Last Updated Sep 23, 2022, 7:06 PM
Week 4 College Football Tech Trends
US Sports Betting Industry Expert
American football betting expert and handicapper Bruce Marshall breaks down the top trends for each college football game of Week 4. Check them out below and be sure sure to visit our college football picks page for expert selections on games this week!
Thursday, Sept. 22
Coastal Carolina at Georgia State (ESPN2, 7:30 p.m.)
- Road team has won and covered last three meetings and is 4-0-1 vs. spread last five clashes.
- GSU won 42-40 at Conway LY after losing 51-0 in ATL previous season.
- Chants 8-3 vs. spread last 11 on Belt road.
- GSU 4-1 vs. points last five as Belt host also “under” last four and on 7-2 “under” run since mid 2021.
Tech Play: Coastal Carolina, Under
West Virginia at Virginia Tech (ESPN2, 7:30 p.m.)
- Mounties won and covered close 27-21 decision at home last season.
- WVU just 2-7 vs. spread last nine away from Morgantown.
- Hokies however just 1-6 vs. spread last seven vs. non-ACC foes (0-2 under Brent Pry) after non-cover vs. big dog Wofford last week.
Tech Play: Virginia Tech
Friday, Sept. 23
Virginia at Syracuse (ESPN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Cavs “under” 12-4 last 16.
- Dino 9-2 vs. spread last eleven at Carrier Dome.
- Also “under” 5-2 last seven as host. Tech edge-“Under” and Cuse, based on “totals” and team trends.
Tech Play: Syracuse, Under
Nevada at Air Force (FS1, 8:00 p.m.)
- Even after last week's 27-0 loss at Iowa, Pack 6-2 vs. line last seven as visitor (1-1 for Wilson).
- Falcs on 12-6 spread uptick sine late 2020, and 6-2 last eight vs. points as MW host.
Tech Play: Air Force
Boise State at UTEP (CBSSN, 9:00 p.m.)
- Broncos romped in this matchup 54-13 LY on blue carpet.
- Avalos was 5-1 vs. spread away in 2021 but only 0-1-1 in role to start 2022.
- Miners 0-4 vs. line to begin 2022.
Tech Play: Boise State
Saturday, Sept. 24
TCU at SMU (ESPNU, 12:00 p.m.)
- Metroplex war and Sonny Dykes has switched sides to TCU this season.
- When Dykes at SMU, he won and covered last two against Frogs for the Iron Skillet as a dog both times.
- His new TCU has started quick at 2-0.
- Fast starts have been synonymous with Dykes whose teams are 14-3 vs. line in first five games of season since 2019.
- SMU 1-w vs. line for Lashlee, and Ponies just 2-6 vs. points since midway in 2021.
Tech Play: TCU
Maryland at Michigan (FOX, 12:00 p.m.)
- Harbaugh has brutalized Terps, winning and covering all six meetings, each by 21 or more, since taking over Wolverines in 2015.
- After UConn romp, Harbaugh 8-2 vs. spread last ten in Ann Arbor.
- Locksley 3-9 vs. spread last 12 on Big Ten road.
Tech Play: Michigan
Central Michigan at Penn State (BTN, 12:00 p.m.)
- McElwain has covered four straight away from Mt. Pleasant.
- James Franklin 7-3 vs. spread last 10 at Happy Valley.
- Franklin also covered last five hosting MAC foes at Beaver Stadium.
Tech Play: Penn State
Bowling Green at Mississippi State (SECN, 12:00 p.m.)
- After brief spread surge at start of 2021, Falcs now just 4-6 last ten vs. number, though off improbable upset of Marshall last week.
- BGSU was 14-31 vs. line last 45 entering the 2021 season before recovering to 8-4 vs. line a year ago.
- Meanwhile even after LSU loss last week, Leach on 7-3 spread uptick for MSU since mid 2021, and has covered last four laying double digits.
Tech Play: Mississippi State
Missouri at Auburn (ESPN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Teams haven’t met since 2017 when it was Barry Odom vs. Gus Malzahn (51-14 Auburn).
- Mizzou 1-6 vs. spread last seven as reg season visitor since late 2020.
- Auburn however 1-7 vs. line last eight since late 2021 .
- Auburn also “under” 9-6 for Harsin since LY.
Tech Play: Missouri, Under
Buffalo at Eastern Michigan (CBSSN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Teams haven’t met since 2019 when Bulls rolled at Ypsilanti, 43-14.
- If calling last week's loss at Coastal Carolina a spread push, Maurice Linguist however just 4-9 vs. spread with UB since 2021
- Linguist just 1-6-1 vs. spread in MAC action last season.
