Last Updated Sep 14, 2022, 8:16 AM
Week 2 College Football Tech Trends
US Sports Betting Industry Expert
American football betting expert and handicapper Bruce Marshall breaks down the top trends for each college football game of Week 2. Check them out below and be sure sure to visit our college football picks page for expert selections on games this week!
Friday, Sept. 9
Louisville at UCF (ESPN2, 7:30 p.m.)
- Satterfield had covered five straight vs. non-ACC with Cards prior to last season.
- Note, dating to Josh Heupel days, UCF was just 11-22 vs. spread last 33 entering 2022 before Gus Malzahn's opening win and narrow cover (as big chalk) vs. SC State last week.
Tech Play: Louisville
Boise State at New Mexico (CBSSN, 9:00 p.m.)
- Bob Davie often gave Boise fits while at UNM, covering five of six at one point.
- Broncos have won and covered handily last three meetings.
- Before last Saturday's loss at Oregon State, Boise was 5-1 last six vs. spread on road in 2021, and another "under" vs. the Beavers puts the Broncos that way 12-2 since late in the 2020 campaign.
- Lobos looking to recover and romped pasty Maine in opener and dropping previous seven and eleven of last 12 vs. line at Albuquerque.
- Lobos also “under” 10-3 since in 2021. Tech edge-"Under" and slight to Boise State, based on "totals" and team trends.
Tech Play: Under, Boise State
Saturday, Sept. 10
South Carolina at Arkansas (ESPN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Shane Beamer pretty much down the middle last season in SC debut, including 3-3 vs. line as dog.
- Sam Pittman at Arkansas has covered his first four games out of the chute each of the past two seasons (covered six straight to begin 2020)
- Arkansas 9-0 in the first month of the season vs. the line after last week's win over Cincy.
- That result also advances Pittman's spread mark to 16-7 with the Razorbacks since he took over in 2020.
Tech Play: Arkansas
Wake Forest at Vanderbilt (SECN, 12:00 p.m.)
- After opening win over VMI, Deacs have now covered their last five as chalk.
- Dores 2-5 vs. line at home in Clark Lea debut LY, and failed to handle double-digit impost vs. Elon last week.
- Vandy thus 5-14 vs. spread at home since 2019 (Derek Mason & Lea). Tech edge-Wake Forest, based on team trends.
Tech Play: Wake Forest
Arkansas State at Ohio State (BTN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Butch Jones not terrible vs. spread LY (5-6) and was 3-3 vs. number getting double digits.
- Red Wolves also “under” 9-3 in 2021.
- Ryan Day only 11-13 vs. line last 24 entering this season, just 2-5 vs. line last seven vs. non-Big Ten foes.
- Buckeyes 1-2 last three laying 30 or more under Day. Tech edge-“Under,” based on Ark State “totals” trends.
Tech Play: Under
UNC at Georgia State (ESPNU, 12:00 p.m.)
- Mack Brown now 1-7 vs. spread last eight away from Chapel Hill after the inexplicable shootout at App State last Saturday.
- Heels also “over” 12-5 last 17 after that score-fest in the mountains.
- Mack ran up 59-17 score on GSU at Kenan Stadium last September.
- Panthers enter this season on 13-4 spread uptick for Elliott, also 7-4 last 11 as dog entering 2022. Tech edge-Georgia State and slight to “over,” based on team and “totals” trends.
Tech Play: Georgia State, Over
Ohio at Penn State (ABC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Bobcats sagged post-Solich last season, failed to cover all four non-MAC games, but might have turned things around in opening win and mild upset of FAU for HC Tim Albin last Saturday in Athens.
- Bobcats entered 2022 on 11-18 spread skid.
- Meanwhile, James Franklin enters 2022 with 6-2 spread mark last eight laying double-digits. Tech edge-Penn State, based on team trends.
Tech Play: Penn State
UTSA at Army (CBSSN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Roadrunners entered 2022 on 11-5 spread uptick.
- UTSA covered 5 of last 6 as visitor.
