Last Updated Oct 12, 2022, 11:07 AM
Week 6 College Football Tech Trends
US Sports Betting Industry Expert
American football betting expert and handicapper Bruce Marshall breaks down the top trends for each college football game of Week 6. Check them out below and be sure sure to visit our college football picks page for expert selections on games this week!
Friday, Oct. 7
Nebraska at Rutgers (FS1, 7:00 p.m.)
- Huskers 1-5 last six laying points after Indiana win.
- Huskers surprising 5-2 vs. spread last seven as Big Ten visitor (not counting Northwestern at Dublin).
- Schiano no covers last seven and just 1-9 last ten vs. spread as Big Ten host.
Tech Play: Nebraska
Houston at Memphis (ESPN2, 7:30 p.m.)
- Tigers had won five SU and covered six in a row vs. Cougs prior to UH 31-13 win LY at TDECU Stadium.
- Cougs 2-5 vs. line last seven since late 2021.
- Silverfield only 10-18 vs. line since taking over Memphis.
- Memphis on 5-1 “over” run since late 2021.
Tech Play: Memphis, Over
Colorado State at Nevada (FS1, 10:30 p.m.)
- Jay Norvell game.
- Throw out almost everything pre-2022 for both of these teams.
- Rams yet to win or cover a game 0-4 in 2022, spread skid now 0-10 since mid 2022.
- Pack 2-3 SU and vs. line this season.
- CSU 0-4 “under” in 2022.
Tech Play: Nevada, Under
UNLV at San Jose State (CBSSN, 11:00 p.m.)
- Spartans have won SU last two and 3 of last 4 in series.
- Rebs have started this season 4-1 vs. line, on 10-4 spread run since early 2021.
- Also 6-2 vs. spread last eight on road.
- SJSU “under” 4-1 last five five of seven since late 2021.
Tech Play: San Jose State, Under
Saturday, Oct. 8
Missouri at Florida (ESPNU, 12:00 p.m.)
- Teams have split the past two seasons, home team winning and covering each.
- Gators have failed to cover their last eight as chalk since mid 2021 (0-2 for Napier) prior to Sunday game.
- Tigers on 7-1 “under” run since late 2021.
Tech Play: Missouri, Under
Texas vs. Oklahoma (ABC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Horns last SU win vs. Sooners was 2018.
- Texas had covered seven straight in series, however, until past two years when OU won high-scoring games.
- OU humbled in back-to-back weeks by K-State and TCU and just 2-3 vs. spread for new HC Brent Venables.
- First time Texas favored in this matchup since 2009.
Tech Play: Texas
TCU at Kansas (FS1, 12:00 p.m.)
- Jayhawks covered this meeting last November, and KU on a tear with 8-0 spread mark since late 2021.
- Though Sonny Dykes has started 4-0 SU and vs. line with Frogs.
Tech Play: Kansas
Louisville at Virginia (ACCN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Mendenhall won and covered last two years vs. ‘Ville, though Tony Elliott off to 1-4 start vs. line with Hoos.
- Cavs also “under” first four in 2022 prior to what looks like a "totals push" last week vs. Duke.
- Cavs now “under” 12-4-1 since late 2020.
Tech Play: Louisville, Under
Tennessee at LSU (ESPN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Teams haven’t met since 2017.
- Vols have covered 3 of last 4 as visitor since mid 2021.
- Brian Kelly has won and covered last three of last four for for Tigers.
- UT also on 9-1 “over” run.
Tech Play: Over
Arkansas at Mississippi State (SECN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Pittman has beaten Leach each of the past two seasons (though a split vs. spread).
- Porkers getting points here and note 12-5-1 mark in role since Pittman arrived in 2020.
- Arkansas also 8-2-1 vs. line away from home under Pittman.
- Leach just 4-7 as SEC host vs. spread since arriving at Starkville in 2020.
Tech Play: Arkansas
Eastern Michigan at Western Michigan (CBSSN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Eagles have won last three and 5-0-1 vs. line last six vs. Broncos.
- EMU 18-5-1 vs. spread as MAC visitor since late 2015 (much of that in dog role).
- WMU 1-5 vs. spread last six at Waldo Stadium since mid 2021.
