Last Updated Oct 19, 2022, 9:16 AM
College Football Week 7 Tech Trends
US Sports Betting Industry Expert
American football betting expert and handicapper Bruce Marshall breaks down the top trends for each college football game of Week 6. Check them out below and be sure sure to visit our college football picks page for expert selections on games this week!
Thursday, Oct. 13
Baylor at West Virginia (FS1, 7:00 p.m.)
- Mounties have covered 3 of last 4 in series.
- WVU also 9-3-1 vs. spread last 13 at Morgantown.
- Bears however 13-6 vs. spread since last season.
Tech Play: West Virginia
Temple at UCF (ESPN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Golden Knights have covered four of last five meetings.
- Malzahn ran up 49-7 score in Philly LY.
- UCF now “under” last four in 2022 after SMU result on Oct. 5.
- Owls “under” 4-1 in 2022 for Stan Drayton.
Tech Play: UCF, Under
Friday, Oct. 14
Navy at SMU (ESPN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Mids started 0-2 vs. line last season before covering 8 of last 10.
- Mids covers last three after dropping first two following the demolition of Tulsa last week.
- Also 5-1 vs. line last six away from Annapolis.
- Navy has also covered 6 of last 8 non-Covid 2020 games vs. Mustangs.
- SMU now 2-8 spread skid since late 2021 after Oct. 5 loss to UCF, also “under” 4-1 this season.
Tech Play: Navy, Under
UTSA at FIU (CBSSN, 8:00 p.m.)
- Golden Panthers 1-4vs. line for Mike MacIntyre.
- 1-9 last ten vs. spread since mid 2021 after last week's loss to UConn.
- Also 1-6 vs. spread last seven as host. Roadrunners on 14-8 spread uptick since late 2020 for Jeff Traylor.
Tech Play: UTSA
Saturday, Oct. 15
Auburn at Ole Miss (ESPN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Auburn and Bryan Harsin only 2-9 vs. spread last eleven on board since late 2021.
- Harsin did get Ole Miss last year, however, and Kiffin 0-2 SU and vs. line against Tigers since taking over Rebs in 2020.
- Ole Miss “under” 15-5 since late 2020 (even after last week's "over" at Vandy).
Tech Play: Under
Old Dominion at Coastal Carolina (ESPNU, 12:00 p.m.)
- Monarchs 6-2 last eight as reg season dog.
- Chants only 1-5-1 vs. spread last seven at Conway.
- ODU also on 9-4 “under” run since mid 2021.
Tech Play: Old Dominion, Under
Kansas at Oklahoma (ESPN2, 12:00 p.m.)
- Jayhawks 5-0-1 vs. line in 2022.
- 8-0-1 vs. spread since late 2021 as we throw out previous numbers with KU.
- Sooners 0-3 SU and vs. line last three in 2022 and couldn’t cover last year vs. Jayhawks, either.
Tech Play: Kansas
Penn State at Michigan (ESPN2, 12:00 p.m.)
- Road team has won and covered last three meetings.
- The last two of those clashes were “under” as well as three of the last four meetings.
- Nittany Lions also on a 12-6 "under" run since last season, while Wolverines "under" 5-1 thus far in 2022.
- James Franklin only 3-3 last six as dog, though he is 7-2 vs. spread last nine as true visitor.
- Harbaugh 2-2 vs. spread at Ann Arbor this season but was 6-1 against line at Big House in 2021.
Tech Play: Penn State, Under
Iowa State at Texas (ABC, 12:00 p.m.)
- Cyclones have covered last two and won last three meetings outright.
- Texas and Steve Sarkisian, however, are 6-1 vs. spread since late last season after the Oklahoma rout last week.
Tech Play: Iowa State
Central Michigan at Akron (ESPN+, 12:00 p.m.)
- Teams haven’t met since 2019 when Chips won 45-24.
- McElwain has covered 5 of last 6 away from home.
- Also 8-3 last ten vs. line since late 2021 even after last week's loss to Ball State.