- Eagles have cooled a bit vs. number for Creighton, just 6-10 vs. points since 2021, but off of a rousing road win over Arizona State.
Tech Play: Eastern Michigan
Kent State at Georgia (ESPN+, 12:00 p.m.)
- Golden Flashes 1-6 vs. spread last seven as non-MAC visitor.
- Kent State not ducking anybody (already Wash, Okla & now Ga!) in a suicidal resolve.
- Kirby Smart took it easy on Samford but still 12-6 vs. spread since last season after rout of Gamecocks.
- UGA covered all four vs. non-SEC FBS foes since last season (a couple of spread Ls vs. Charleston Southern & Samford).
Tech Play: Georgia
Duke at Kansas (FS1, 12:00 p.m.)
- Hardwood clash! Blue Devils won and covered big 52-33 LY at Durham.
- Both have started 3-0 SU and vs. line this season, Jayhawks 6-0 vs. spread since late 2021 for Leipold.
- KU not favored vs. FBS foe since 2020 opener vs. Coastal Carolina (Chants won and covered 38-23).
- KU also on 17-6 “over” run.
Tech Play: Kansas, Over
Clemson at Wake Forest (ABC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Dabo has covered 3 of last 4 in series and Tigers have covered last four away from Death Valley.
- After Liberty squeaker, Deacs 5-3-1 vs. spread last nine September games, though Clawson just 1-4 last five as dog.
Tech Play: Clemson
Baylor at Iowa State (ESPN2, 12:00 p.m.)
- Bears have covered last four in series though home team has won outright in all of those clashes.
- Aranda on 10-4 spread uptick in Big 12 games.
- Cyclones on 18-11 “under” stretch though flew "over" last week vs. Ohio U.
Tech Play: Baylor, Under
USF at Louisville (ESPN3, 12:00 p.m.)
- Bulls have now managed to cover eight games since 2020 that they have lost outright under Jeff Scott.
- Scott is now 3-21 SU as coach at USF, though things might be on the improve.
- Cards just 3-5 vs. line as host past two years after FSU loss.
Tech Play: Louisville
UCLA at Colorado (P12N, 2:00 p.m.)
- Home team has covered last four and won SU last seven in series, but Chip 6-1 vs. spread last seven as visitor.
- Karl Dorrell 3-14 SU last 17 and 6-11 vs. spread since late 2020.
Tech Play: UCLA
UMass at Temple (ESPN+, 2:00 p.m.)
- Uggghhh! Minutemen has already lost and failed to cover vs. a pair of “T” teams (Tulane & Toledo).
- UMass was on 1-7 spread skid before getting win and cover vs. Stony Brook last week.
- Owls were on 8-game spread skid against FBS foes prior to spread cover vs. Rutgers last week.
Tech Play: UMass
FIU at Western Kentucky (CBBSN, 3:30 p.m.)
- MacIntyre no covers first two for Golden Panthers, FIU now on 7-game spread skid since mid 2021.
- Last cover in fact was Oct 23 when slipping inside of hefty price vs. Tops.
- After cover at Indiana, WKU 8-2 vs. line last ten since mid 2021.
- Tops also 7-1 last eight laying DDs (though the lone L vs. FIU LY).
Tech Play: Western Kentucky
Middle Tennessee at Miami-Florida (ACCN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Cristobal teams at Oregon and Miami have covered 4 of their last 5 as chalk.
- Canes on 6-4 spread run since mid 2021, 3-2 last five laying double digits.
Tech Play: Miami-Florida
North Texas at Memphis (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- Mean Green had six straight covers as visitor before getting bounced at UNLV last week.
- Note Tigers are 6-4 vs. spread last ten at Liberty Bowl (narrow non-cover vs. Ark State last week).
Tech Play: North Texas
Minnesota at Michigan State (BTN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Teams haven’t faced since 2017.
- Fleck has now covered six straight and 10 of last 12 dating to early 2021.
- Mel Tucker, however, 6-1 vs. spread last seven at East Lansing.
- Tucker also (even with last week's loss at U-Dub) 11-5 vs. points overall since last season.
- Also remember just 2-5 vs. spread in shortened 2020 campaign.
Tech Play: Minnesota
Toledo at San Diego State (FS1, 3:30 p.m.)
- Even after Ohio State shamelessly ran up 77 points last week, the Rockets are still 7-3 vs. spread last ten in reg season away from Glass Bowl.
- Aztecs no covers first three this season and now no covers five of last six as host.