- West Point just 1-4 vs. spread last five vs. BCS foes at Michie Stadium. Tech edge-slight to UTSA, based on recent trends.
Tech Play: UTSA
Duke at Northwestern (FS1, 12:00 p.m.)
- Recurring series has seen Blue Devils win and cover last three.
- Pat Fitz 1-3 as chalk in 2021 after 5-1 mark in role previous season, lots of back-and-forth with Cats spread marks in recent years.
- Duke dropped last six vs. spread in 2021 for Cutcliffe for switch to Elko, who proceeded to romp in opener vs. Temple last week.
Tech Play: Northwestern
Southern Miss at Miami-Florida (ACCN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Turbulent couple of years for Golden Eagles, entered 2022 on 8-17 spread skid (4-8 for Will Hall LY).
- Also USM no covers last eight outside of league entering 2022 before close loss and cover vs. Liberty in opener.
- Canes closed last season covering five of seven before coaching switch.
- Note that Cristobal had dropped nine straight as chalk while at Oregon prior to covering last three as favorite in 2021, and the opener last week.
Tech Play: Miami-Florida
Missouri at Kansas State (ESPN2, 12:00 p.m.)
- Old Big 8/Big 12 rivals haven’t met since 2011.
- Mizzou got win and cover in opener, upping spread mark to 5-12 last 17 on board.
- But Drinkwitz just 3-5 last eight as dog.
- Klieman entered this season 22-13 vs. spread with Wildcats.
Tech Play: Kansas State
Alabama at Texas (FOX, 12:00 p.m.)
- Saban now 8-2 vs. spread last ten vs. non-SEC after Utah State romp in opener.
- Tide was just 1-3 vs. spread as visitor last season.
- Note Sarkisian endured a six-game spread skid at one point last season with Texas, and was 0-4 as dog as Horns reversed the previous and positive “Tom Herman as a dog” trend (12-7 from 2017-20).
Tech Play: Alabama
South Alabama at Central Michigan (ESPN+, 1:00 p.m.)
- Tough go on road for Jags last year in Kane Wommack debut, 0-6 vs. spread away from home.
- USA was 5-1 vs. spread as host in 2021, 5-0 vs. FBS foes.
- After cover at Ok State in opener, Chips now 23-11 vs. line under McElwain.
- Also 11-4 vs. spread since 2019 at Mt Pleasant.
Tech Play: Central Michigan
Western Michigan at Ball State (ESPN+, 2:00 p.m.)
- No SU wins 3 of last 4, and no covers in those last four meetings for Broncos against Cards.
- Ball a slow starter, however, no covers in first three games each of last two years and failed to cover 2022 opener at Tennessee.
- Cards did enter 2021 on 12-3 “under” run before “over” vs. Vols.
Tech Play: Under
Marshall at Notre Dame (NBC, 2:30 p.m.)
- Herd entered 2002 with 7-1 spread mark last eight as visitor.
- Irish did cover 5 of 7 at home in 2021, though ND only 7-6 vs. points last 13 at South Bend.
Tech Play: Marshall
Maryland at Charlotte (Stadium, 3:30 p.m.)
- Slow start for 49ers, lose and fail to cover big in first two of 2022.
- That’s no covers last five and seven of last eight since late 2021.
- Meanwhile Mike Locksley's Terps covered all four non-Big Ten games in 2021.
- Terps 6-1 vs. spread in those battles entering this season before a late Buffalo FG.
Tech Play: Maryland
Tennessee at Pittsburgh (ABC, 3:30 p.m.)
- Panthers won shootout at Knoxville 41-34 LY Jay Norvell debut at CSU.
- Vols just 1-5 as dog last season for Heupel, but also “over” 11-2 last 13 since early 2021.
- Panthers entered this season on 13-5 spread surge.
Tech Play: Pittsburgh, Over
Colorado at Air Force (CBS, 3:30 p.m.)
- After quick start in 2020, Dorrell and CU just 6-9 vs. spread last 15 on board following last Friday's TCU loss.
