Last Updated Aug 30, 2021, 9:46 AM
Chiefs vs. Buccaneers Super Bowl 55 Predictions, Odds
Super Bowl 55 has arrived and the Kansas City Chiefs and Tampa Bay Buccaneers will meet in the NFL postseason finale on Sunday Feb. 7, 2021 from Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida.
With the help of contributions from our Editorial Staff and Handicappers, we’ll handicap the game with our content pieces and offer up our Best Bets on the Chiefs and Buccaneers.
Let's break down the game...
Odds Breakdown - Chiefs vs. Bucs
- Spread: Chiefs -3
- Money-Line: Kansas City -165 Tampa Bay +145
- Total: 56
Subject to Change
The Super Bowl 55 Betting Update from Micah Roberts has been following this number from the open.
Even though the games is being played in Tampa, the Chiefs have been installed as favorites and that number has held steady.
According to Roberts, the books are hoping that Kansas City will win the game but only by one or two points. If that happens, the books will pull off the double and win both action on the Chiefs laying the points and the Buccaneers on the money-line.
Could that happen?
The odds are certainly against it and the Super Bowl 55 Hot & Not Report by VI expert Matt Blunt provides great data mining on all of the historical spreads in the NFL finale and what happened in those outcomes. There's a great total lean and we'll get that to below in another Super Bowl 55 segment.
Super Bowl point-spreads that have closed at -3 or -3.5 since 2000
- 1974 - Steelers (-3) 16 vs. Vikings 6, Favorite-Under (33)
- 1978 - Steelers (-3.5) 35 vs. Cowboys 31, Favorite-Over(37)
- 1980 - Raiders (+3) 27 vs. Eagles 10, Underdog-Under (37.5)
- 1982 - Redskins (+3) 27 vs. Dolphins 17, Underdog-Over (36.5)
- 1983 - Raiders (+3) 38 vs. Redskins 9, Underdog-Under (48)
- 1984 - 49ers (-3) 38 vs. Dolphins 16, Favorite-Push (54)
- 1987 - Redskins (+3.5) 42 vs. Broncos 10, Underdog-Over (47)
- 2000 - Ravens (-3) 34 vs. Giants 7, Favorite-Over (34)
- 2002 - Buccaneers (+3.5) 48 vs. Raiders 23, Underdog-Over (44)
- 2010 - Packers (-3) 31 vs. Steelers 25, Favorite-Over (45)
- 2011 - Giants (+3) 21 vs. Patriots 17, Underdog-Under (53)
- 2016 - Patriots (-3) 34 vs. Falcons 28 (OT), Favorite-Over (57)
Looking above, you can see that the point-spread didn't matter in the Super Bowl when it was in this range except for the infamous "Black Sunday" finale between the Steelers and Cowboys back in the late seventies.
Overall, favorites and underdogs have gone 6-6 in the 12 situations.
You can read more about that situation and check out another great resource for the NFL finale in our Super Bowl History page.
The Super Bowl betting history covers the first 54 matchups of the NFL finale, focusing on the two teams, the betting lines and the final score.
This will be the fourth Super Bowl appearance for Kansas City and the second trip for the Tampa Bay franchise.
Super Bowl Betting History - Bucs & Chiefs
1-0 SU, 1-0 ATS, 1-0 OU
- 2003 - Tampa Bay 48 vs. Oakland 21, Buccaneers +4, Over 44
2-1 SU, 2-1 ATS, 0-2 OU
- 2020 - Kansas City 31 vs. San Francisco 20, Chiefs -1.5, Under 53
- 1970 - Kansas City 23 vs. Minnesota 7, Chiefs +12, Under 39
- 1967 - Kansas City 10 vs. Green Bay 35, Chiefs +14, NA
Looking above, you can see that the Chiefs will be looking to repeat as Super Bowl champions. As mentioned above, our Hot & Not report by Matt Blunt provides an in-depth look at teams looking to win two straight NFL titles.