Tech Play: Toledo
Texas at Texas Tech (ESPN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Home team has covered last three in series, though Red Raiders haven’t beaten Horns outright since 2017.
- After UTSA win, Sarkisian has now covered last four since late 2021 after debilitating 6-game SU and spread slump last season.
- Tech 1-3-1 vs. spread last five at Lubbock (0-1 for McGuire).
- Last four w-a-a-y-y “over” in series.
Tech Play: Texas Tech, Over
James Madison at Appalachian State (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- Dukes off quick with big wins and covers first two as FBS/Sun Belt member.
- Mounties just 3-5 vs. spread last seven at Boone after last week vs. Troy.
Tech Play: James Madison
Indiana at Cincinnati (ESPN2, 3:30 p.m.)
- Bearcats won and covered in Bloomington 38-24 LY.
- Bearcats however just 4-7 vs. spread last eleven on board, but are 5-1 vs. spread last six at Nippert vs. FBS-level foes.
- Hoosiers were 1-8 as underdog for Tom Allen LY.
Tech Play: Cincinnati
Notre Dame at UNC (ABC, 3:30 p.m.)
- Irish have covered their last five games as visitor.
- ND has won and covered last two years vs. Heels.
- UNC on 12-6 “over” run.
Tech Play: Notre Dame, Over
Florida at Tennessee (CBS, 3:30 p.m.)
- Home team has covered last three in series though Vols haven’t beaten Gators outright since 2016.
- Florida has failed to cover its last seven away from Gainesville (though 0-0 for Napier).
- UT “over” 8-1 last nine since mid 2021.
Tech Play: Tennessee
Oregon at Washington State (FOX, 4:00 p.m.)
- Ducks got the last two vs. Cougars, but series had slanted hard to WSU previous.
- Cougs had covered previous ten meetings (Leach covered all eight tries vs. UO while at Wazzu).
- Cougars 6-2 as dog since last season, Oregon just 5-8 vs. line last 13 away from Eugene.
- Last three also “over” in series.
Tech Play: Washington State, Over
Georgia Tech at UCF (ESPNU, 4:00 p.m.)
- Jackets 1-10 vs. spread last eleven on board after getting blitzed by Ole Miss in Atlanta last week.
- But Gus Malzahn only 4-5 vs. spread as host for Knights, 7-9 vs. spread overall, and even after last week's win over FAU.
- Malzahn teams only 8-12 vs. spread skid dating to 2020 and Auburn.
Tech Play: UCF
Tulsa at Ole Miss (SECN, 4:00 p.m.)
- Golden Hurricane covered last five down stretch in 2021 and covered last four as visiting dog in process.
- Lane Kiffin 7-4 as home chalk since taking over Rebs in 2000.
- Also 6-1 vs. spread in reg season vs. non-SEC foes after last week's Georgia Tech romp.
Tech Play: Ole Miss
Arizona at California (P12N, 5:30 p.m.)
- Cats’ only SU win last season came vs. Golden Bears.
- Arizona has also covered five times in games it lost outright since beginning of last season.
- Arizona owns a surprising 6-game SU win streak over Cal that dates to 2010.
- Wilcox 3-10-1 last 14 as Berkeley chalk.
Tech Play: Arizona
Ball State at Georgia Southern (ESPN+, 6:00 p.m.)
- Cards no covers in seven of previous eight before the win and cover against the FCS Racers.
- Helton has broken 2-0 SU and vs. line with GSU after Nebraska upset.
- Eagles were actually on 5-game cover streak since late last season before last Saturday's loss and no cover to UAB.
Tech Play: Georgia Southern
Arkansas State at Old Dominion (ESPN+, 6:00 p.m.)
- Red Wolves were “under” 8-0 last eight vs. FBS -level foes prior to last week's high-scoring loss at Memphis.
- Note Monarchs were 3-0 in rare chalk role a year ago.
- ODU also “under” 10-6 since last season.
Tech Play: Under
Navy at ECU (ESPN+, 6:00 p.m.)
- Mids have covered each of last three seasons vs. Pirates, and Navy series cover streak now 5 back to 2016.
- Mids no covers first two in 2022, but remember same thing happened out of gate a year ago and Navy roared back to cover 8 of last 10 games.
- After Campbell romp, ECU has covered first three from gate in 2022 and has nine covers in last eleven stretching back to earlier 2021.
Tech Play: Navy
Rice at Houston (ESPN+, 6:00 p.m.)
- Bayou Bucket!
- Don’t face every year but Cougs have won and covered last six meetings dating to 2011.
