Last Updated Nov 05, 2022, 5:29 PM
College Football Betting Trends - Week 9
US Sports Betting Industry Expert
NFL betting expert and handicapper Bruce Marshall breaks down the top trends for the entire Week 9 College Football slate. Check them out below and be sure sure to visit our CFB picks page for expert selections on games this week!
Thursday, October 27
Virginia Tech ve. N.C. State
- Teams last met in 2020, with VPI romping 45-24.
- Hokies however only 10-20 vs. line since, and 2-5 this season vs. spread for new HC Brent Pry.
- VPI also 3-12 last 15 vs. spread away from Blacksburg. Pack only 2-5 vs. points in 2022, however, no covers last four.
- Hokies “under” 6-1 in 2022.
Tech Play: Under
UL Lafayette vs. Southern Mississippi
- Michael Desormeaux 5-2 vs. spread in Ragin’ Cajuns debut after Ark State win.
- Golden Eagles recently had seven-game spread win streak snapped, now 8-2 vs. line last ten since late 2021 after win at Texas State.
- Tech edge-slight to Southern Miss, based on team trends.
Tech Play: Southern Mississippi
Utah vs. Washington State
- Utes have won last three outright in series (2-1 vs. line), last Cougs win in 2018.
- Note Utah only 3-6 vs. spread as visitor since last season, however.
- WSU has covered seven straight vs. FBS-level opposition at Pullman, also 7-3 last ten as dog (though no covers last two).
Tech Play: Washington State
Friday, October 28
East Carolina vs. BYU
- Pirates 5-2 vs. spread last seven as visitor, also 6-2 last eight as dog after last week's upset vs. UCF.
- Cougs no covers last six this season, 4-12 last 16 against number since early 2021.
Tech Play: East Carolina
Louisiana Tech vs. Florida International
- Teams haven’t met since 2019.
- Home team is 5-2 vs. spread in Bulldog games this season, Sonny Cumbie also “over” 6-1 in his maiden run with La Tech after last week's shootout vs. Rice.
- Golden Panthers 3-4 vs. spread in Mike MacIntyre debut after 3-13 spread mark previous two seasons, but note slight improvements lately including last week's romp past Charlotte.
Tech Play: Louisiana Tech, Over
Saturday, October 29
Ohio State vs. Penn State
- Road team has covered last three and four of last five in series.
- Buckeyes haven’t lost to Penn State since 2016.
- OSU 3-0-1 vs. spread last four this season.
- James Franklin 1-4 last five chances as underdog.
- Bucks on 10-5 “over” run.
Tech Play: Ohio State, Over
Georgia Tech vs. Florida State
- Last meeting 2020 Covid season opener when Jackets scored 16-13 upset at Doak Campbell in Mike Norvell debut for Noles.
- GT had won and covered twice as dog for interim Brent Key before UVa loss, and Jackets actually 4-3 last seven as visitor despite myriads of problems lately.
- FSU 3-7 vs. spread last ten at Tallahassee.
- GT also on 8-0-1 “under” run after ‘Hoos result.
Tech Play: Georgia Tech, Under
Notre Dame vs. Syracuse
- Irish 3-0 vs. line away from South Bend this season, 0-4 vs. spread at home after another non-cover at Notre Dame Stadium last week vs. UNLV.
- These two teams did meet in 2020 at South Bend, ND won 45-21 but no cover.
- ‘Cuse 6-1 vs. spread in 2022, 13-4 vs. points since early 2021 for Dino Babers.
- Dino also on 8-3 “under” run since late 2021.
Tech Play: Syracuse, Under
Oklahoma vs. Iowa State
- Highly-competitive series lately in which Cyclones have covered 5 of last 7 meetings (though Sooners have covered last two).
- All of those games decided by ten or fewer.
- Hard-luck Cyclones have dropped last four outright this season but still 2-1-1 vs. spread in those games.
- OU no covers last four this season for Brent Venables.
Tech Play: Iowa State
Arkansas vs. Auburn
- Sam Pittman 0-2 SU, 1-1 vs. line against Tigers past two seasons.
- Porkers however 8-4-1 vs. spread away from Fayetteville since 2020.
- Bryan Harsin has covered 2 of last 3 this season but was 1-8 vs. line preceding nine games.
Tech Play: Arkansas
Miami Ohio vs. Akron
- Zips have actually covered 2 of last 3 in series despite great difficulties otherwise since 2019, though road team has also covered last four meetings.
- RedHawks 2-8 as chalk since 2021, also on 8-1 “under” run since late last season after last week vs. WMU.