- Buffs 1-4 vs. spread last five vs. non-Pac 12 opposition.
- Troy Calhoun 9-4 vs. spread last 13 as host after romp past UNI.
- Falcs also 14-8 “under” since late 2019.
Tech Play: Air Force, Under
Washington State at Wisconsin (FOX, 3:30 p.m.)
- Cougs closed last season 8-1 vs. line last 9 reg season.
- Cougs 4-1 reg season vs. spread under Dickert, but failed to cover last Saturday's opener vs. nearby Idaho.
- WSU covered 5 of last 6 as dog in 2021.
- Badgers 5-8 vs. number last 13 at Camp Randall after narrow cover vs. Illinois State last week.
Tech Play: Washington State
Memphis at Navy (CBSSN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Tigers dropping the visitor spread mark to 0-9-1 for Silverfield.
- Home team has covered last five in series.
- Memphis “under” 13-8 for Silverfield past two seasons, Mids on 11-5 "under" run after opener vs. U-Dee.
Tech Play: Navy, Under
Appalachian State at Texas A&M (ESPN2, 3:30 p.m.)
- App recovered from poor 2021 vs. spread, 4-2 vs. line as visitor, 2-1 as dog in 2021, before rallying for a cover last week vs. UNC.
- Meanwhile, Jimbo was 5-1 vs. spread at Kyle Field vs. non-SEC foes entering 2022.
- Jimbo 6-1 vs. line at College Station last season, before falling just short of covering as 5-TD chalk vs. Sam Houston in last week's opener.
Tech Play: Texas A&M
Akron at Michigan State (BTN, 4:00 p.m.)
- Zips were 0-4 vs. line on road in non-MAC games 2019-21 under Arth, one of reasons that prompted coaching change to Moorhead.
- Also 8-22 overall vs. spread past three seasons.
- Spartans big recovery to 9-4 vs. line last season after struggling in Tucker debut previously.
- MSU still just 3-8 as home chalk since 2019 (if calling WMU game a push).
- MSU was 5-1 “over” at East Lansing LY prior to “under” vs. WMU.
Tech Play: Michigan State
Middle Tennessee at Colorado State (4:00 p.m.)
- Rams closed last season cold, dropping last six SU and vs. spread, prompting coaching switch, spread skid now at 7 after Mich loss.
- Stockstill covered 3 of last 4 as dog a year ago as MTSU covered 5 of last 7 in 2021.
Tech Play: Middle Tennessee
Iowa State at Iowa (BTN, 4:00 p.m.)
- Cy-Hawk Trophy has been mostly Iowa lately, Hawkeyes have won last six SU in series, last loss in 2014.
- Matt Campbell yet to beat Ferentz in five tries, only one Cyclones cover in that six-game series SU losing streak (Iowa 4-1-1 vs. line).
- Campbell just 1-5 last six as dog after success in role previously.
- Ferentz had covered six straight as non-Big Ten host but has now dropped last two vs. line in role after SDSU result last week.
- Iowa “under” 22-12-1 “under” after last week, and last three Cy-Hawk games “under” as well.
Tech Play: Iowa, Under
Virginia at Illinois (ESPNU, 4:00 p.m.)
- Revenge for Illini after getting drilled 42-14 at Charlottesville LY.
- Cavs “under” 4-8 in 2021. Bielema was Illini stirring, had covered four in a row prior to last week vs. Indiana.
- Ill also “under” 12-3 last 15 if counting Wyo “under” in opener.
Tech Play: Illinois, Under
Houston at Texas Tech (FS1, 4:00 p.m.)
- Red Raiders gave Cougs their only reg season loss LY in opener.
- Cougs 4-2 vs. spread as reg season visitor LY, also “over” 7-1 as visitor since 2021 (counts AAC title game at Cincy).
- Tech now 11-6 vs. line at Lubbock since 2019 after the Joey McGuire era opened with a 63-10 blowout of Murray State last week.
Tech Play: Over
UNLV at California (Pac-12, 4:00 p.m.)