- Owls 3-8 as dog since start of 2021 (1-1 TY) but off rousing win over ULL.
- Rice also “over” 12-3 since last season.
Tech Play: Houston, Over
Akron at Liberty (ESPN+, 6:00 p.m.)
- Joe Moorhead 0-3 vs. line with Zips, now 4-12 vs. spread back to 2019 and his previous job at Mississippi State.
- Akron 8-25 vs. line since 2019, most of damage done under Tom Arth.
- Hugh Freeze 9-2 vs. spread last 11 at Lynchburg.
Tech Play: Liberty
UNLV at Utah State (CBSSN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Rebs 3-0 vs. line this season and now 9-3 vs. spread last 12 on board including a cover vs. Utags last season at Allegiant Stadium.
- Rebs have covered 6 of last 8 away for Marcus Arroyo.
- USU off very slow 1-2 SU and 90-3 vs. line this season after stellar 11-2 SU, 10-4 spread marks in 2021.
Tech Play: UNLV
Marshall at Troy (NFLN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Herd was working on four straight covers as visitor until getting dumped at bowling Green last week.
- Herd “under” 6-3 last nine.
- Trojans just 1-5 vs. line last six at home.
Tech Play: Marshall, Under
Iowa at Rutgers (FS1, 7:00 p.m.)
- Hawkeyes 6-2 vs. line last eight at Big Ten visitor.
- Even with non-cover at Temple, Schiano II at Rutgers is 6-1 vs. spread in September.
- Scarlet Knights have dropped last six vs. spread as Big Ten host.
- These two also "under" all five vs. FBS opposition between them this season (not counting Rutgers vs. FCS Wagner).
Tech Play: Iowa, Under
Louisiana Tech at South Alabama (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- Dog away from Ruston was a good role (20-8-1 last 29) for La Tech in recent years under Skip Holtz.
- Cumbie lost opener at Mizzou getting points away before getting the cover last week at Clemson.
- Jags are 6-1 vs. line in Mobile for Kane Wommack (5-0 vs. FBS foes).
Tech Play: South Alabama
Northern Illinois at Kentucky (ESPN2, 7:00 p.m.)
- Huskies 5-2 vs. line last seven away from DeKalb.
- Stoops has covered last six as non-SEC host vs. FBS foes (not counting last week's non-cover vs. Youngstown).
- UK on 10-4 spread uptick since LY.
Tech Play: Kentucky
Southern Miss at Tulane (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- Golden Eagles 6-0 vs. number last six since late 2021.
- That was on heels of seven consecutive SU and spread defeats.
- But Willie Fritz and Tulane have now covered 5 straight since late 2022 after last week's stunner at K-State.
- USM 9-5 “under” since 2021 for Will Hall.
Tech Play: Under
Arkansas at Texas A&M (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- Hogs got Ags 20-10 at Jerry Jones Stadium LY, and Arkansas has covered last four in series.
- Sam Pittman 10-1 vs. spread in first four games of season with Razorbacks since 2020.
Tech Play: Arkansas
New Mexico at LSU (ESPN+, 7:30 p.m.)
- Lobos were 1-5 vs. line away in 2021, part of 1-11 spread debacle, but have started 1-0-1 vs. spread in 2022.
- Lobos also “under” 13-6 last 19 since mid 2020.
- LSU covered big price vs. Southern for Brian Kelly but 0-2 laying 20 or more for Orgeron last season.
Tech Play: Under
FAU at Purdue (BTN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Boilermakers have covered last three as Ross-Ade chalk vs. non-Big Ten opposition.
- Brohm also “over” 3-0 last four since late 2021.
- Taggart no covers last three as visitor.
Tech Play: Purdue, Over
UConn at NC State (ESPN3, 7:30 p.m.)
- Mora covered first 2 out of chute this season, but has been destroyed the past two weeks.
- After Texas Tech win last week, Wolfpack 12-3 vs. spread as host since 2020, 6-3 laying DDs.
Tech Play: NC State
Wisconsin at Ohio State (ABC, 7:30 p.m.)
- Last meeting 2019 Big Ten title game won by OSU 34-21 but a Wiscy cover.
- Badgers rarely a dog lately, not since 2019, though Chryst 9-5 vs. points in role since 2015.
- Even after Toledo blowout, Buckeyes only 12-15 vs. spread last 27 on board, and 5-7 vs. spread last eleven at Big Horseshoe.
Tech Play: Wisconsin
Vanderbilt at Alabama (SECN, 7:30 p.m.)
- No Dores SU wins in series since 1984.