Tech Play: Under
Toledo vs. Eastern Michigan
- Nearby foes, with road team 2-0-1 vs. line last three meetings, those three also “over” as well.
- Rockets had won and covered three straight in 2022 before last week's come-from-ahead loss to Buffalo, so UT now 7-4 vs. spread since late 2021.
- Eagles just 3-6 vs. spread since 2020 vs. MAC foes at Ypsilanti.
Tech Play: Toledo, Over
South Florida vs. Houston
- Meetings “over” the past two seasons.
- Bulls only 2-5 vs. spread this season but are 2-1 against number away.
- Also “over” 5-2 in 2022.
- Cougs 0-3 vs. spread as host in 2022 but “over” 6-1 this season.
Tech Play: Over
TCU vs. West Virginia
- Great success lately in series for Mountaineers, who have won last four (3-0 for Neal Brown) and covered last six against Frogs.
- All vs. pre-Sonny Dykes TCU, however, and Sonny 7-0 SU
- WVU 5-6 last eleven as dog.
Tech Play: TCU
Boston College vs. Connecticut
- Eagles a slumping 1-8 vs. spread last nine since late 2021 after last week's heavy loss to Wake Forest, also 3-11 last 14 vs. number since early 2021.
- Jim Mora 6-2 vs. spread this season with Huskies, and UConn on 11-5 spread uptick since early 2021.
- BC also 6-13 “under” since last season, and no covers last three as chalk.
- Tech edge- UConn and slight to “under,” based on team and “totals” trends.
Tech Play: Connecticut, Under
Miami Florida vs. Virginia
- Competitive series lately with last three decided by single-digit margins (Mia 2-1 SU but 1-2 vs. line).
- Canes however really laboring with 0-6 spread mark since Bethune-Cookman opener.
- Cavs however not much better for Tony Elliott (2-5 vs. spread), but these teams are “under” a combined 9-5 in 2022.
- Tech edge-“Under,” based on “totals” trends.
Tech Play: Under
Charlotte vs. Rice
- 49ers 3-11 spread skid since mid 2021, but HC Will Healy was dismissed after last Saturday's loss to FIU.
- Charlotte also “over” 9-3 last twelve since late 2021.
- Rice 6-0 vs. number last five in 2022 and “over” 10-1 last eleven after wild OT win at La Tech.
Tech Play: Over
Rutgers vs. Minnesota
- Schiano 9-3-1 vs. spread as visitor since taking over Scarlet Knights in 2020 (1-1-1 this season away).
- Rutgers also “under” 10-1 last 11 away from Piscataway.
- PJ Fleck was on 11-2 spread run with Gophers until recent setbacks vs. Purdue, Illinois, and Penn State last week.
- Tech edge-Rutgers and “under,” based on team and “totals” trends.
Tech Play: Rutgers, Under
Old Dominion vs. Georgia State
- Monarchs 8-4 vs. line last twelve reg season since late 2021 after last week's close loss to Georgia Southern (ODU only 2-4 vs. spread to date in 2022, however).
- ODU also 10-5 “under” since early 2021.
- Panthers closed fast in 2021 (7-1 vs. spread) but just 2-4 vs. line to open 2022.
- Tech edge-slight to Old Dominion and “under,” based on team and “totals” trends.
Tech Play: Old Dominion, Under
Oklahoma State vs. Kansas State
- Mike Gundy 3-0 SU, 2-1 vs. line against Chris Klieman since 2019. Gundy also 15-5 vs. spread since LY, and Cowboys have covered 10 in a row away from Stillwater.
- Wildcats 3-3 as underdog since LY.
Tech Play: Oklahoma State
SMU vs. Tulsa
- Golden Hurricane has covered last five meetings.
- Mustangs only 1-5 vs. spread last six as visitor, also 3-9 vs. line since mid 2021 even after last week's Cincy cover.
- Tulsa 3-2-1 vs. spread last six as host.
Tech Play: Tulsa
Illinois vs. Nebraska
- Bret Bielema won and covered this game in his Illini debut last season, and Illinois has won outright as dog last two meetings.
- Illini has also covered last three in series.
- Bielema 7-2 spread uptick since late last season, also “under” 12-5 with Illinois.
- Huskers 1-3 vs. spread this season at Lincoln.
Tech Play: Illinois
Cincinnati vs. Central Florida
- Luke Fickell has won last three vs. Golden Knights though home team has covered all three of those meetings.