- Zips have covered two of last three for Joe Moorhead in 2022.
- His teams since 2019 at MSU & Akron are still just 6-13 vs. spread.
Tech Play: Central Michigan
Miami-Ohio at Bowling Green (ESPN+, 12:00 p.m.)
- RedHawks have won and covered last three meetings (didn’t play in Covid 2020 season).
- Miami on 6-1 “under” run since late 2021 after another "under" last week vs. Kent State.
- Falcs have cooled (1-4-1 vs. line to open 2022) after 8-4 spread breakthrough last season.
- BGSU “over” 10-3 since mid 2021 but note RedHawks result last November landed on “under” side.
Tech Play: Miami-Ohio
Minnesota at Illinois (BTN, 12:00 p.m.)
- Bret Bielema won this game as a DD dog last year at Minneapolis after PJ Fleck had battered Lovie Smith's Illini the previous two seasons.
- Illinois 6-2 vs. line last eight, 9-4-1 vs. spread last 14 since early 2021.
- Illini also “under” 11-6 for Bielema since LY.
- Note, however, the Gophers are 12-5 vs. spread since 2021.
Tech Play: Under
Miami-Florida at Virginia Tech (12:30 p.m.)
- Canes have won and covered 4 of last 5 in series.
- Miami only 1-4 vs. line for Cristobal in 2022 after third outright loss in a row last week vs. North Carolina.
- Hokies, however, only 1-5 vs. spread for Brent Pry.
- VPI now on 10-22 spread skid since late 2019 spanning Fuente and Pry regimes.
- Pry also “under” 5-1 in 2022.
Tech Play: Miami-Florida, Under
Buffalo at UMass (ESPN3, 1:00 p.m.)
- Bulls making a little surge here for Maurice Linguist, 3-0-1 vs. line last three and 4-1-1 vs. spread in 2022.
- Minutemen did cover last week vs. Liberty but still just 4-8 last 12 vs. spread since mid 2021 (3-3 vs. points for Don Brown).
- UMass also “under” 6-3 last nine since late 2021.
Tech Play: Buffalo, Under
California at Colorado (P12N, 2:00 p.m.)
- Dorrell closed his CU career losing and failing to cover five straight to open 2022.
- Buffs also “over” 7-3 last ten since mid 2021.
- Wilcox 11-6 vs. spread last 17 away from Berkeley.
- Cal has had less success laying points on the road (just 2-5 in role past 5+ seasons).
Tech Play: California
UConn at Ball State (ESPN3, 2:00 p.m.)
- Ugh! Jim Mora now 5-2 vs. line with Huskies, also 3-1 vs. spread away.
- UConn 11-5 spread uptick since early 2021, also 10-4 last 14 as dog.
- Cards 6-12 vs. spread since 2021.
Tech Play: UConn
Arkansas at BYU (ESPN, 3:30 p.m.)
- After last week's heavy loss to Mississippi State, Hogs no covers last four in 2022.
- Arkansas also “over” 5-1 to begin 2022.
- Note Pittman still 12-7 vs. points as dog since 2020.
- Cougs “over” 6-1 last seven, 8-2 last ten since late 2021.
Tech Play: Over
Northern Illinois at Eastern Michigan (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- Teams split last two seasons, home side winning and covering each.
- Huskies now “over” seven straight since late 2021 after last week's fireworks vs. Toledo.
- Eagles have failed to cover last three and five of last six at Ypsilanti.
Tech Play: Northern Illinois, Over
NC State at Syracuse (ACCN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Wolfpack has won last three meetings, though home side has also covered last three in series.
- Dino Babers 4-1 vs. spread in 2022 after 8-4 mark vs. line a year ago.
- 12-5 vs. points since 2021.
- NCS has failed to cover last three as visitor since late 2021.
Tech Play: Syracuse
Alabama at Tennessee (CBS, 3:30 p.m.)
- “Third Saturday in October.”
- Last Vols win over Tide came with Phil Fulmer against Mike Shula in 2006.