Tech Play: Eastern Michigan
Buffalo at Bowling Green (ESPN+, 12:00 p.m.)
- Bulls had won four in a row straight-up in series in Leipold days until getting upset at home by Falcs in a 2021.
- Linguist a bit better 3-1-1 vs. line TY after 3-8 spread mark in Buff debut LY.
- If BGSU a dog note 9-4-1 spread mark in role since LY (though 4-4-1 last nine).
- Teams “over” a combined 8-2 in 2022, last three in series “over” as well.
Tech Play: Over
Purdue at Maryland (BTN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Brohm 8-3 vs. spread last eleven as Big Ten visitor after last week's upset win at Minnesota.
- Terps 3-8 vs. number last eleven as Big Ten host, though off to 4-1 break SU and vs. line this season.
Tech Play: Purdue
Michigan at Indiana (FOX, 12:00 p.m.)
- Teams have split the last two SU but Hoosiers have covered 5 of 7 vs. Harbaugh.
- Harbaugh however 9-3 vs. spread last 11 on Big Ten road.
- IU 3-15 last 18 vs. spread after another loss last weekend (this one at Nebraska).
- IU “over” 10-7 since LY but Wolverines on 5-0-1 “under” run.
Tech Play: Michigan
Georgia Southern at Georgia State (ESPN3, 2:00 p.m.)
- Panthers have won and covered last two meetings.
- State off slow 1-4 SU and 1-3-1 vs. line this season even after Army win last week.
- Clay Helton 4-1 vs. line in his Southern debut after close 34-30 loss but spread cover vs. Coastal Carolina.
Tech Play: Georgia Southern
Akron at Ohio (ESPN3, 2:00 p.m.)
- Bobcats have won handily past two meetings but just 1-1 vs. spread in those.
- Ohio only 7-10 vs. spread for Albin since LY but is off of a spread-covering effort in an OT loss to Kent State.
- Moorhead has covered two straight for the Zips to improve to 2-3 vs. line this season.
- Moorhead teams still 6-13 last 19 on board vs. spread dating to his days at Mississippi State.
- Zips also still just 10-25 vs. line since 2019 despite the back-to-back spread covers.
Tech Play: Ohio
USF at Cincinnati (ESPN+, 2:30 p.m.)
- Bulls have actually covered last seven in series, doing so as big DD dog each of the past four seasons.
- Though Bearcats on 4-0 spread run at Nippert.
- Fickell also “over” first four in 2022.
Tech Play: USF, Over
Texas Tech at Oklahoma State (FS1, 3:30 p.m.)
- Red Raiders had covered five straight in series prior to LY’s 23-0 loss in Lubbock.
- Gundy however 9-4-1 vs. line as Big 12 host since mid 2018.
- Cowboys “under” 20-12 since mid 2019.
Tech Play: Oklahoma State, Under
Wisconsin at Northwestern (BTN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Badgers romped 35-7 last season at Madison but Wildcats had covered the previous four meetings.
- Pat Fitz just 7-9 last 16 as dog, however.
- Wiscy only 2-6 last eight vs. spread since late 2021.
- HC Paul Chryst paid for it with his job after last week's loss to Illinois.
Tech Play: Northwestern
Virginia Tech at Pittsburgh (ACCN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Panthers have won and covered last two meetings and 7-1 vs. spread last eight against Hokies.
- Pry only 1-4 vs. line to start his VPI career after Fuente closed his Gobblers run with 9-17 spread mark.
- VPI “under” 5-0 thus far, now “under” 15-5 since late 2020.
Tech Play: Pittsburgh, Under
Liberty at UMass (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- Flames have won and covered last three in series by whopping 170-39 total score!
- Minutemen did cover last week at EMU but still just 3-9 vs. line last 12 vs. FBS-level foes.
- Hugh Freeze 3-3 last six laying 21 or more.
Tech Play: Liberty
ECU at Tulane (ESPNU, 3:30 p.m.)
- Green Wave now 4-1 SU and vs. line in 2022 after win at Houston.
- Pirates however on 10-3 spread run since early 2021.
Tech Play: ECU
Utah at UCLA (FOX, 3:30 p.m.)