- Cincy however just 1-7-1 vs. spread last nine away Nippert Stadium after failing to cover last week at SMU.
- Gus Malzahn has big wins and covers last two at home this season.
- UCF surprising 7-2 “under” since late 2021.
Tech Play: Central Florida
New Mexico State vs. Massachusetts
- Ags romped in this one 44-27 last season.
- Both sides “under” 5-2 this season.
Tech Play: Under
Oregon vs. California
- Golden Bears have covered last three vs. Ducks, those games all “under” as well.
- Justin Wilcox 6-2 as a dog since last season, and 24-9 since taking over at Cal in 2017, and the Bears are 6-1 their last seven vs. spread at Berkeley.
- Oregon 1-4 vs. spread last five away from Autzen Stadium.
Tech Play: California, Under
Wake Forest vs. Louisville
- Scott Satterfield has covered all three vs. Deacs since taking over Cards in 2019, though did suffer SU loss last year at Winston-Salem.
- ‘Ville only 5-5 vs. spread last ten as host even after last week's win over Pitt.
- Meanwhile, Deacs on 7-1 spread uptick since late 2021 after romping past BC last week, and have also covered last five away from Winston-Salem.
- Last six “over” in series as well.
Tech Play: Wake Forest, Over
North Texas vs. Western Kentucky
- Teams haven’t met since 2016.
- Tops now on 12-3 spread uptick since early 2021 after Friday win over UAB, also 5-1 vs. spread last six vs. FBS foes at home.
- Mean Green 11-4 vs. spread since mid 2021, also 8-1 last nine vs. number as visitor after close loss at UTSA last week.
- Tech edge-slight to Western Kentucky, based on team trends.
Tech Play: Western Kentucky
Temple vs. Navy
- Mids have won and covered last two meetings.
- Owls 0-3 SU and vs. line away this season for Stan Drayton and smashed in all of those games, now 0-7 vs. line away since early 2021.
- Navy was on 4-game cover streak and was 12-4 last 16 on board before Houston loss last week.
Tech Play: Navy
Florida vs. Georgia
- Kirby got the Gators 34-7 last season and now 4-1 SU and vs. line last five in this bitter rivalry.
- Florida on 3-11 spread skid since mid 2021 (though only 3-4 for Napier).
- Georgia 10-2 vs. spread away from Athens since last season.
Tech Play: Georgia
Northwestern vs. Iowa
- Cats have covered last two and five of last six in series, though NU hasn’t won outright since opener in Dublin vs. Huskers.
- Hawkeyes 2-5 vs. spread last seven in Iowa City, also “under” 6-3 since late 2021.
- Tech edge-Northwestern and “under,” based on series and “totals” trends.
Tech Play: Northwestern, Under
Missouri vs. South Carolina
- Wins and covers last three years in series for Tigers. Mizzou covered three straight games it lost outright between Sept. 24-Oct. 8 before last week's SU win but non-cover vs. Vandy.
- Eli Drinkwitz 9-3 vs. line since late 2021.
- Tigers also on 9-1 “under” run since late 2021.
- Shane Beamer very middling thus far with Gamecocks (10-9 vs. line, 4-3 “over” this season).
Tech Play: Missouri, Under
South Alabama vs. Arkansas State
- Wins and covers last three years in series for Jags.
- Though no covers last three in 2022 for USA after opening 4-0 vs. spread.
- Butch Jones 6-2 vs. spread with Red Wolves this season.
Tech Play: South Alabama
Kentucky vs. Tennessee
- Road team has won outright last three years in series.
- The UK win at Knoxville in 2020 was its first at Neyland Stadium since 1984.
- Cats have covered their last four as an underdog.
- Josh Heupel 6-1 vs. spread this season, also now on 15-4 “over” run since early last season.
- Mark Stoops, however, 7-1 “under” last eight since late 2021.
Tech Play: Kentucky
Colorado State vs. Boise State
- Wins and covers last two years in series for Broncos. Rams have followed up their recent 10-game spread and SU skid with covers in three straight games, including two wins.
- CSU also “under” 7-0 for Jay Norvell this season.
- Boise 11-3 “under” since early 2021 (though only 4-3 this season).
Tech Play: Boise State, Under
USC vs. Arizona
- Cats have covered last two meetings after
- Trojans had covered previous four.
- Arizona hasn’t beaten SC outright since 2012, however.
- Arizona “over” 8-2 last ten since late 2021
- SC “over” 6-4 last ten since late 2021.
Tech Play: Over
Coastal Carolina vs. Marshall
- Chants on 3-10-1 spread skid since mid 2021.
