOMING at AIR FORCE (CBSSN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Bohl had kind of owned the Force for five years after taking over Wyo (4-1 SU, 5-0 vs. line) before Falcs won 20-6 in 2019.
- Bohl however now 0-6-1 vs. line last seven as visitor.
- Calhoun 6-3 vs. spread last nine at Colorado Springs.
Tech Edge: Air Force, based on recent trends.
SOUTH ALABAMA at TEXAS STATE (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- Kane Wommack has opened 3-1 SU with Jags, and USA has covered last three vs. Bobcats.
- After covering 6 of 7 games, Texas State has now dropped two in a row SU and vs. line.
Tech Edge: Slight to USA, based on team trends.
GEORGIA SOUTHERN at TROY (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- Eagles no covers last six as visitor.
- Trojans very so-so across the board with Chip Lindsey, such as 8-9 as chalk.
- Split past two years vs. GSU, home side winning and covering each.
- Troy on 13-4 “under” run dating to late 2019.
Tech Edge: “Under” and Troy, based on “totals” and team trends.
BUFFALO at KENT STATE (ESPNU, 7:00 p.m.)
- Home team has won and covered last three meetings.
- Linguist 2-3 vs. line with Buff after Leipold’s 30-14-2 vs. spread past four years.
- Bulls no covers last three away from home reg season (0-2 Linguist).
- Golden Flashes 5-3 vs. spread last eight at Dix Stadium but only 1-4 vs. line overall in 2021.
- KSU also "under" first five this season.
Tech Edge: "Under" and slight to Kent State, based on "totals" and series trends.
TCU at TEXAS TECH (ESPN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Frogs have covered 4 of last 5 on road (this is first away game of 2021!) and beaten Red Raiders the past two seasons (1-1 vs. line).
- Matt Wells 3-5 vs. spread last eight at Big 12 host in Lubbock.
Tech Edge: Slight to TCU, based on team trends.
MICHIGAN at NEBRASKA (ABC, 7:30 p.m.)
- Harbaugh off to 5-0 SU and 4-1 vs. spread breaks from gate in 2021 after entering season dropping 7 of previous 8 vs. line.
- Scott Frost has covered five in a row since Illini loss and now covers last five as an underdog.
Tech Edge: Slight to Nebraska, based on recent trends.
NOTRE DAME at VIRGINIA TECH (ACCN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Irish have covered 6 of last 8 laying points away from South Bend.
- Though ND just 8-9 overall vs. spread since 2020.
- Hokies just 6-11 last 17 overall vs. spread, Fuente also just 4-4 vs. number last 8 at Blacksburg.
Tech Edge: Slight to ND, based on team trends.
UTSA at WESTERN KENTUCKY (Stadium, 7:00 p.m.)
- UTSA now 5-0 SU and 4-1 vs. line in 2021, though spread L came last week vs. UNLV.
- Also 16-7 last 23 on board since mid 2019, and Roadrunners "under" 4 in a row.
- WKU had opened season with three straight covers before Mich State loss, and Tops now "over" 4-0 this season.
Tech Edge: Slight to UTSA, based on team trends.
UTEP at SOUTHERN MISS (ESPN3, 7:00 p.m.)
- Miners 5-2 last seven as dog.
- Golden Eagles 5-9 vs. spread since LY, no covers last four as chalk vs. FBS opposition.
Tech Edge: UTEP, based on team trends.
LSU at KENTUCKY (SECN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Coach O has now covered four straight as SEC visitor and 6 of last 9 overall vs, BCS foes (even after Auburn loss).
- Mark Stoops 7-3-1 vs. spread last eleven SEC games, and 5-1 last six as SEC home dog, though the Cats opened a slight favorite for this game.
Tech Edge: Slight to UK, based on team trends.
UTAH at USC (FOX, 8:00 p.m.)
- Though dynamite lately on Pac-12 road (where they have won last 8 SU), not so much for Trojans at Coliseum, where they have no covers last three or four of last five vs. Pac-12 foes.
- Utes no covers last three in 2021 but have covered five straight on Pac-12 trail.
- Whittingham 0-5 SU vs. Trojans at Coliseum since Utes joined Pac-12.
Tech Edge: Liberty based on team trends.
GEORGIA STATE at UL-MONROE (ESPN3, 8:00 p.m.)
- Panthers have won big last three in series though failed to cover hefty spread LY.
- GSU has also covered last three on Sun Belt road.
Tech Edge: GSU, based on series and team trends.
ALABAMA at TEXAS A&M (CBS, 8:00 p.m.)
- Saban again vs. a former disciple, he is 24-0 SU vs. those sorts after win vs. Ole Miss/Kiffin last week.
- Saban 3-0 SU and 2-1 vs. line with Jimbo at A&M since 2018.
- Bama 8-5 vs. spread last 13 as SEC visitor.
- Jimbo 3-3 last six as dog.
- All three meetings since Jimbo arrived at A&M have been “over” as well.
Tech Edge: Bama and “over,” based on team and series “totals” trends.
MEMPHIS at TULSA (ESPN2, 9:00 p.m.)
- Tigers no covers in seven tries as visitor (0-6-1) for Ryan Silverfield since he took the reins from Mike Norvell.
- Golden Hurricane 10-5 vs. spread since late 2019
- In 2021, TU has failed to cover first thee at home (while managing to cover first two on road!).
Tech Edge: Northwestern based on team trends.
NEW MEXICO at SAN DIEGO STATE (FS1, 9:00 p.m.)
- Rocky Long faces old employer Aztecs! But Lobos off to slow 0-5 break vs. spread this season.
- Aztecs have covered last three in their 4-0 SU start, and 5-1 last six vs. spread since late 2020.
- Brady Hoke 5-2 vs. spread at Carson since LY.
Tech Edge: SDSU, based on recent trends.
NEW MEXICO STATE at NEVADA (CBSSN, 10:30 p.m.)
- Ags actually began season a decent 4-2 vs. line, including 3-0 on road, and respectable 9-9 vs. spread since 2019.
- Wolf Pack, however, has covered its last five in Reno for Jay Norvell.
Tech Edge: Nevada, based on team trends.
UCLA at ARIZONA (ESPN, 10:30 p.m.)
- Chip Kelly has covered last three on road and last two years vs. Cats as well.
- UA 1-8 vs. spread last nine at Tucson, 6-15 last 21 on board vs. points (2-2 for Jedd Fisch, a former UCLA assistant in Mora years, and briefly Bruins interim HC in 2017).
Tech Edge: UCLA, based on team trends.
- COLLEGE-FOOTBALL NOV 29, 2023
College Football Odds Week 14: Spreads, Lines, Trends for Every Top 25 Game
- COLLEGE-FOOTBALL NOV 28, 2023
2023 C-USA Football Championship Odds
- COLLEGE-FOOTBALL NOV 26, 2023
2023 Pac-12 Football Championship Odds
- COLLEGE-FOOTBALL NOV 26, 2023
2023 Big 12 Football Championship Odds
- COLLEGE-FOOTBALL NOV 26, 2023
2023 SEC Football Championship Odds
- COLLEGE-FOOTBALL NOV 26, 2023
2023 Big Ten Football Championship Odds