- Under Tony Sanchez, this was a great role as visiting non-conf dog for Rebels, who covered 9 of 10 2015-19, and 2-0 last year to make it 11-1 since 2015 in role.
- Against Power 5 foes as road dog, UNLV has covered seven straight.
- Rebs have also covered 5 of last 7 as road dog for Arroyo. Golden Bears 3-7 as Berkeley chalk since 2019 after cover vs. UC Davis last week.
Tech Play: UNLV
Kansas at West Virginia (ESPN+, 6:00 p.m.)
- Jayhawks stirring a bit with four straight covers since late last season following opener vs. Tenn Tech.
- Mounties only one cover last four vs. KU (2-1-1 vs. line).
- Remember, Leipold was 8-3-1 as dog his last four years at Buffalo (thru 2020).
Tech Play: Kansas
UAB at Liberty (ESPN+, 6:00 p.m.)
- New HC Vincent for Blazers.
- Revenge for UAB after getting flattened at home by Flames LY.
- Blazers were 7-1 vs. spread away from home (counts bowl) last season.
- Hugh Freeze covered only 1 of last 6 in reg season a year ago after covering 12 of previous 13 in reg season.
Tech Play: UAB
Old Dominion at ECU (ESPN+, 6:00 p.m.)
- Both nearly had upset wins last week, though only Monarchs closed the deal.
- ODU has now won and covered last six reg season games and has covered last four as dog in reg season action.
- ODU “under” 9-5 since last season.
- Pirates 8-4 vs. spread since last season (2-1 as home chalk) and “under” 6-2 last eight.
Tech Play: Under
Northern Illinois at Tulsa (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- If getting points here, note Huskies 7-4 as dog last season.
- Golden Hurricane entered 2022 on 16-7 spread uptick and “over” 9-5 previous 14 games.
Tech Play: Over, Tulsa
UMass at Toledo (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- Minutemen entered 2022 on 8-19-1 spread skid previous three seasons, pre-Don Brown II.
- UMass just 1-5 vs. spread as visitor last season.
- Rockets however just 2-6 vs. spread last eight at Glass Bowl., and 6-7 last 13 overall as chalk entering 2022.
Tech Play: Toledo
FIU at Texas State (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- MacIntyre gets SU win (barely) over Bryant in opener, Golden Panthers spread skid now at six.
- Pre-MacIntyre, FIU 1-6 vs. spread last seven on road, and now just 4-14 vs. spread since 2020 after opener.
- Entering 2022, Bobcats just 2-3 in rare chalk role since Spavital arrived in 2019.
Tech Play: Texas State
Kentucky at Florida (ESPN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Stoops entered this season on 18-11 spread uptick (despite 4-6 in Covid 2020) before getting past the spread in the opener vs. Miami-Ohio
- Note that last year's 20-13 UK win at Lexington was only the Cats' second in this SEC rivalry since 1976 (the other coming in 2018), and beat Gators for a second time a year ago.
- UF sagged to 3-10 vs. spread last season and entered 2022 on 4-14-1 spread skid prior to exciting win over Utah in Napier debut.
Tech Play: Kentucky
Eastern Michigan at Louisiana (NFLN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Though just 1-2 in role last season, road dog has been great for Eagles under Chris Creighton, 21-2 getting points away from Ypsilanti (bowls included) from early 2016 thru 2020.
- ULL just 5-6 vs. spread at Cajun Field 2020-21.
- Ragin’ Cajuns “under” 18-7 entering 2022.
Tech Play: Eastern Michigan, Under
Kent State at Oklahoma (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- Entering 2022, Golden Flashes no covers in four tries vs. non-MAC FBS foes last season (now 0-5 after loss at Seattle last week.).
- KSU also now 1-9 vs. spread last ten away from Dix Stadium after opening loss at Washington.
- Prior to this season and Venables, Sooners were just 2-3-1 vs. line last six reg season vs. FBS non-Big 12 foes since 2019 under Riley.
- OU was also on a 14-9 “over” run into 2022 before landing right on the posted 58 in the opener vs. UTEP.