- Utes have rolled Bruins in last five meetings (missed 2020), scoring at least 41 points in each of the wins.
- Utah on 10-4 spread uptick.
- UCLA, however, working on eight SU wins in a row after U-Dub result, and 7-1 vs. line in those games.
- Chip Kelly also on 7-2 “over” run.
Tech Play: Utah, Over
Auburn at Georgia (CBS, 3:30 p.m.)
- Bulldogs have whipped Tigers last two by 61-16 combined score.
- UGA has now won and covered last five meetings beginning with 2017 SEC title game.
- Harsin on 2-8 spread skid since late LY (that includes last week's cover vs. LSU).
- Auburn also on 19-9 “under” run since 2020, Kirby “under” 7-0 since late 2021, last five also “under” in series.
Tech Play: Georgia, Under
Kent State at Miami Ohio (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- Wild 48-47 OT win for Golden Flashes LY (was a spread push with Kent State -1).
- RedHawks 2-5 vs. line last seven as regular-season chalk in 2021.
Tech Play: Kent State
Toledo at Northern Illinois (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- Road dog has won outright last three meetings, though Rockets listed as an early favorite this week.
- Toledo was 5-1 vs. spread away in 2021 but has dropped first two on road in 2022.
- Note road team 6-2 vs. number last eight Huskies games.
- NIU also “over” 5-0 in 2022, 8-1 “over” last nine since late 2021.
Tech Play: Toledo, Over
Ball State at Central Michigan (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- Since Jim McElwain arrived at CMU in 2019, the road team has won and covered all three meetings.
- Even after last week's wild OT win and cover vs. NIU, Cards on 3-8 spread skid since mid 2021.
- Chips however have covered 8 of last 10 since mid 2021.
Tech Play: Central Michigan
Tulsa at Navy (CBSSN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Mids have covered six of last seven meetings.
- Remember Navy started slow 0-2 last season and ended up covering 8 of last 10 games.
- Mids 8-3 vs. spread last 11 as dog, also on 8-3 “under” run since mid 2021.
Tech Play: Navy, Under
Middle Tennessee at UAB (Stadium, 3:30 p.m.)
- Blue Raiders “over” last three in 2022 following UTSA result.
- Stockstill has also covered 4 of last 5 away from Murfreesboro.
- Blazers had covered 6 of last 7 on board since late 2021 prior to upset loss at Rice.
- UAB has covered last three as host.
Tech Play: Over
Ole Miss at Vanderbilt (SECN, 4:00 p.m.)
- Rebs have won last three meetings but couldn’t quite cover LY at Oxford.
- Dores “over” 5-1 since late 2021, though Rebs on 14-4 “under” run since late 2020.
Tech Play: Under
UNC at Miami Florida (ESPN2, 4:00 p.m.)
- Mack Brown 3-0 SU (2-1 vs. line) against Canes in "Mack 2.0" with Heels.
- UNC also on 13-7 “over” run since late 2020.
- Cristobal on 2-5 spread skid since late 2021 with Oregon and Miami.
Tech Play: UNC, Over
Washington at Arizona State (P12N, 4:00 p.m.)
- DeBoer now 4-1 SU and vs. line with Huskies after UCLA result.
- Inclined to throw out last year for U-Dub, including the cover vs. ASU in 2021.
- Sun Devils showed a bit of spunk in spread-covering effort at USC last week after three consecutive Ls.
- Sun Devils are also 12-2 SU and 13-1 vs. the points in this series against the Huskies.
- ASU was also "under" five straight before last week's "over" at the Coliseum.
Tech Play: Arizona State, Under
Duke at Georgia Tech (4:00 p.m.)
- Tech has covered two straight (including last week's Pitt upset for interim HC Brent Key).
- GT still just 6-13 last 19 on board, and 0-7 vs. points last seven at Bobby Dodd Stadium.
- Duke 4-1 SU and vs. line for Mike Elko in 2022.
- Duke failed to cover last seven as ACC visitor the past two years under Cutcliffe.
Tech Play: Duke
Ohio State at Michigan State (ABC, 4:00 p.m.)
- Buckeyes have crushed Spartans last two years by combined 108-19 score.