- Herd was 0-4 vs. previous four in 2022 until last week's upset at James Madison.
- Marshall also “under” 10-3 last 13 since mid 2021.
Tech Play: Under
UAB vs. Florida Atlantic
- Blazers won and covered last year, didn’t meet in 2020 following Owls winning 2019 CUSA title game in romp over UAB when Lane Kiffin still in Boca Raton.
- Blazers now 0-3 vs. spread away for Bryant Vincent after Friday loss at WKU, also “under” 5-2 in 2022.
- Owls back-and forth this season vs. spread but only 3-10 vs. line since mid 2021 after closing slow last season.
- Note Willie Taggart also “under” 21-8 since 2020 after last week's "under" at UTEP.
Tech Play: Under
Mississippi vs. Texas A&M
- Rebs won and covered this game 29-19 last year at Oxford, didn’t meet in 2020.
- After Lane Kiffin 4-2 vs. spread last six as visitor, Jimbo “under” 12-7 since last season.
- Last four meetings back to 2017 also “under” as well.
Tech Play: Ole Miss, Under
Baylor vs. Texas Tech
- Last three meetings decided by 7 points total.
- Bears only 3-5 vs. spread as visitor since last season.
- Red Raiders 4-0 SU at home for McGuire in 2022, also “over” 5-2 this season.
Tech Play: Texas Tech, Over
Michigan State vs. Michigan
- Harbaugh revenge after loss in East Lansing last season, Mel Tucker actually 2-0 SU and vs. line against Harbaugh last two seasons.
- Though Spartans had lost and failed to cover four in a row before recent win over Wiscy in OT.
- Wolverines 9-3 vs. line at Ann Arbor since last season, also on 6-1 “under” run since late 2021.
Tech Play: Michigan, Under
Arizona State vs. Colorado
- Buffs had lost and failed to cover first five this season before Cal win, then proceeded to revert to form last week vs. Oregon State ina heavy loss.
- ASU has covered last three in 2022 with interim Shaun Aguano, though absorbing a bitter 15-14 loss at Stanford last week.
Tech Play: Arizona State
Pittsburgh vs. North Carolina
- Last eight meetings decided by seven points or fewer.
- Pat Narduzzi and Panthers had covered last ten non-bowl games away from Heinz Field/Acrisure Stadium prior to last week's loss at the 'Ville.
- Note Heels just 2-5 vs. points last seven at Chapel Hill.
Tech Play: Pittsburgh
Middle Tenn vs. UTEP
- Teams haven’t met since 2018.
- Blue Raiders cooling down a bit, no covers last three this season.
- Stockstill “over” 4-1 last five in 2022.
- After last week's win over FAU, Miners 6-3 vs. spread at Sun Bowl since early 2021 (1-2 TY).
Tech Play: UTEP, Over
Nevada vs. San Jose State
- Spartans have covered last two meetings.
- Pack fading fast, no wins or covers last six this season, hard to cite marks from recent seasons as comparison.
- SJSU 8-4 vs. spread since mid 2021, also “under” 6-1 last seven since late 2021.
Tech Play: San Jose State, Under
San Diego State vs. Fresno State
- Bulldogs won and covered 30-20 at Carson last season, teams didn’t meet in 2020.
- Aztecs 2-4-1 vs. line last seven as visitor after last week's win at Nevada, 3-8 vs. spread last eleven non-bowl games.
- Fresno now working on back-to-back wins and covers after recording a 3-13-1 spread mark in the seventeen previous games under Jeff Tedford in 2019 and earlier this season.
Tech Play: Under
Stanford vs. UCLA
- Tree had owned this series with eleven straight wins until Bruins won and covered two of last three meetings.
- UCLA hasn’t beaten Stanford at Rose Bowl since 2008, 0-6 SU and vs. spread since.
- But Bruins 9-1 SU and 8-2 vs. spread last ten since last 2021, and David Shaw had recent 11-game spread skid before covers vs. Oregon State and Notre Dame.
- Chip Kelly also on 10-2 “over” run.
Tech Play: UCLA, Over
Wyoming vs. Hawaii
- Stunner last year when Bows romped 38-14 at Laramie in late November, Wyo had won 31-7 at home in Covid 2020.
- Cowboys have covered last three as MW visitor.
- Hawaii has recovered somewhat to cover 5 of last 6 this season, also “under” 6-1 last seven.
- Bohl, however, surprising 10-4 “over” since mid 2021.
Tech Play: Wyoming