Tech Play: Oklahoma, Over
Syracuse at UConn (CBBSN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Another old Big East matchup. First meeting since 2012.
- Jim Mora now 2-0 vs. line with UConn after pair of covers to open 2022, so inclined to dismiss most of Huskies’ poor marks in recent seasons.
- Babers did go 8-4 vs. spread in 2021 but ‘Cuse only chalk twice (2-0) since 2019.
Tech Play: UConn
Georgia Southern at Nebraska (FS1, 7:30 p.m.)
- After non-cover vs. N Dakota, Scott Frost 0-2 vs. line in 2022, 2-6 vs. spread last eight since mid 2021.
- Frost now no covers last five as chalk.
- Eagles did cover six of last nine a year ago pre-Helton.
Tech Play: Georgia Southern
Arizona State at Oklahoma State (ESPN2, 7:30 p.m.)
- Herm Edwards just 1-4 vs. spread on road LY, and Herm just 2-5 vs. spread last seven vs. spread reg season vs. non-Pac.
- Gundy let CMU in back door of opener but entered this season 25-12 vs. spread previous three years.
Tech Play: Oklahoma State
San Jose State at Auburn (ESPNU, 7:30 p.m.)
- Note Brent Brennan’s Spartans covered in both 2019 & 2020 (SU win in latter MW title game) against Broncos in Bryan Harsin’s last two years at Boise.
- SJSU was 10-2 in last 12 as dog prior to last season when slipping a bit to 2-4 in role.
- Auburn just 1-3 its last four as chalk a season ago.
Tech Play: San Jose State
USC at Stanford (ABC, 7:30 p.m.)
- David Shaw is 6-2 SU and vs. spread last eight vs. Trojans, including stunner last season at Coliseum.
- Tree, however, lost and failed to cover last eight.
Tech Play: Stanford
Boston College at Virginia Tech (ACCN, 8:00 p.m.)
- Both of upset losses in opening week.
- Home team has won and covered last three meetings though Eagles have covered four of last five in series.
- Hokies were 1-4 vs. spread last five in Blacksburg LY pre-Pry, now also 3-9 last 12 vs. line after ODU loss.
- VPI “under” 11-5 last 16 as well after opener.
Tech Play: Boston College, Under
Hawaii at Michigan (BTN, 8:00 p.m.)
- Bows just 2-5 vs. line on mainland last season.
- Hawaii 2-7 vs. spread last nine on reg-season road, all pre-Chang.
- Harbaugh now 13-3 vs. spread last sixteen on board since late 2020 after romp past CSU.
Tech Play: Michigan
New Mexico State at UTEP (ESPN+, 9:00 p.m.)
- Jerry Kill off to slow start at NMSU, 0-2 SU and vs. line, though Miners also 0-2 SU and vs. spread.
- Miners did cover four of last five at Sun Bowl LY.
Tech Play: UTEP
Baylor at BYU (ESPN, 10:15 p.m.)
- Bears 11-4 vs. line since last season and 6-1 as dog for Aranda, including win over BYU in Waco.
- Cougs dropped six of last eight vs. spread in 2021 but did begin 2022 with a thumping win at South Florida.
Tech Play: Baylor
Oregon State at Fresno State (CBSSN, 10:30 p.m.)
- Beavers just 1-6 vs. spread away from Corvallis last season (only win and cover was at USC).
- Note Tedford however just 3-9-1 vs. spread with Bulldogs since 2019, though Dawgs were 8-5 vs. spread for DeBoer last season.
Tech Play: Fresno State
Mississippi State at Arizona (FS1, 11:00 p.m.)
- Note Leach covered his last four as visitor a year ago.
- MSU entered 2022 just 1-4 vs. spread against FBS foes outside of conference since Leach arrived in 2020.
- Bulldogs did win big and as host vs. Memphis in last week's opener.
- After opening win over SDSU, Cats now on 5-2 spread uptick since mid 2021 for Jedd Fisch.
- UA now “over” four straight after opener as well.
Tech Play: Arizona, Over