- Saban has covered five of last six in series.
- Though Tide only 4-5 vs. spread last nine away from Tuscaloosa.
- Heupel just 1-4 last five as dog , Vols also “over” 13-5 since last season.
Tech Play: Alabama, Over
Kent State at Toledo (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- Teams haven’t met since 2019. Golden Flashes were only 1-6 as dog in 2021 but 2-1 thus far getting points in 2022.
- Rockets 4-1 vs. spread last five hosting FBS-level foes at Glass Bowl.
- Rockets also “over” 8-3 last eleven (though only 3-3 in 2022).
Tech Play: Toledo, Over
Vanderbilt at Georgia (SECN, 3:30 p.m.)
- Since Derek Mason pulled the upset ‘tween the hedges in 2016.
- Kirby Smart has taken no prisoners vs. Dores, winning and covering next four by 178-33 total score.
- Dawgs, however, have failed to cover their five of their last six at Athens (the W coming last week vs. Auburn).
- Clark Lea is 5-3 last eight as dog for Dores.
Tech Play: Georgia
Maryland at Indiana (ESPN2, 3:30 p.m.)
- Hoosiers have won four straight in series and 3-1 vs. line in those.
- Though IU on 4-15 spread skid since late 2020 even after narrow cover vs. Michigan last week.
- Mike Locksley however only 3-9 vs. points last 12 as Big Ten visitor.
Tech Play: Indiana
Texas State at Troy (ESPN3, 3:30 p.m.)
- Trojans have won last seven outright in series but didn’t cover last year and just 2-2 vs. spread last four vs. Bobcats.
- TSU however is 0-3 vs. line away in 2022, and Troy 5-1 vs. spread in Sumrall debut.
Tech Play: Troy
Charlotte at UAB (Stadium, 3:30 p.m.)
- 49ers on 2-10 spread skid since mid 2021.
- UNCC “over” 9-1 last ten since late 2021.
- Home team is 4-0 vs. line in Blazers games this season (UAB 2-0 at home).
Tech Play: UAB
Western Kentucky at Middle Tennessee (ESPN+, 3:30 p.m.)
- Tops have won last three SU in series but covered just one of those (in 2021).
- WKU 6-1 vs. spread last six away from Bowling Green after last week's cover at UTSA.
- WKU also “over” 13-7 since last season.
- Lots of middling numbers for Blue Raiders.
Tech Play: Western Kentucky, Over
Oklahoma State at TCU (ABC, 3:30 p.m.)
- Home team has won and covered last four meetings.
- Mike Gundy ran up 63-17 score on Frogs at Stillwater last year.
- Frogs have broken 5-0 SU and vs. 4-0-1 line for Sonny Dykes in 2022.
- Though Gundy on 15-5 spread uptick with OSU.
Tech Play: TCU
Ohio at Western Michigan (3:30 p.m.)
- Teams haven’t met since 2019.
- Albin’s best role for Bobcats has been as MAC visitor in which he is 4-1 vs. spread since LY.
- Broncos 1-5 vs. line last five hosting FBS-level foes after last week's heavy home loss to cross-state EMU.
Tech Play: Ohio
James Madison at Georgia Southern (ESPN+, 4:00 p.m.)
- Raucous FBS debut for Dukes, 5-0 SU and vs. line out of chute after dusting off Ark State last week.
- Clay Helton however is 4-2 vs. line for his Eagles debut, GSU on 7-2 spread run since late 2021.
- Eagles also on 7-4 “under” run since late 2020, though flew well "over" last week vs. Georgia State.
Tech Play: James Madison
Wisconsin at Michigan State (FOX, 4:00 p.m.)
- Teams haven’t faced since 2019, when Badgers romped 38-0.
- Wiscy only 3-6 last nine vs. spread since late 2021.
- 1-3 vs. spread last four away from Camp Randall, though now 1-0 in each category under interim HC Jim Leonhard.
- Floor has fallen beneath Spartans, 0-4 SU and vs. line last four TY, also “under” 4–2 in 2022.