- Clark Lea did cover last three as SEC visitor last season and is 5-1 vs. spread on road with Dores.
- Saban 11-2 vs. spread last 13 at Tuscaloosa vs. FBS-level foes.
- Vandy “over” 4-0 last four since late 2021.
Tech Play: Alabama, Over
Charlotte at South Carolina (ESPNU, 7:30 p.m.)
- Slow start this season for 49ers, 0-3 SU and vs. spread out of gate, not closer than 17 in process.
- Charlotte did recover to shock host Georgia State in Atlanta last week.
- That broke a stretch of six SU and spread losses in a row since LY.
- Shane Beamer 3-1 as chalk since LY.
Tech Play: South Carolina
Miami-Ohio at Northwestern (BTN, 7:30 p.m.)
- RedHawks 2-9 vs. spread last eleven reg season non-MAC games.
- Cats only 1-4 last five as Evanston chalk and 4-11 vs. spread overall since 2021 after shock loss to the SIU Salukis last week.
- NU also “under” six straight at Dyche Stadium/Ryan Field.
Tech Play: Northwestern, Under
Louisiana at UL-Monroe (ESPN+, 8:00 p.m.)
- Road team has covered last seven and is 11-0-1 vs. spread last 12 in this intra-state Belt rivalry!
- Warhawks also 6-0 “under” last six since late 2021.
Tech Play: Louisiana, Under
Kansas State at Oklahoma (FOX, 8:00 p.m.)
- Klieman gave OU fits in 2019 & ‘20 scoring upset wins, and covered again last season, which makes five covers in a row for Cats in series.
- K-State 12-8 as dog for Kleiman.
- Venables 1-1 as Norman chalk TY after Riley 4-3 vs. spread as host last season.
Tech Play: Kansas State
Boston College at FSU (ACCN, 8:00 p.m.)
- Noles have won and covered last three in series but didn’t meet in 2020.
- Eagles have started slow 0-3 SU and vs. spread, not even able to get there vs. FCS Maine last week, and BC also on 7-13 spread slide.
- FSU 3-0 SU for Norvell this season after ’Ville win, Noles have covered 7 of last 9 vs. FBS foes since mid 2021.
Tech Play: FSU
Hawaii at New Mexico State (8:00 p.m.)
- These teams played a home-and-home last season! Rainbows won both SU but failed to cover game at Honolulu.
- UH was 2-5 vs. spread on mainland last season.
- Ags 2-4 vs. spread last six at Las Cruces.
- NMSU “under” 3-1 in 2021 (the "over" came last week courtesy 66 points from Wisconsin!).
Tech Play: Under
USC at Oregon State (P12N, 9:30 p.m.)
- Beavers once went 33 years (1967-2000) between wins over SC.
- OSU beat Trojans in Coliseum last September for first time since 1960.
- OSU 16-6 as dog since early in 2019 campaign.
- After last Saturday's win over Fresno State, Lincoln Riley has started 3-0 SU and vs. line at SC.
- Remember Trojans were 4-9 vs. spread last 13 entering 2022 (pre-Riley).
Tech Play: Oregon State
Wyoming at BYU (ESPN2, 10:15 p.m.)
- Last meeting in 2016 Poinsettia Bowl won by BYU, 24-21, though Wyo covered as 10-point dog.
- Bohl has now covered four of last five as dog after Air Force upset, Wyo 14-7 last 21 as dog after Air Force win.
- Sitake 5-3-1 vs. points last nine at Provo.
Tech Play: Wyoming
Western Michigan at San Jose State (CBSSN, 10:30 p.m.)
- Broncos won and covered 23-3 over Spartans at Waldo Stadium LY.
- Though WMU only 4-4-1 vs. spread since LY away from Kalamazoo.
- SJSU 0-3 last three vs. line at home and just 6-8 vs. points since start of 2021.
- Spartans also “under” 4-1 last five since late 2021.
Tech Play: Under
Stanford at Washington (FS1, 10:30 p.m.)
- Underdog side has covered last five series meetings.
- Stanford however on 9-game spread skid.
- Huskies 3-0 SU and vs. line for Kalen DeBoer after 2-7 spread mark previous nine in Seattle.
Tech Play: Washington
Utah at Arizona State (ESPN, 10:30 p.m.)
- Utes have won and covered last two meetings, note Whittingham now “over” last eight games away from Salt Lake City.
- Also 10-4 vs. spread last 14 Pac-12 games.
- Debut for interim Sergio Aguano at ASU after Herm Edwards' departure on Sunday.
Tech Play: Utah, Over