- After covering 11 of 15, Mel Tucker has dropped last three SU and vs. spread.
- He is 0-2 SU and vs. spread against Ryan Day.
- OSU 9-3 last 12 vs. spread as Big Ten visitor.
Tech Play: Ohio State
Western Kentucky at UTSA (ESPN+, 6:00 p.m.)
- Teams met twice last season including CUSA title game, Roadrunners won and covered shootouts both times.
- Both of those games “over” and UTSA now on 10-1 “over” run after MTSU result last Friday.
- Tops 9-1 vs. spread last ten against FBS-level foes.
- WKU “over” 12-6 since last season.
Tech Play: Western Kentucky, Over
Air Force at Utah State (FS1, 7:00 p.m.)
- Falcons 5-1-1 vs. spread last seven meetings.
- Utags just got first spread cover of 2022 vs. BYU after 4 Ls to open the season.
- Force 9-5 vs. line last 14 away.
- Falcs also on 7-2 “over” run despite another low-scoring Commander-in-Chief's battle vs. Navy last week.
Tech Play: Air Force, Over
UConn at FIU (FS1, 7:00 p.m.)
- Huskies 42 vs. line for Mora this season and actually 10-5 vs. spread since early 2021.
- Golden Panthers were 0-3 vs. spread for MacIntyre and no covers last eight from mid 2021 until last week.
- That was "under" in las Cruces but FIU “over” 9-6 since last season.
Tech Play: UConn
Southern Miss at Troy (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- Golden Eagles quietly 7-0 vs. line since late 2021.
- USM 5-0 as dog that span and 4-0 vs. spread as visitor.
- Golden Eagles also “over” 6-2 last eight since late 2021.
- Sumrall off to 4-1 spread start with Trojans.
- Troy had dropped five straight at home vs. spread before last week.
Tech Play: Southern Miss
Appalachian State at Texas State (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- Teams didn’t face last season though App won in five previous years, all but one of the wins by 21 or more.
- Bobcats are 5-1 vs. spread last six at San Marcos.
Tech Play: Appalachian State
James Madison at Arkansas State (NFLN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Gangbusters Sun Belt/FBS debut thus far for Dukes, 4-0 SU and vs. line.
- Red Wolves, however, 5-0 vs. line for Butch Jones, also on 9-3 “under” run since late mid 2021.
Tech Play: Under
Wyoming at New Mexico (CBSSN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Lobos pulled the upset at Laramie last season.
- Lobos have won outright and covered last two meetings as a double-digit dog (+15.5 and +19).
- UNM has actually covered last three in series.
- Bohl 2-8 as chalk since 2020.
- Last three meetings well “under” as well.
Tech Play: New Mexico, Under
UTEP at Louisiana Tech (ESPN+, 7:00 p.m.)
- Miners have covered last two meetings and won outright 19-3 LY at Sun Bowl.
- After an 0-4 start vs. line, UTEP has now covered two straight vs. Boise and Charlotte.
- The Miners were also “under” 4-0-1 this season prior to last week's wild 41-35 win over the 49ers.
- Bulldogs however on 12-4 “over” run.
Tech Play: UTEP
Army at Wake Forest (7:30 p.m.)
- Wake won wild 70-56 shootout last October at West Point.
- Black Knights 4-2 vs. spread last six as visitor, though Deacs 6-1 vs. line last seven as chalk.
Tech Play: Wake Forest
Washington State at USC (FOX, 7:30 p.m.)
- Trojans got Cougs 45-14 LY but that was before Wazzu began an ascent.
- Cougs 11-2 vs. spread in reg season since, also 6-1 last seven as dog.
- SC 3-1 vs. line for Riley but was just 2-5 vs. spread at home in aborted 2021.
Tech Play: Washington State
Iowa at Illinois (BTN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Illini hasn’t beaten Hawkeyes outright since 2008 though teams didn’t start to play annually again until 2014.
- Illinois has covered 2 of last 3 meetings, and Bielema 10-5 vs. spread since arriving.
- Ferentz 7-2 vs. line last nine as visitor.
- Illinois also “under” 11-5 since Bielema arrived (though a narrow "over" last week at Wisconsin).