Tech Play: Wisconsin, Under
Tulane at USF (ESPNU, 4:00 p.m.)
- Wave romped 45-14 LY in one of only two Tulane SU wins of 2021.
- Willie Fritz now on 6-1 spread run since late 2021.
- Tulane also “under” 7-2 last nine since late 2021, and has covered four straight on road.
- Bulls only 2-4 SU and vs. line in 2022 though did get spread win in near-upset at Cincy last week.
Tech Play: Tulane, Under
Louisiana Tech at North Texas (ESPN+, 4:00 p.m.)
- Bulldogs have won last four SU in series, covering three of those, but all with Skip Holtz.
- Sonny Cumbie 3-2 SU and vs. line in 2022 after win over UTEP last week.
- La Tech also 8-1 “over” since late 2021, Mean Green “over” 4-2 in 2022.
Tech Play: Louisiana Tech, Over
Arizona at Washington (P12N, 5:30 p.m.)
- Jedd Fisch 7-5 vs. spread last 12 with Cats.
- DeBoer now 4-2 SU and vs. line with Huskies after back-to-back defeats.
- Jimmy Lake’s U-Dub couldn’t even cover this game a year ago vs. a bad UA team.
Tech Play: Arizona
Rice at FAU (ESPN+, 6:00 p.m.)
- Owls battle!
- Teams haven’t faced since 2016.
- Rice on upswing with four straight covers in 2022.
- Rice also “over” 5-0 this season and “over” nine in a row since late 2021.
- FAU back-and forth this season vs. spread but only 3-8 vs. line since mid 2021.
- Note Taggart “under” 19-8 since 2020.
Tech Play: Over
UL-Monroe at South Alabama (NFLN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Jags 4-1 SU and vs. line in 2022.
- Jags now on 5-1 spread uptick since late 2021.
- Terry Bowden 0-3 vs. spread away in 2022.
- Bowden also on 8-2 “under” run since late 2021.
Tech Play: South Alabama, Under
Utah State at Colorado State (CBSSN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Rams had lost and failed to cover ten straight prior to last Friday’s win at Nevada.
- Dog team has covered last three in series (didn’t meet in Covid 2020).
- Utags started 0-4 vs. line this season before covering last two, at BYU and a home upset of Air Force.
- CSU “under” six straight to begin 2022 after Wolf Pack result.
- Utags “under” 5-2 since late 2021.
Tech Play: Under
Arkansas State at Southern Miss (CBSSN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Before losing last week vs. the hurricane otherwise known as James Madison.
- Butch Jones has broken 5-0 vs. line this season with Red Wolves.
- He was 7-1 last eight vs. spread since late 2021.
- ASU “under” 9-4 last 13 since mid 2021 (though only 3-3 “under” in 2022).
- Golden Eagles had covered seven straight from late 2021 into October before last week's loss to Troy.
Tech Play: Under
LSU at Florida (ESPN, 7:00 p.m.)
- Tigers upset wins past two seasons dealt lethal blows to the Dan Mullen Gators regime.
- LSU has now won and covered three straight meetings.
- LSU also “over” in each of those.
- Napier 4-2 SU and 3-3 vs. line in Florida debut, Brian Kelly “under” 5-1 to start LSU tenure.
Tech Play: LSU
Memphis at ECU (ESPNU, 7:30 p.m.)
- Pirates won OT thriller at Liberty Bowl LY.
- Tigers recently got first cover as a visitor for Silverfield (at Navy) after 0-10-1 mark prior.
- Even after loss at Tulane last week, ECU on 13-6 spread uptick for Mike Houston since late 2020.
- Memphis also “over” 6-1 last seven since late 2021 after Houston result Oct. 7.
Tech Play: ECU, Over
Stanford at Notre Dame (NBC, 7:30 p.m.)
- David Shaw finally broke his 11-game spread skid (since early 2021) last week vs. Oregon State.
- To this series which began its modern iteration in 1988, and the Irish have won and covered last three meetings each by 21 or more.
- Visiting team also 4-0 vs. line in Irish games TY (ND 2-0 in role; could almost count that as 3-0 after BYU game in las Vegas last week).
- Last four “over” in series.
Tech Play: Notre Dame, Over
Clemson at FSU (NBC, 7:30 p.m.)
- Not long ago a featured rivalry in nation!
- Dabo has won and covered last four and won outright last six vs. Noles, whose last series win came in 2014.
- Dabo current 12-game SU win streak began with 30-20 win over FSU in Death Valley (miracle cover as well) last October 30.
- Mike Norvell, however has covered last five as dog after last week's result at NC State.
Tech Play: Clemson
Nebraska at Purdue (BTN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Huskers have won two in a row SU after Rutgers result but still just 1-5 vs. line this season.
- Brohm 3-1 SU and vs. line last four vs. Nebraska.
Tech Play: Purdue
Mississippi State at Kentucky (SECN, 7:30 p.m.)
- Home team has won and covered last seven meetings.
- Leach has covered six of last seven as SEC visitor, however.
- Last five meetings “under” as well.
- Stoops 12-6 vs. spread since 2021, even after last week's loss to South Carolina.
Tech Play: Kentucky, Under
UNC at Duke (ACCN, 8:00 p.m.)
- Mack Brown ran up scores on David Cutcliffe the past two seasons (38-7 last year, 56-24 in 2020).
- Heels 3-0 SU and 2-0-1 vs. line against Blue Devils since Mack reappeared in 2019.
- Duke, however, has started 4-2 SU and vs. line for Mike Elko in 2022.
Tech Play: UNC
USC at Utah (FOX, 8:00 p.m.)
- Trojans only 8-9 vs. line away from Coliseum since 2019.
- USC 8-11 vs. spread since late 2020 (though 4-2 for Lincoln Riley thus far in 2022).
- Utes 5-1 vs. spread last six at Salt Lake City also on 11-4 spread uptick since early 2021.
Tech Play: Utah
New Mexico at New Mexico State (8:00 p.m.)
- Ags have covered last two meetings (no game in Covid 2020).
- Lobos a respectable 3–2-1 vs. spread out of chute in 2022.
- UNM also “under” 12=6 since last season, though last three “over” in series.
Tech Play: Under
Washington State at Oregon State (P12N, 9:00 p.m.)
- Cougs have won last eight outright in series, 4-1 vs. spread last five, 6-2 vs. line last eight meetings.
- WSU has covered four of last five in 2022, 12-2 vs. spread last 14 in reg season vs. FBS-level foes.
- Also 7-2 last nine as dog. Beavs however have covered their last nine at Corvallis.
- "Overs" had hit eight straight in series until last year as well.
Tech Play: Washington State, Over
Air Force at UNLV (CBSSN, 10:30 p.m.)
- Falcs rolled 48-14 LY at Colorado Springs.
- After heavy loss last Friday at San Jose State, Rebs now no covers last two in 2022 after quick 4-0 break from gate.
- UNLV 10-3 vs. spread prior.
- Force also off of loss (at Utags) and now 5-3 vs. spread last eight away from home.
- Falcs also 8-2 “over” last ten since late 2021.
Tech Play: Air Force, Over
San Jose State at Fresno State (FS2, 10:45 p.m.)
- Spartans rolling again, now four straight covers after UNLV dismantling on Oct. 7.
- “Tedford 2.0" at FSU is 0-5 vs. line this season, and back to his last term with Bulldogs in 2019 he’s 3-13-1 vs. line.
Tech Play: San Jose State
Hawaii at Nevada (TBD)
- No wins or covers last four for Pack after loss to CSU at Reno on Oct. 7.
- Warriors finally got their first cover in four tries vs. FBS foes with Timmy Chang TY with a price under 50 points after a gallant near-miss (but handy cover) at San Diego State last week.
- Different teams a year ago, but Pack did cover all four on MW road in 2021.
Tech Play: Nevada