Tech Play: Illinois, Under
Clemson at Boston College (ABC, 7:30 p.m.)
- Eagles have covered last two years in series, and Dabo only 1-4 vs. spread last five as ACC visitor.
- But rough start for Hafley in 2022, 1-4 vs. line.
- Noe 1-6 last seven and 3-9 last 12 vs. spread since mid 2021.
- BC also “under” six of seven and 11 of 13 since early 2021.
Tech Play: Clemson, Under
BYU vs. Notre Dame (NBC, 7:30 p.m.)
- First meeting of this Holy War since 2003-05, when the home side won and covered three successive games.
- Sitake 2-2 as dog since 2021, also just 1-6 vs. spread last seven away from Provo.
- Cougs also on 7-2 “over” run.
- Freeman has covered first two games this season away from South Bend.
Tech Play: Notre Dame, Over
Kansas State at Iowa State (ESPNU, 7:30 p.m.)
- Cyclones have won and covered last two meetings by DD margins.
- Cats, however, 13-8 as dog for Klieman since 2019.
- Campbell 5-2 vs. spread last 7 as Big 12 home chalk.
Tech Play: Iowa State
South Carolina at Kentucky (SECN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Cats have won and covered last two vs. Gamecocks and seven of last eight meetings.
- UK 8-1 vs. spread last nine against SC.
- Stoops 6-2 vs. spread last eight as SEC host.
- Shane Beamer 2-3 vs. spread as SEC visitor with Gamecocks.
Tech Play: Kentucky
Coastal Carolina at UL Monroe (ESPN+, 8:00 p.m.)
- Chants rolled a 59-6 scoreline on Warhawks LY.
- Road team had covered in seven straight ULM games since late 2021 prior to last week.
- Terry Bowden also working on 7-2 “under” run.
Tech Play: Coastal Carolina, Under
FSU at NC State (ACCN, 8:00 p.m.)
- Wolfpack has won and covered last two and four of last five meetings.
- Also 5-1 last six vs. spread against FSU.
- Norvell 6-1 vs. spread last six against FBS-level foes and has covered four straight away from home.
- Last three “under” in series.
Tech Play: NC State, Under
Texas A&M at Alabama (CBS, 8:00 p.m.)
- Revenge for Saban after 41-38 shock loss last year on October 9.
- First win for Ags vs. Bama since Johnny Manziel in 2012.
- A&M however has covered 3 of last 5 in series.
- Saban has covered last four in rare revenge spots.
- Last four “over” in series.
- Tide 7-2 vs. spread last nine as SEC host.
Tech Play: Alabama, Over
Oregon at Arizona (P12N, 9:00 p.m.)
- Ducks no covers last five away from Autzen Stadium.
- Cats 7-4 vs. line since mid 2021 as they stabilize for Jedd Fisch.
- Teams combined 8-2 “over” in 2022.
- Cats “over” 7-1 since late 2021.
- Webfoots “over” 6-2 last eight since late 2021.
- Last year’s meeting “over” in Eugene.
Tech Play: Arizona, Over
Fresno State at Boise State (FS1, 9:45 p.m.)
- Broncos rolled 40-14 LY at Dog House in first meeting since 2018.
- Tedford II is 0-4 vs. line with FSU this season, he’s also 3-12-1 vs. spread with Bulldogs since 2019.
- Fresno was 5-1 vs. line as visitor last season but 0-2 thus far in 2022.
Tech Play: Boise State
Hawaii at San Diego State (CBSSN, 10:30 p.m.)
- Home team 2-0-1 vs. line last three meetings, each of those “under” as well.
- Bows just 3-6 vs. spread on mainland since last season (1-1 for Timmy Chang).
- Aztecs 1-4 vs. spread in 2022.
- SDST 2-4 vs. spread last eight as host (1-1 in new Snapdragon Stadium this year).
Tech Play: Under
Oregon State at Stanford (ESPN, 11:00 p.m.)
- Beavs have covered last two meetings, including 35-14 win in Corvallis last season.
- OSU had broken 4-0 from gate vs. spread in 2022 before last week's loss at Utah.
- Shaw now on 11-game spread skid as Stanford hasn't notched a spread W since early October of last year!
Tech Play: Oregon State